High pressure mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tedwardb

High pressure mask

Post by tedwardb » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:30 pm

I am having trouble finding a mask that consistently stays sealed all night long. I have a bilevel machine and my pressure settings are 21 and 15. I have tried three different ResMed masks, F10, F20, and F30, and the Fisher-Peykull Simplus. Each one works part of the time, but none work full time. I find myself switching masks in the middle of the night or synching down the straps so tightly that I end up with deep lines in my head and face. Are there masks that work better with these higher pressures and are still comfortable?

Okie bipap

Re: High pressure mask

Post by Okie bipap » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:49 pm

My pressures are similar to yours, and I have used the F20 and the Simplus mask quite successfully. It's just a matter of getting the mask adjusted correctly. How bad are your leaks? If they are not too bad, but bother you, perhaps a mask liner would help. The mask liner may not stop the leaks, but it will often mitigate the noise and annoyance caused by the leaks if they are not too bad.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

kong

Post by kong » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:05 pm

Perhaps a FFM with an adjustable forehead brace (e.g., ResMed Mirage Quattro) would held prevent leakage near the upper half of your nose. I once tried a FFM that didn't have a forehead brace while I was at the DME; the respiratory tech couldn't keep it from leaking.

tedwardb

Post by tedwardb » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:36 am

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I'll go back to mask fitting school and see if that helps. When switching to a new mask it seems that everything is fine for 2 to 4 nights. After that the air leaks get progressively worse each night. I don't change the straps from the original fit and yet the leaks occur. A little frustrating. I'll try to re fit the mask and go from there. I hadn't heard of a mask liner before, so I'll look into that also.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:16 pm

i use quattro FX and get zero leaks when i stay shaved. you have to understand that headgear stretches over it's lifetime. when you feel it leak even if its in the middle of the night, sit up and adjust the straps, it's normal. also shaving plays into it somewhat. the closer you stay shaved, the more it seals better. also. your resmed adjusts for leaks. as long as you stay below the 24L line. personally, when my beard starts growing i don't get overly concerned until i get close to 24.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:26 pm

tedwardb wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:36 am
I'll go back to mask fitting school
For your favorite mask, watch three or four youtube videos on fitting and adjusting.