DreamStation AutoCPAP machines with a defect

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepyRobert

DreamStation AutoCPAP machines with a defect

Post by SleepyRobert » Wed May 06, 2020 5:06 pm

I have a Phillips Respironics "DreamStation Auto CPAP" machine. It's the second one I've had with the same defect, and I'm wondering if others have noticed this problem, too. It will sense "vibratory snores" and bump up the pressure, when it's clear that I'm not snoring. I have actually taken a video of the pressure going up as I lay there - fully awake - filming. When I look at the upload on OSCAR, I can see the "VS2" vibratory snores that the machine is reporting.

It's a big problem. When the pressure goes up, the mask becomes less comfortable. It leaks. It wakes me. It took me quite a while to figure out what was going on, and I worry that a lot of users may be having the same experience without recognizing it - simply giving up on CPAP because it's too uncomfortable and it's not helping them, when in fact the problem is a defective machine.

My DME provider has seen this happen as I sat in her office using the machine. She has also had another patient whose machine had this defect the day she gave it to him. And I believe that my replacement machine is now doing the same thing. Phillips acknowledges that this happens but calls it a "rare problem." As far as I know, they are not notifying providers or patients and I'm unaware of any recall efforts.

Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks!

PS: I will try to create a response in this thread with the video that I took; not sure if that will work or not.

Okie bipap

Re: DreamStation AutoCPAP machines with a defect

Post by Okie bipap » Wed May 06, 2020 8:52 pm

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed May 06, 2020 11:28 pm

SleepyRobert wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:06 pm
I have a Phillips Respironics "DreamStation Auto CPAP" machine. It's the second one I've had with the same defect, and I'm wondering if others have noticed this problem, too. It will sense "vibratory snores" and bump up the pressure, when it's clear that I'm not snoring. I have actually taken a video of the pressure going up as I lay there - fully awake - filming. When I look at the upload on OSCAR, I can see the "VS2" vibratory snores that the machine is reporting.

It's a big problem. When the pressure goes up, the mask becomes less comfortable. It leaks. It wakes me. It took me quite a while to figure out what was going on, and I worry that a lot of users may be having the same experience without recognizing it - simply giving up on CPAP because it's too uncomfortable and it's not helping them, when in fact the problem is a defective machine.

My DME provider has seen this happen as I sat in her office using the machine. She has also had another patient whose machine had this defect the day she gave it to him. And I believe that my replacement machine is now doing the same thing. Phillips acknowledges that this happens but calls it a "rare problem." As far as I know, they are not notifying providers or patients and I'm unaware of any recall efforts.

Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks!

PS: I will try to create a response in this thread with the video that I took; not sure if that will work or not.
It's not a "problem" and not a "defect". Just set the machine to a fixed pressure (either in CPAP mode or set the min and max to the same pressure)........and your "problems" are over.

Not everyone can have successful therapy by using ranges of pressure.
I found out early on that it wasn't my cup of tea.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Thu May 07, 2020 6:49 am

The "problem" is a defective sensor on the main board. I've had the main board replaced twice on my machine and the "problem" seems to be under control.
In prior years (with system One Series 60 machines) the Respironics response to a main board failure was to replace the machine not repair it.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu May 07, 2020 7:08 am

JDS74 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:49 am
The "problem" is a defective sensor on the main board. I've had the main board replaced twice on my machine and the "problem" seems to be under control.
In prior years (with system One Series 60 machines) the Respironics response to a main board failure was to replace the machine not repair it.
Did they say which sensor? there's only two, flow and pressure (and maybe a hygrometer, those were in the blower side, not the humidifier side in the PRS1 series, strangely).

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.