Do we need to change clock settings on our cpap machines ton

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cletourn

Do we need to change clock settings on our cpap machines ton

Post by cletourn » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:48 pm

I have a Remstar Pro M Series and I have no idea how to change its internal clock setting for DST or if we even need to. Has anyone else thought about this? I am resetting all my clocks tonight and this suddenly came to my mind.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:50 pm

No, you cannot reset the Remstar internal clock anyway, it runs at GMT, it gets adjusted to your locale from your computer should you pull a report.

The Remstar internal clock can only be reset by the factory (and it is usually off because the clock chip is not that accurate in keeping time).

cletourn

Post by cletourn » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:02 pm

Probably just as well... I am just leaving the vcr clock alone and letting it blink at me for all eternity... that machine hates me! I hate to think how badly I could screw up my cpap maching if I tried to change the time!

LoriD

Post by LoriD » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:15 pm

I don't touch the one on my cable box for that reason...lol. My luck, like if I would touch anything on the CPAP, I'd blow it up too!

I tend to be a "technotard" when it comes to certain things; better to leave them alone in my case.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:18 pm

The animals are smarter than the US government. They don't play around w/clocks. They know what time it is regardless of what time the US government tries to say it is. This clock changing bit is a crock!!!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

blarg

Post by blarg » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:28 pm

This is NOTHING compared to what they did in Nicaragua while I lived there.

Nicaragua historically has had no daylight savings time. They decided it would save power if they did DST, so they voted it in to start TWO WEEKS after they announced it. So then when they rolled over, all the schools and radio stations changed, but the average Joe didn't know the difference. So then we had "old time" and "new time" and when someone said be there at 2, you had to ask, "¿Hora vieja?" because you weren't sure whether that person went to school or listened to the radio or not.

So that was all fine and dandy. Just when we were getting used to having two times, they decided that daylight savings time was a mistake. So congress voted to end it EARLY. So then half the schools were on daylight savings time until the original expire date, half had ended it early with national mandate, and the average Joe was still on old time. -_-

SUCH a mess.

I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!

TGregg

Post by TGregg » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:59 pm

Slinky wrote:This clock changing bit is a crock!!!
Not really. Take here in Charlotte for example. In the worst depths of Winter, the sun rises about 7:45 EST or so, and sets about 5:45 EST in the evening. That's pretty reasonable and works out well for working folks in our modern world. In heat of the Summer, the sun rises about 6:30 EDT and sets about 9 EDT.

If we stayed on EST instead of switching, we'd have the sun rising at 5 freaken 30 in the morning, but getting dark at only 8 in the evening. Since most folks are still sleeping at 5:30 and awake at 8pm, it's helpful to push our clocks forward for summer.

BTW: Here's an easy way to remember whether we're in daylight savings time or standard time. When is there plenty of daylight and thus no need to save it? That's when we have Daylight Savings.

jrfoster

Post by jrfoster » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:35 pm

Snoredog wrote:No, you cannot reset the Remstar internal clock anyway, it runs at GMT, it gets adjusted to your locale from your computer should you pull a report.

The Remstar internal clock can only be reset by the factory (and it is usually off because the clock chip is not that accurate in keeping time).
I guess that is why when I read the Encore Pro results the times listed on the top of the page are NOT the real hours that I had the CPAP on for the night. It is always a least an hour off. Go figure!

Jeff in TN

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:52 pm

Well, I come from a generation that spent a good many years on EST and did just fine.

But I'm not fussy - if they want DST then keep us on DST all year long but quit messing w/my internal clock!!! Oh well, at least part of the year my car's clock is right on time.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

taterbug

Post by taterbug » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:37 pm

Slinky wrote:Well, I come from a generation that spent a good many years on EST and did just fine.
Slinky, I couldn't help but think of the "grumpy old man" skits from SNL when I saw your quote above. Was it uphill both ways to school back then?

JimW

Post by JimW » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:58 pm

While our machines can be adapted rather easily to the time changes, not so with our bodies - or at least mine. I get hit rather severely twice a year, and it doesn't seem to matter whether the time advances or retreats. I relished when I was young, and Michigan was still not participating in DST. Moved to Arizona for a year when a junior in high school; at that time, Arizona was about the only other state which did not have DST. (It may have actually been the only other state.)
Resmed S8 Vantage - integrated humidifier
Mirage Swift nasal pillow system
Autoscan 5.7 software

NightHawkeye

Post by NightHawkeye » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:02 am

Slinky wrote:The animals are smarter than the US government. They don't play around w/clocks. They know what time it is regardless of what time the US government tries to say it is. This clock changing bit is a crock!!!
Well, there you have it. A new congress comes in, all eager to make changes, and what do they change? They opt to save the environment. With daylight savings time, no less! Self-delusional, if you ask me . . .

Now, I've got to set every clock I own, and that includes several automatic clocks that are never supposed to need to be set (and which are difficult to set). These clocks all have an internal adjustment for daylight savings time, but now I have to figure out how to disable that as well. Otherwise, I'll have to go through this whole process again in another few weeks. And how about the computers? I have to change the clock on all of them, too? That's OK though, because it only takes ten or fifteen minutes for each computer to download updates from Micro$oft. I've only got six of them to do. Sheesh! What bunch of idiots dreamed this stuff up!

Thanks for listening. I needed that.

Erin_Belli

Post by Erin_Belli » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:38 am

Nighthawkeye wrote:
Well, there you have it. A new congress comes in, all eager to make changes, and what do they change? They opt to save the environment. With daylight savings time, no less!
As I understand it, the new daylight savings time law was enacted by congress in 2005. That was the old congress (Republicans).
The path to Awakening lies through sleep.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:40 am

Erin_Belli wrote:Nighthawkeye wrote:
Well, there you have it. A new congress comes in, all eager to make changes, and what do they change? They opt to save the environment. With daylight savings time, no less!
As I understand it, the new daylight savings time law was enacted by congress in 2005. That was the old congress (Republicans).
Yep ... and it was not for the benefit of the environement but instead so that corporate greed could enhance their profits.

"On August 8, 2005, President George W. Bush signed the Energy Policy Act of 2005"
NightHawkeye wrote: Sheesh! What bunch of idiots dreamed this stuff up!
That's what I think sometimes too.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

NightHawkeye

Post by NightHawkeye » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:54 am

Erin_Belli wrote:As I understand it, the new daylight savings time law was enacted by congress in 2005. That was the old congress (Republicans).
Well, at least we won't have them to kick around any more!

If that's true, then I wonder if the new guys are gonna fix it . . .

Hmmm . . ., I remember going through this same silly stuff 30+ years ago. It didn't work then, either, as I recall.