I've tried 2 full face masks so far

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tbeb

I've tried 2 full face masks so far

Post by tbeb » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:36 am

Hello. I'm a new user and have used sleep therapy for 19 nights. I use a foam pillow. (Buckwheat shell pillow from Pur Sleep should arrive this week.) My machine is a Dreamstation Auto with humidifier, and the hose is heated. The following machine numbers are for 1-day/7-day/21-day: Therapy Hours-7.5/8.1/7.9; AHI-2.5/2.6/2.8;
Hose Fit-99%/99%/99%; Periodic Breathing-0%/0%/0%; and % Pressure-10.0/13.4/14.1. I'm happy things are going pretty good.

I breathe through my nose and mouth. The first mask I tried was a F & P Vitera. I used it 16 nights. I didn't like it because it caused a sore on the bridge of my nose, and the headgear hurt my neck. A bandaid helped the nose. For the long run I prefer not to use it or moleskin or mask liner or the like. The second mask I've worn now for 3 nights is an Amara View. I really like it, except there's one problem. I have a big head. Even the large size cushion seems too small. The cushion slips up above my lower lip, and causes a leak loud enough to wake me up. This happened about 3 times on each night. I guess I could live with that if necessary. Local medical supply store mentioned others to try. One was the DreamWear, and I think the other was a 30i (not sure of brand).
Phillips Dreamstation with Humidifier, Phillips Dreamwear Full Face Mask

Pugsy

Re: I've tried 2 full face masks so far

Post by Pugsy » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:47 am

The 30i would be the ResMed AirFit F30i.
The DreamWear would be the FullFace Dreamwear

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... -face-mask

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/philip ... k-fit-pack

Bear in mind that the headgear for these 2 types of masks involve a frame where there might be a sizing issue with large heads and you might need a larger size frame than what might come in the package and is available as a separate purchase.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

tbeb

Post by tbeb » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:05 pm

Thanks, Pugsy.

tbeb

Post by tbeb » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:51 pm

Store didn't have a Resmed Airfit F30i, but gave me a Phillips Dreamwear. I used it Friday with a foam pillow, and last night with a Pur-Sleep buckwheat hull & foam pillow. Two nights isn't much of a test but It worked better with buckwheat pillow. They said they'll see if they can get a Resmed Airfit F20 for me to try. I'm hoping the Dreamwear pans out because I like the top of head hose connection and cushion under nose instead of on top of it.

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:46 pm

I used an Amara View for 2 years, and I was a fan, but the fit on it is very unforgiving. I have the opposite problem -- I'm too small for the mask. I switched to the Dreamwear, and it is more forgiving fit-wise.

I did a mask study last year where I wore the F30 for 6 weeks. It's clearly designed to be a competitor with the Dreamwear with the under-the-nose fit, and the cushion design is MUCH better! There is a lot more cushion wrapping around the end of your nose. But I really really like the top-of-head connection so I went back to the Dreamwear.

The point about these masks is that there are two distinct sizing issues. One is how large your face is side-to-side and up-and-down, and the other is how far your nose sticks out from your face. Both the Amara and the Dreamwear size strictly on the nose-sticking-out-from-your-face direction. My problem is that in that direction I'm a medium (and closer to large than small) while on the side-to-side and up-and-down I'm a small/extra-small. I wore a size small Dreamwear for a year before I figured out that I'm really a medium!

This is definitely something where you need to try all of the sizes to see what's going to fit for you. The Dreamwear has nose-stick-out in small, medium & large, and they have a 4th size which is large AND wide -- that might be the one you need.

tbeb

Post by tbeb » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:41 pm

cathyf wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:46 pm

... I wore a size small Dreamwear for a year before I figured out that I'm really a medium!

This is definitely something where you need to try all of the sizes to see what's going to fit for you. The Dreamwear has nose-stick-out in small, medium & large, and they have a 4th size which is large AND wide -- that might be the one you need.
On the size gauge for the Dreamwear cushion I measure a medium. I almost measure a large so they gave me that too. Frame is a medium (20"). I measure for a large (22"). Tomorrow I'll see if they have one of those.

michaeldwilson

Post by michaeldwilson » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:34 pm

I currently (try to) use a size Large AirFitf20 FF mask. I want to try an AirFit F30i mask. Would I order a "wide" cushion or "medium" cushion, or is that something that can only be known by trying them out?

Thanks,

Mike
Machine: AirSense™ 10 AutoSet For Her CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: AirFit F30i
Additional Comments: Pressure 16

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:39 pm

You can print out a size guide, but I didn't find it very helpful. I ordered the mask with the medium cushion from cpap.com, the ordered a different size cushion on ebay where it was cheaper. I couldn't make either size cushion work for me, and I ended up giving the mask to someone who could use it.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

michaeldwilson

Post by michaeldwilson » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:46 pm

Okie bipap wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:39 pm
You can print out a size guide, but I didn't find it very helpful. I ordered the mask with the medium cushion from cpap.com, the ordered a different size cushion on ebay where it was cheaper. I couldn't make either size cushion work for me, and I ended up giving the mask to someone who could use it.
If you don't mind, what was the problem with the F30i mask? I know people had difficulties with the F30 but many more like the F30i.

(I hope you are an Okie State fan!)
Machine: AirSense™ 10 AutoSet For Her CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:43 pm

michaeldwilson wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:46 pm
If you don't mind, what was the problem with the F30i mask? I know people had difficulties with the F30 but many more like the F30i.
I could not get a good seal around my nose. The medium was just a little too narrow, and I had trouble getting the holes in the mask to align properly with my nose. The large was too wide, and I had too much leakage around my nose. I have used the F20 for over three years now, and I like it, but I am always looking for a "better" mask.
michaeldwilson wrote:
I don't really follow either team. My youngest daughter attended OSU for two years, but didn't finish her program. My son in law went to OU. I am from Missouri, so I grew up following the University of Missouri back then. I got my college degrees while in the service and my bachelor's degree is from a Louisiana university, and my master's degree is from a Missouri university. Neither of these schools have much of a sports program.

michaeldwilson

Post by michaeldwilson » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:49 pm

Okie bipap wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:43 pm
michaeldwilson wrote:
I could not get a good seal around my nose. The medium was just a little too narrow, and I had trouble getting the holes in the mask to align properly with my nose. The large was too wide, and I had too much leakage around my nose. I have used the F20 for over three years now, and I like it, but I am always looking for a "better" mask.
michaeldwilson wrote:
I don't really follow either team. My youngest daughter attended OSU for two years, but didn't finish her program. My son in law went to OU. I am from Missouri, so I grew up following the University of Missouri back then. I got my college degrees while in the service and my bachelor's degree is from a Louisiana university, and my master's degree is from a Missouri university. Neither of these schools have much of a sports program.
There are four sizes to the mask, and I used the sizing chart to try to find the right one. There is one between medium and wide called "small wide." That's the one I'm supposed to wear, according to the chart.

https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents ... ch_eng.pdf

It's been a strange year to be a sports fan, that's for sure.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:53 pm

I got away from following any sports when I was in the service. I had several years where I was doing my regular military duties, working part time and going to college. That did not leave any time to really follow sports. I just never got back int following sports after that. I would rather spend my spare time reading instead of watching sports.