New CPAP User Pressure Question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Movieman

New CPAP User Pressure Question

Post by Movieman » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:10 pm

Hi, I just started CPAP therapy a couple of weeks ago. I had a lot of trouble falling asleep with the machine, but I’m finally able to sleep for short periods of time, about 2-3 hours.

I have a Resmed Air Sense 10 Autoset and the prescription is set at 5-15. Since I’ve finally been able to sleep with the machine for short periods, I’ve noticed being awakened by a lot of air pressure. I looked at the screen and it said 10.1.

Is there a way to lookup in the machine to see the highest pressure it used during therapy? I am using the my airtime app, but the app does not provide much information. Hoping I can get used to that kind of pressure.

I do have my first follow up with doctor next week, so I’ll ask him. I was just wondering anyone here dealt with being awakened due to air pressure.

Pugsy

Re: New CPAP User Pressure Question

Post by Pugsy » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:27 pm

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:04 pm

OP,
You're correct...the ResMed App does not tell you the details you are looking for. It's more like a report card for a first-grader.

As Pugsy above pointed you towards, download and learn what you can about the OSCAR software and install it on your computer.
You can then provide "real" data that your machine (and doctor) has access to about your sleep and what the CPAP is doing...and you can choose to post it here (if you want). It will show you exactly the pressures that are being pushed, as well as leakage, your sleep depth, Apnea's, etc...

Folks like Pugsy (and others) will immediately be able to tell you so MUCH more than the App and educate you on what's really happening with your sleep and give you suggestions and recommendations to make it better for you.

If you look at some other threads here - you'll see where folks posted their OSCAR data and the feedback they received - you'll be impressed!
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.
My posts are sometimes tongue & cheek w/some snarky sarcasm mixed in.
I leave it up to you to figure it out!
:wink:

--

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:11 pm

GIve your Medicine Man a chance to tighten up your pressure range. CPAP machines seem to be given to new users set wide open, or very nearly so. Eventually you will want to set the lower and upper pressure limits to about 2cm below and 2cm above your titration pressure, so your machine isn't constantly "hunting" for the right pressure for you. Minimizing pressure excursions maximizes your comfort and results in better sleep. The optimal pressure can be determined by the data that OSCAR can provide you. But give the doc first crack at it and see how it goes first.

Movieman

Post by Movieman » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:39 pm

Thanks everyone for all the help! I will definitely give my doc a chance to set a better pressure. He’s helped me so far. I was just taken by surprise that the pressure would be that intense and wake me up lol. I guess they have to set a wide range in the beginning of treatment to see what works.

I think an in-lab sleep study is probably better since the lab can see what pressure works for patients during the study. I had the home sleep study. It was impossible to get in-lab sleep study during this time.. 😕

I found other threads along with the threads Pugsy posted and I will download and start using Oscar. I saw other member’s Oscar information and it is very detailed. Not sure why doctors don’t recommend or even use this software for monitoring their patients. At least I feel more awake now that I’m using the machine. 😃

This site is an excellent source of information. Members are also very helpful. Thanks.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:28 am

If you go into your settings area and look for "ESSENTIALS". Change the setting to "PLUS". That will open up the Sleep Report on your machine's screen. There is lots of information available as to average pressure for week, month etc. Also it will identify the type of events you are having, average leaks, hours used etc.
The MyAir report is useless...It's just a report card.

Movieman

Post by Movieman » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:15 pm

Thanks LSAT! I found the “essentials” menu. The information under essentials should be part of the my air report. 😀

Movieman

Post by Movieman » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:40 pm

I had a question on a mask issue. I have an air fit f30 full face mask w the memory foam. When I turn on the CPAP, the mask seems to push into face, kind of like a suction hose. I then feel it move sometimes with my breathing. Is this normal?

I hadn’t noticed the sensation before, but I have only been using the machine for a week or so. I tried loosening and tightening mask to see if that could have been the issue, but it still happens.

Thanks.