Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tisket

Re: Sticky: Phillips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

Post by tisket » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:16 pm

Thanks Pugsy for the info.
---------------------------------------------------
ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset, Aloha nasal pillow mask using HoseBuddy for overhead hose management, Nexcare paper tape for mouth

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:17 pm

I have also found...that some online sellers are nothing more than a front for a much larger DME - and probably get around the contract requirements of the original DME - think of it as a typical corporate shell game. Lincare is a large DME that seems to have a few different online presences - that have different online prices for the same products! :shock:
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.
My posts are sometimes tongue & cheek w/some snarky sarcasm mixed in.
I leave it up to you to figure it out!
:wink:

--

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:32 pm

Buddy0329 wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:51 pm

I also dont want to jeopardize the non-public coupon code.
What's the big secret? ApriaDirect (https://www.apriadirect.com/resmed-airs ... humidifier) has the machine for $575 less 15% current discount ($489) shipping free.

If a 20% discount is important, coupon codes for 20% can be found here - https://www.offers.com/stores/apriadirect/
Last edited by ChicagoGranny on Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sleep2Die4

Post by Sleep2Die4 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:43 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:32 pm
Buddy0329 wrote:

What's the big secret? ApriaDirect (https://www.apriadirect.com/resmed-airs ... humidifier) has the machine for $475 less 15% current discount ($404) shipping free.

If a 20% discount is important, coupon codes for 20% can be found here - https://www.offers.com/stores/apriadirect/
Granny, they quoted me the same this morning. I sent them an order and uploaded my prescription within five minutes. Another five minutes passed, and they told me they were out of stock.

By lunchtime, I picked up a steal off Craigslist. The guy had only used it for a few hours and still had the original box. I am embarrassed to say how cheap he let it go. He told me he had very good private insurance and didn't mind selling it cheap. Lucky me!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:48 pm

Sleep2Die4 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:43 pm
Granny, they quoted me the same this morning. I sent them an order and uploaded my prescription within five minutes. Another five minutes passed, and they told me they were out of stock.
That sounds like the bumbling way Apria operates at their brick & mortar locations. :evil:
Sleep2Die4 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:43 pm
Lucky me!
:D

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:07 pm

For those buying CPAP machines at prices below normal resellers, it may advised to use a bit of caution to ensure the machine you buy has a US warranty through the manufacturer. Not sure if it applies to CPAP equipment, but for many goods there is what is known as a 'gray market' as I explain below and in the link.

A few years back when I was doing pro photography, there were resellers of major brand camera gear that offered discounted cameras and lenses priced well below the regular retailers. The cameras and lenses were the same as you buy in the regular retail store, but were sold without the manufacturers USA warranty and as such the manufacturers US repair facilities generally would not cover a repair to this equipment. This equipment was known and sold as 'gray market' and sometimes the seller was not a factory authorized reseller. Sometimes a gray market seller will provide a warranty that does not include the manufacturer, but rather a secondary service that does repairs. Gray market goods most times may be imports to the US from other countries and possibly may not be up to US standards.

https://www.referenceforbusiness.com/en ... arket.html

Buddy0329

Post by Buddy0329 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:31 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:32 pm
Buddy0329 wrote:

What's the big secret? ApriaDirect (https://www.apriadirect.com/resmed-airs ... humidifier) has the machine for $475 less 15% current discount ($404) shipping free.

Initially I didnt know if I should be concerned given our sponsor. The sensitivity with the code arose because I didn't source it from one of the coupon sites so I didn't want to jeopardize it. When I placed my order I could only find 15% off from publicly posted codes. Out of curiosity, did you really see it listed for $475 or was that typo and meant to type $575? I never saw it listed at the lower price. Either way, I'm just happy to have found a replacement for my Dreamstation quickly and at a decent price.

If anyone is looking for an AirMini.....Cpapsupplyusa.com = $649 before 20% off Coupon Code SAVE20 = $519.20. I ordered one of those with N20 setup pack for $566.40.
Last edited by Buddy0329 on Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:49 pm

Buddy0329 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:31 pm
Out of curiosity, did you really see it listed for $475 or was that typo and meant to type $575?
My mistake. It was $575. I did the chat bubble and they quoted me 15% discount, free shipping. They asked me to upload a prescription. I ended the chat bubble. If I had stayed on, I wonder if they would have done a Sleep2Die4 on me?

HairyReasoner

Post by HairyReasoner » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:59 pm

So, I finally got through on the phone to the Phillips Respironics line for the recall. I've seen other people post a lot of information from what they were told when they called, and I don't see how they got the Phillips folks to talk so much. The message on the phone warned me they wouldn't be giving out any information in addition to what was on the web site, and that's pretty much the case. The representative told me that they didn't know when we'd get the emails in response to registering our units, and they didn't know anything about how the recall will work, how long it would take, or when they'd even start taking the machines for repair/replacement. I pretty much learned nothing. The only thing I could do was confirm my registration from the web site went through.

On another note, I called Blue Cross Blue Shield, and it looks like you can forget any help from them if they're your insurer. Their position is this is up to Phillips and your DME to make right. We should be pressing them to either fix/replace our unit or give us a temporary loaner until we can get our machine fixed/repaired. They're not budging on waiving the 5 year requirement.

Dan_McD

Post by Dan_McD » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:51 pm

HairyReasoner wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:59 pm
So, I finally got through on the phone to the Phillips Respironics line for the recall. I've seen other people post a lot of information from what they were told when they called, and I don't see how they got the Phillips folks to talk so much. The message on the phone warned me they wouldn't be giving out any information in addition to what was on the web site, and that's pretty much the case. The representative told me that they didn't know when we'd get the emails in response to registering our units, and they didn't know anything about how the recall will work, how long it would take, or when they'd even start taking the machines for repair/replacement. I pretty much learned nothing. The only thing I could do was confirm my registration from the web site went through.

On another note, I called Blue Cross Blue Shield, and it looks like you can forget any help from them if they're your insurer. Their position is this is up to Phillips and your DME to make right. We should be pressing them to either fix/replace our unit or give us a temporary loaner until we can get our machine fixed/repaired. They're not budging on waiving the 5 year requirement.
You have been given the same answers I have been given. I have a comment in this thread where I talked to United Health and they called Philips and connected me with a guy named John. Ditto on what you experienced. I did finally get the sleep doctor to tell me to stop the DS and buy the ResMed.

Additional Comments: Quattro FX, 1L Everflo Q Concentrator, OSCAR Software - Q-Mirage as back-up

HairyReasoner

Post by HairyReasoner » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:14 pm

Dan_McD wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:51 pm
I did finally get the sleep doctor to tell me to stop the DS and buy the ResMed.
Re: Sticky: Phillips Respironics recent recall notice discussion threadQuote HairyReasoner
by HairyReasoner » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:59 pm
I'll be talking to my doctor in a few days. My prescription has been for a BIPAP, but if I'm going to have to pay for it myself I may have to try bumping down to a CPAP Auto. I'll have to see if he'll give me a prescription for that with the understanding that machine will be for backup purposes, and I'll go back to BIPAP once my machine is repaired/replaced.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:26 pm

HairyReasoner wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:14 pm
BIPAP,
Since "BiPAP™" is a trademark of Philips Respironics, can we start moving to permanently banning the incorrect generic use of that term to mean "Bilevel" machine?

Last edited by palerider on Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

HairyReasoner

Post by HairyReasoner » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:35 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:26 pm
HairyReasoner wrote:
BIPAP,
Since "BiPAP™" is a trademark of Philips Respironics, can we start moving to permanently banning the incorrect generic use of that term to mean "Bilevel machine"?
Maybe we can shorten it to Bilevel to save on typing machine all the time.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:05 pm

HairyReasoner wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:35 pm
palerider wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:26 pm
HairyReasoner wrote:
BIPAP,
Since "BiPAP™" is a trademark of Philips Respironics, can we start moving to permanently banning the incorrect generic use of that term to mean "Bilevel" machine?
Maybe we can shorten it to Bilevel to save on typing machine all the time.
That is what most people call them... let me fix the quotes in my suggestiopn.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Woody

Post by Woody » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:55 pm

My Dr. has already called in a perscription for a new Resmed bilevel machine.
But being on Medicare are they likely to refuse to let me have a new machine
because my Dreamstation isn't 5 years old yet ?

I am sick Dreamstations. Mine had to be replaced under warranty twice and
darn if the replacement for the replacement doesn't fail the onboard self test
oh it seemed to work fine but failed the onboard self test then along came this recall.

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software