I asked for an auto bi-pap, now what should I expect?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Paul B

Post by Paul B » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:51 pm

Like Maryb, I used to use the Resmed Vantage and I think it is a good APAP, but I was still taking short catnaps during the day from not being totally rested when I woke up in the morning.

Since switching to the Respironics Bi-pap auto about 3 months ago, I find my breathing to be much more comfortable and I end up sleeping another hour to hour and a half each night. I also no longer require naps during the day. Perhaps the Respironics algorithm matches my sleep needs better also, but it's hard to say. I did notice that my inhale pressure requirement went up by 1 to 1 1/2 cm, while my expiratory pressure remained the same.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): respironics, resmed, auto, APAP

Maryb

Post by Maryb » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:00 pm

Paul B-
I think that the Respironics algorithm works better for me too. The Vantage responds really fast to an apnea with the result that it would often wake me up and I'd be choking against the sudden blast of air from the rapid pressure increase. Whereas, the respironics bipap seems to respond to an apnea by ramping up in a series of steps. You can even see the steps on the Encore graphs.

Also, I have noticed a change in my pressure requirements. I was titrated on an auto at 7-14. On the Vantage I had to decrease the top pressure setting down to 12 because of aerophagia. But with the bipap (which I set at 7-14) , I've noticed that my 90% IPAP pressure is always at 14, the top of the range.
I'm thinking I need to increase it to 15 or more. I've already increased the EPAP pressure up to 8. The increase in the EPAP setting knocked my AHI routinely below 2! Luckily I seem to be able to tolerate the higher pressure setting because of the nature of the bipap.

Also, I use a hybrid and it works just great on the bipap. I notice the pushups effect a little. But the mask leaks even less than it did on the Vantage.

Maryb