Surge Protecctors and CPAPS

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Gustav Graves

Surge Protecctors and CPAPS

Post by Gustav Graves » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:01 pm

Any thoughts on using a surge protector between the machine and the electrical outlet - Reasons to use or not to use.

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:34 pm

I used a surge protector for 3 years with my Resmed spirit. I use 1 with my PB420E. Could save your cpap in a T-storm. $15 well spent IMHO.

Chris

christinequilts

Post by christinequilts » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:37 pm

My DME requires it for all my medical equipment...I don't think I've ever plugged mine strait into an outlet. The best thing I did was getting UPS so I have 'battery backup' if the power goes out in addition to being a surger protector.

derek

Post by derek » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:45 pm

A slightly different answer. I found that my Respironics machines completely screwed up my X10 remote control home-automation devices all over the house. I had to install a line-filter into the socket that the xPAPs was plugged into to bring the house back to life.

Using a surge protector won't hurt, but is probably not necessary. I have run computer labs all my life (currently have more than 150 that I'm responsible for ) I've never used a surge protector, and I've never lost a single computer from spikes or surges (as far as I know). I think the risk is one of the big hyped up techno myths, just like monster cable for your stereo speakers. But, we're way, way off topic here
derek

gailzee

Re: Surge Protecctors and CPAPS

Post by gailzee » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:56 pm

I would think that a surge suppressor would be a good idea. We live in a an area, that spikes and dips happen 24/7 (so beeps my s. s. anyhow when they hit). Can't hurt..........or can it?
Gustav Graves wrote:Any thoughts on using a surge protector between the machine and the electrical outlet - Reasons to use or not to use.

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:35 pm

Derek, I need your power company.

I have replaced a central a/c unit , the whole thing, telephones, televisions, answering machines, all lthe light bulbs in the house. Twice ! Welded the phone right to the wall.

My PC had a surge protector

Everything is bigger in Texas ya know. Especially Thunderstorms.

I think I'll keep my surge protector

Now when I hear thunder I plug my cpap into my battery and go to sleep.

Cheers,

Chris

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:52 pm

I have to agree with chrisp. I have lost TV's, and several electronics to TEXAS surges. I now have all expensive electronics on surge protectors.

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:30 pm

Derek - Betcha those labs are on a protected circuit. I am responsible for 50 pcs. All are on UPS. Office next to ours is on nothing. At least once yearly, they lose a pc from spikes, sags, outages...

Zees Pleez

Post by Zees Pleez » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:46 pm

I have been in several small companies over the years and with the shoestring budgets, equipment was often plugged right into unprotected outlets. It is definitely rolling the dice; I have seen several machines smoked from surges. But none all that recently with one oddball exception - UPSes. I am not sure whether they have cleaner power here, where I have been for the last few years, or if the components just handle it better.

Hugh Jass

Post by Hugh Jass » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:01 am

Another question.

Does a surcge protector work without a ground.

The Remstar is only a two prong plug, and my surge protector shows a yellow light which indicates that the unit is not properly protected.

The outlet (or "holes" as the guy on Seinfeld calls them) is grounded by a traditional 3 prong connection.

Am I protected against surges without a proper ground ?
Trying is the first step towards failure.

christinequilts

Post by christinequilts » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:07 pm

derek wrote:
Using a surge protector won't hurt, but is probably not necessary.
I might be a little more laidback for just a regular CPAP or even a autoPAP but with the cost of my BiPAP ST it isn't worth the risk. Actually with all my medical equipment I use at night I have $7000 (on-line prices) to $12,000 (DME prices) it just isn't worth the risk. And its not just the risk of damage to equipment but also having to have equipment replaced & insurance BS about who is going to pay (home insurance or health insurance).

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:15 pm

HJ, do you have a cheap unit or a good unit like a belkin ?

Are you sure you are talking about a Surge protector and not a Ground Fault outlet.
The surge protector shouldn't have anything to do with whats plugged into it. Or, Maybe its done its job and is toast.

Cheers,

Chris

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:02 pm

Hugh Jass wrote:Another question.

Does a surcge protector work without a ground.

The Remstar is only a two prong plug, and my surge protector shows a yellow light which indicates that the unit is not properly protected.

The outlet (or "holes" as the guy on Seinfeld calls them) is grounded by a traditional 3 prong connection.

Am I protected against surges without a proper ground ?
Usually that means the protector popped as Chris said... Get a new one and be thankful it was the surge protector and not whatever was plugged in.

Hugh Jass

Post by Hugh Jass » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:46 am

My surge protector is brand new and I would say almost top of the line.

I have a similar surge protector for my audio equipment, and it too shows a yellow light (which means not fully protected according to the manual).

However, if I take the same surge protector and use it on my PC, the LED light is green, meaning fully protected.

So, the only differance is that the PC equipment has a three pronged plug (with ground) and the audio equipment (and CPAP) is only two pronged.

I presume that my equipment is protected against surges, even if it's only the surge protector that is grounded.

It's the yellow light that makes me a bit uneasy.

Regards
Trying is the first step towards failure.

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:01 am

My question:

If you bought a surge protector from a DME would the following be the case?:

- You would need a prescription.

- They would first give you one that does not work and then provide you with a replacement after you fried your first machine.

- It would cost $250.

- They would not have it in stock and would need to order it for you, which would take 6 weeks.

- When it finally came in it would be the wrong size, but they would tell you it was the right size.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!