Is a Pulmonologist a good fit for a sleep doctor?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lemerk

Is a Pulmonologist a good fit for a sleep doctor?

Post by lemerk » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:12 pm

I have been diagnosed and have been using a cpap since 2005. My primary care doctor sent me to have a sleep study done because I was having daily headaches and she thought maybe my oxygen level was dropping at night. She was right, I was diagnosed with OSA and the headaches stopped. I can't really remember how many sleep studies I had because of needing new equipment, or insurance change and needed new equipment. Anyway, my last study was in December 2018 ordered again by my primary care doctor(different doctor though). Well, I have been having trouble staying asleep since forever but Its been worse for a couple of months now. I take ambien cr ever since I started having trouble getting to sleep at around 2008. I worked shiftwork at the time, now I am retired.
I promise I will get to my question.
In about 2008 I had seen a sleep doctor that was a neurologist but haven't seen that office in about 10 years.
I got and sd card for my machine since the dme didn't supply me with one. UGH! and I have downloaded OSCAR. My AHI is usually under 2 so great right! well I am feeling very unrefreshed in the morning and as I said I wake up a lot for unknown reasons. (i don't have to go to the bathroom or anything like that)
My current dme that I had the sleep study at uses a local pulmonologist. I made an appointment but I just don't know, should I go back to the neurologist?
Oh one other question, I used to take gabapentin for anxiety. I remembered last night that I thought I slept better when I took it. So I still had a few left and I decided to take it last night at bedtime. I'll post my oscar report.
So sorry if that was rambly and unintelligible.download/file.php?mode=view&id=15011

Edit: Just to add, the first four or so hours of sleep my fitbit says i was in deep sleep.
Attachments
screenshot-20210316-181016.png
screenshot-20210316-181016.png (361.68 KiB) Viewed 579 times
Last edited by lemerk on Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julie

Re: Is a Pulmonologist a good fit for a sleep doctor?

Post by Julie » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:02 pm

How much sleep 'interest' does the pulmonologist have... because they'd be at least as good as, if not usually better than, a neurologist. Are they known to have a subspecialty in sleep?

lemerk

Post by lemerk » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:49 pm

Julie wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:02 pm
How much sleep 'interest' does the pulmonologist have... because they'd be at least as good as, if not usually better than, a neurologist. Are they known to have a subspecialty in sleep?
The pulmonologist I am seeing is the one that has been reading my sleep study reports. Ive never met him, so I guess I'll try him out.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:07 pm

A pulmonologist could well be just fine. It's really the attentiveness, knowledge, and interest that count.

I'm curious about two things in the posted chart. Why did you sleep for 12 hours? And did something change from around 1:30 onward?
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:08 pm

Any doctor wanting to serve in sleep medicine should have full certification in sleep medicine.
Either a neurologist or a pulmonologist can do the work and get the certification.
Whether they did is up to the patient to find out.
One or the other may be more appropriate for a given patient, depending on their situation.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lemerk

Post by lemerk » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:24 am

Miss Emerita wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:07 pm

I'm curious about two things in the posted chart. Why did you sleep for 12 hours? And did something change from around 1:30 onward?
I went to bed very early because of not sleeping well the night before. I basically couldn't wait to get to bed.

I'm not sure what happened at 1:30. I didn't wake up as far as i remember.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:16 pm

OK, good, so you don't usually sleep that long. I was asking about 1:30 because your night looked so peaceful before that. If something happened around then -- you turned onto your back, e.g. -- that might provide a clue to what you need for better sleep.

You mention that you're taking gabapentin for anxiety. It can also help with restless leg syndrome during the night. Were you ever evaluated for that condition? Also, be aware that gabapentin can cause sleepiness during the day in some people.

You might also talk with the new doctor about your long-term use of ambien, which is generally not recommended.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:47 pm

If they are board certified in sleep medicine, as well then yes.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:52 pm

My excellent sleep doctor is a pulmonologist, with ABSM certification. So yes, as far as I'm concerned, definitely a good background for a sleep doctor *smile*. Of course, there are a lot of personal factors as well that make any doctor a useful partner, but a pulmonology background is a good start.