Fingers crossed Vitamin D is my fix!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
USMCVet

Fingers crossed Vitamin D is my fix!

Post by USMCVet » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:33 pm

I've spent thousands on sleep. From mattresses, to adjustable bases, to toppers, pillows, sheets and comforters and Ive still always been tired.

I finally "fired" my VA primary care team to get a new one. I laid it all out there including exhaustion, muscle pain and spasms, muscle fatiguability, and basically whole body hurts.

New primary ordered blood work and so far I've learned I most likely don't have RA, that I have elevated crp levels but normal sed rate and that my vitamin D is 6! 12 and under is deficient. So I'll be starting lots of vitamin D soon.

Still waiting on more blood work but hoping vitamin D will bring some relief.

palerider

Re: Fingers crossed Vitamin D is my fix!

Post by palerider » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:48 pm

USMCVet wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:33 pm
my vitamin D is 6! 12 and under is deficient.
My latest lab work (56) said that "normal is 25-100"

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:45 pm

My "magic pill" is two ibuprofen before bed.
It makes all the difference

elsueno

Post by elsueno » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:01 am

x

Last edited by elsueno on Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:46 am

Indeed, mine was 56 ng/ml,

and it goes on to say:
Deficient < 20
insufficient 20-29
sufficient 30-100 ng/ml

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:36 am

palerider wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:48 pm
USMCVet wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:33 pm
my vitamin D is 6! 12 and under is deficient.
My latest lab work (56) said that "normal is 25-100"
My range says over 50 is potentially toxic range and that the old values were up to 100 as ok.
"NEW Interpretation as of 7/1/13
Vit D deficient <12 ng/mL
Vit D insufficient 12-20 ng/mL
Vit D sufficient 21-50 ng/mL
Vit D potential intoxication >50 ng/mL
OLD Interpretation prior to 7/1/13
Vit D deficient < 10 ng/mL
Vit D insufficient 10-29 ng/mL
Vit D sufficient 30-100 ng/mL
Vit D potential intoxication > 100 ng/mL"

Anyone have a clue how long it takes for body to recover from vitamin d deficiency after getting levels up? It's likely been low for past 8 years or so since it was insufficient back then and they told me to stop supplements when it got up to 57 ng/ml

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:19 am

I don't know I have ever seen how long one can expect it to take to get vitamin D levels back up to a more normal range.
I would expect probably around 3 months or so though.
I would expect a big factor would be the extra dosage size would play a big factor.
I just looked online (google is my friend) and they say with most OTC dosages...around 3 months.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

sptrout

Post by sptrout » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:34 am

Down below is a copy of a newsletter that Dr. Jonny Bowden, Pd.D published last week with the correct information about vitamin D. Just incase that you do not know of Dr. Bowden he has written many books on nutrition and health including the best seller that he co-wrote with Stephen Sinatra, M.D., board-certified cardiologist, called "The Great Cholesterol Myth" which is available anywhere books are sold. Two big takeaways from the newsletter: high levels of vitamin D (>50 minimum) is now considered very important in our battle with COVID-19 and there really is no such thing as "toxic levels of vitamin D".

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Cholestero ... 432&sr=8-1

For an education of signs of low vitamin D levels in your blood, checkout the short video by Dr. Ken Berry, PCP with an active practice near Nashville,TN and the author of "Lies My Doctor Told Me" now out with its second edition. Should be mandatory reading for all, but especially PCPs who keep telling the same old lies (likely unknowingly). Give a copy to your PCP.

https://www.amazon.com/Lies-My-Doctor-T ... uage=en_US

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S8ZEtcpH5I

Now Dr.Jonny Bowden's newletter:
"Hi everybody,

No matter what side of the political spectrum you live on I hope you will be as utterly disgusted by the deafening silence of our health “authorities” on the subject of vitamin D as I am.

For the better part of a year, I have listened as health experts and health organizations have begged, cajoled, ordered, requested or strongly advised us to take basic, simple, agreed-upon precautions to slow down the spread of COVID.

Fine. I have no problem with that.

What I have a very big problem with is this..

Why aren’t every one of those experts screaming from the rooftops that every one of us should be taking a daily dose of 5000 IUs of vitamin D3?

Is it because the entire medical system is built on the edifice of the pharmaceutical industry?

Is it because the majority of the 800-900,000 MDs in this country couldn’t give you a high-school level explanation of what vitamin D does?

Is it because they’re afraid to recommend something that might be “toxic”?

(Spoiler alert: If you find one single study on pubmed.gov that shows serious vitamin D toxicity at any dose even close to 5,000 IUs, please send it to me and I will donate 100 dollars to your favorite animal charity. One overview called Vitamin D supplementation and risk of toxicity in pediatrics: a review of current literature states that “Vitamin D excess was rare and usually asymptomatic”, and tended to involve “high total intake in the range of 240,000 to 4,500,000 IUs”.)

Afraid of toxicity at a few thousand IUs a day? Gimme a break!

Recently, the former surgeon general of the US under George W. Bush, Dr. Richard Carnoma—hardly a wild-eyed radical—wrote an op-ed in Medpage Today, entitled, “Don’t Let COVID-19 Patients Die With Vitamin D Deficiency”.

The subtitle says it all: “We can’t wait for perfect evidence”.

Do we have perfect evidence on masks? On vaccines? On re-infection? Of course not. But that doesn’t stop reasonable people from recommending them. Why should it be different with a totally safe, inexpensive and widely available pill that has literally hundreds of studies demonstrating its benefits?

Here are a small sampling of reputable articles regarding vitamin D, COVID and immunity.
1. WebMD: More Vitamin D, Lower Risk of Severe COVID-19
2. NutraIngredients: Scientists Raise The Vitamin D Alarm
3. Med. Drug Discovery: Vitamin D Levels and COVID-19 Susceptibility: Is there any Correlation?
4. Science Daily: Vitamin D levels appear to play role in COVID-19 mortality rates

For a sampling of the 373 published peer-reviewed scientific studies in the National Library of Medicine, simply go to www.pubmed.gov and search “Vitamin D COVID”.

If you want another few hundred studies to the list, expand the search to “Vitamin D Immunity”

I hope you are as outraged as I am that none of our trusted health authorities are talking about this.

Meanwhile, let me say this, with the usual mandatory caveat*: I recommend that everybody begin taking vitamin D immediately, if you’re not already.

And while you’re at it, call on your doctors (and elected representatives) to explain why they are not telling you the same thing.

Wamly,
jb"

*I’m not giving you medical or health advice, this column does not take the place of a consultation with a health professional, and this is simply my personal opinion

Mask Make & Model: ResMed, AirFit P10
CPAP Pressure: 6-9
CPAP Reporting Software: OSCAR/Sleepyhead & SleepHQ

Rob K

Post by Rob K » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:36 pm

Interesting Vitamin D video. I'm in the north and have had deficiency and most of those symptoms he mentions. Muscle and bone ache were most prominent. Often I would get in a vehicle and within a half hour my bones would ache so bad from sitting in one spot that I would seriously consider turning around and going back home. Part of that was from sleep deprivation but a good deal was from vitamin D deficiency. Within 3-4 days of starting a D3 supplement I noticed a big difference for the better. I helped a lot with pain. I hate taking anything and try to do things naturally but I do continue to take D3 nearly every day.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:32 pm

my vit d level was down to 12ng/ml. D3 is not covered by my insurance, but d2 (Ergocalciferol 1.25 MG (50000 UT) Oral Capsule 1 Capsule once a week) is covered so thats what i take. now my level is 48.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

elsueno

Post by elsueno » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:36 pm

x

Last edited by elsueno on Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:11 pm

sptrout wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:34 am
Now Dr.Jonny Bowden's newletter:
"Hi everybody,
Don't be fooled. "Dr." Bowden is not an M.D.

I automatically skip over every writing that is presented in bold and underlined. Legitimate MDs don't write like this. Fraudsters sometimes do.

BTW, I take 4000 IU vitamin D3 daily and have encouraged everyone in my family to do the same. It's cheaper than a vitamin D test and presents no risk.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:50 pm

I've been taking 5,000 iu a few times this last week. I'm being sent 50,000 iu pills for vitamin D. Once I get those it's 1 a week for I think 4 weeks.

I just had overnight oximetry done to make sure I wasn't becoming hypoxic again despite good treatment. I love how I'm told my numbers are great and everything and my settings are great. That's because I did it myself with everyone's help here lol. I haven't needed to change a thing.

Unfortunately I'm still exhausted. I can sleep after taking 200 mg modafinal lol and now Im prescribed 200 mg twice a day of modafinal. Helps I think with brain fog but that's about it.

I fired my old PCP because I kept making complaints and he would do blood work and say nothing is wrong. I went there with mass on chest (I was 90% sure it was lipoma and said as much when I called) and I saw him and he couldn't feel it. I told him again where it was and he said he couldn't feel it. So I went to urgent care right after and they could feel it and said I should get ultrasound to be safe. So I called back pcp and said urgent care could feel what my primary couldn't lol.

Anyways with my new primary I laid everything out and again repeated that I feel like I've been growing weaker for years now. I was having abdominal pains from incision site that no one could figure out (even had another surgery) and I said I felt like my muscles were weak and strained. No one really believed me. They wanted to kill nerve to that area to solve problem but I said I wanted PT. Again everyone thought I was crazy. Well I asked if I could try binder to support area. PT said my theory was as good as any at this point and said to try ace bandage. Well that worked! I can now walk normal speed without feeling like my incision is going to explode.

Problem is my whole body hurts all the time. massage helped at first (she was one who said my abdominal muscles felt really strained) but doesn't work as well anymore. my muscles get fatigued easily and everything hurts and I get numbness and tingling all over too. I basically told PCP that I hurt so much all over in different ways I can't even tell her everything because it's to much to remember.

Rheumatoid arthritis seems ruled out and I've had other auto immune tests done in past that where negative.

So I'm really hoping this solves everything finally. It's just so weird I can be laying in bed and get excruciating knee pain and then minute later it's 100% fine. I saw podiatrist because my feet would start to feel like I burned them and there would be redness and some swelling and it would be warm to touch and 15 minutes later it's perfectly normal with no signs of anything being wrong.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:36 pm

I laid it all out there including exhaustion, muscle pain and spasms, muscle fatiguability, and basically whole body hurts.
That was me several years ago. Vitamin D3 was PART of the answer but not the whole thing. My pain went away, DISAPPEARED, GONE, when I eliminated grains and sugar from my diet. When I cheat, it comes back. I have plenty of energy, never tired during the day anymore. I think the D3 is really good with my immune system, I almost never get sick anymore. Another thing that seems to have helped a lot is daily fish oil.

BTW, Vitamin D3 is a hormone and it works in synergy with other fat soluble hormones, especially Vitamin K2.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm