Long time user but couldn’t breath out last night

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
AdamB80

Long time user but couldn’t breath out last night

Post by AdamB80 » Tue May 05, 2020 10:30 am

I’ve been on a CPAP without major problems for several years. Actually, I’m currently using the AirSense10 I believe. I fell asleep the other night as usual and everything was fine. I was breathing normally. A few hours later, I wake up struggling to breath out. My breathing was out of whack. I could breath in okay, but I really had to force my breath out. It was very disconcerting, and my heart was pounding. I couldn’t fall asleep again. I turned off the machine and got out of bed to use the restroom and walk around. I was hoping it was just a fluke of my body and restarting would feel normal. But it didn’t work. I could breath but couldn’t breath at the same time. I felt anxiety and couldn’t sleep. It’s like it through my heart or lungs off. I got maybe 3 hours of sleep that night and the whole next day, i could feel my heartbeat, I was sooo tired and couldn’t eat. I’ve struggled with bad anxiety in the past, and I was having the physiological effects of bad anxiety. I’m not sure if the CPAP caused the anxiety or the anxiety caused me not to breath. Anyway, I did notice more moisture in the tubing than normal. I do t know if that can cause me to struggle breathing out. I don’t know if the auto titrating part didn’t work. I just do t know. Has anyone experienced a struggle like that after being on the machine successfully for years? It really sucked.

Pugsy

Re: Long time user but couldn’t breath out last night

Post by Pugsy » Tue May 05, 2020 12:25 pm

What mask are you using?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

JDS74

Re: Long time user but couldn’t breath out last night

Post by JDS74 » Thu May 07, 2020 3:48 pm

Please clarify: did the breathing difficulty continue after removing the mask? If, not, did it resume after re-masking up?
The only time I experienced this kind of event was a power failure and I was trying to breathe through the machine.
The anti-asphyxia valve is supposed to help in that case but it was still somewhat difficult to breathe out.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.