COVID 19, CPAP, Ventilator MEGA THREAD...everything go here please

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Re: COVID 19, CPAP, Ventilator MEGA THREAD...everything go here please

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue May 19, 2020 4:42 pm

Lucyhere wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:37 pm
Another theory is the money Donald Trump and family stand to make if H actually takes off.
How would they make money off hydroxychloroquine? It's off-patent and there are several manufacturers. The largest dose used in a study was 1200 mg per day. At that dosage, I can get 10 days supply for $14.95 at the pharmacy up the street.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Tue May 19, 2020 5:10 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:42 pm
Lucyhere wrote:
Another theory is the money Donald Trump and family stand to make if H actually takes off.
How would they make money off hydroxychloroquine? It's off-patent and there are several manufacturers. The largest dose used in a study was 1200 mg per day. At that dosage, I can get 10 days supply for $14.95 at the pharmacy up the street.
Have to rush but please check Google or NY Times - saw it yesterday - he and Jared own a small percentage or something like that.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue May 19, 2020 5:23 pm

Lucyhere wrote:
jnk... wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:16 pm
According to one conspiracy theory, there are now multiple differing conspiracy theories presently being hatched in order to obscure the true origins of all the other conspiracy theories.
One theory is that Donald Trump isn't really taking Hydrox...
no hydrox for trump.

i believe he's an oreo man.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue May 19, 2020 5:34 pm

Lucyhere wrote:
Another theory is the money Donald Trump and family stand to make if H actually takes off. In the meanwhile, people who really need it can't get it.
Your assertion is ridiculous.
Trump himself has a small personal financial interest in Sanofi, the French drugmaker that makes Plaquenil, the brand-name version of hydroxychloroquine,” according to a report in The New York Times.

The NYT report added that several generic drugmakers are all gearing up to produce hydroxychloroquine pills, including Amneal Pharmaceuticals, co-founded by Indian-Americans Chirag Patel and Chintu Patel.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/busin ... 18801.html
Trump claiming that he has been taking hydroxychloroquine is just another one of his populist tactics.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Tue May 19, 2020 7:34 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:34 pm
Lucyhere wrote:
Another theory is the money Donald Trump and family stand to make if H actually takes off. In the meanwhile, people who really need it can't get it.
Your assertion is ridiculous.
Trump himself has a small personal financial interest in Sanofi, the French drugmaker that makes Plaquenil, the brand-name version of hydroxychloroquine,” according to a report in The New York Times.

The NYT report added that several generic drugmakers are all gearing up to produce hydroxychloroquine pills, including Amneal Pharmaceuticals, co-founded by Indian-Americans Chirag Patel and Chintu Patel.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/busin ... 18801.html
Trump claiming that he has been taking hydroxychloroquine is just another one of his populist tactics.

Not ridiculous... I said "small" percentage. Do you know what small means? I don't. Could be 1%, 99%.

Also, I have two people in my family who take Hydroxychloroquine. One for Lupus and a cousin for Rheumatoid Arthritis. Both of them haven't been able to get their scripts this month, even with the help of their doctors. So, if you are able to go to your pharmacy to get it, you are indeed fortunate. One family member hasn't been able to find Zinc. :lol:

"Trump claiming that he has been taking hydroxychloroquine is just another one of his populist tactics." (CG)

+1
Bleep/P10

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Tue May 19, 2020 7:38 pm

zonker wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:23 pm
Lucyhere wrote:
jnk... wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:16 pm
According to one conspiracy theory, there are now multiple differing conspiracy theories presently being hatched in order to obscure the true origins of all the other conspiracy theories.
One theory is that Donald Trump isn't really taking Hydrox...
no hydrox for trump.

i believe he's an oreo man.
:lol:
Bleep/P10

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu May 21, 2020 11:42 am

this is from a forum that i lurk in. thought it might be good to share it here.

"Point of clarification. People are being asked to cover your face to keep the covid-19 in. Keeping it *out* is really a matter of social distancing and tons of sanitation ... or full PPE.

Thing is, when everyone else is actively making effort to try and keep it in, the methods we have to keep the virus out become more effective. I think that might be where some of the confusion over "science" is coming from.

On the one hand you have a decent body of evidence that wearing a mask can reduce the amount of viral shedding to the environment and also distance of particle spread ... weighed against little/no evidence to refute these observations. To this, contrarians always seem to rebut with science that indicates wearing a mask is not terribly effective to protect the wearer from becoming infected when exposed to the virus. But that's Apples vs. Oranges ... or, a red herring.

There are two very different issues at play.

On the first, the public being asked to wear masks is entirely to protect others. That is the civic responsibility aspect that involves people individually reducing viral emissions. Material choice makes a difference in a mask's effectiveness, obviously, but the purpose does not require participants employ PPE-grade equipment to make a difference.

With the second, health responders and front line workers demanding effective PPE is about protecting both the public and themselves. This also involves asking for masks; which honestly need to be N94 to offer much protection at all. But the fact that masks aren't enough to protect a front line worker from becoming infected is why many are still fighting for legitimate PPE-grade protection on the job (and often being met with flimsy cotton face coverings at best).

The two things are getting horribly jumbled up together in the national conversation ... to the likely detriment of public support over tackling either issue."
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Thu May 21, 2020 7:45 pm

zonker wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:42 am
The two things are getting horribly jumbled up together in the national conversation ... to the likely detriment of public support over tackling either issue."
Zonker, that's a big problem with modern journalism, but especially with op-eds. People confuse opinion/editorial with actual news. Then the "followers" of those particular opinion-editors parrot that stuff back at friends and family like it's ancient lore written in stone. Confirmation bias sets in and we have a political movement. We need to better teach our children how to parse the difference between news and opinion, because there are a lot of grown citizens out there who can't.

Chris

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Thu May 21, 2020 8:19 pm

I'm not so sure it is journalists getting it wrong; it seems to be the people who don't like being told what to do who are looking for any silly excuse not to do what they are being asked to do. They choose not to understand that what a medical person has to do to protect himself in a medical setting treating infected patients all day has no direct bearing on discussions about what a member of the public needs to do to protect everyone around him.

When willful ignorance walks hand in hand with utter selfishness, people die. No journalist or politician can fix that without there being some strong direct enforcement measures in place. Stupid is one thing; deadly stupid is another.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Thu May 21, 2020 9:18 pm

zonker wrote:
... health responders and front line workers demanding effective PPE is about protecting both the public and themselves. This also involves asking for masks; which honestly need to be N94 to offer much protection at all. But the fact that masks aren't enough to protect a front line worker from becoming infected is why many are still fighting for legitimate PPE-grade protection on the job (and often being met with flimsy cotton face coverings at best).

Cotton masks of any kind supposedly protect others. N94 (actually N95) and KN95 masks 'supposedly' protect the wearer and others. It's reprehensible to me that the people on the front lines (doctors, nurses, restaurant workers, Costco employees, etc., have such a difficult time getting them. When I watch the news and see doctors and nurses wearing flimsy cotton masks, and not have the protective covering they need, it's so sad... and scary.
Bleep/P10

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu May 21, 2020 10:32 pm

Some drugs were never made as generics because of shady dealings the minute the patent expired.
Companies were PAID to NOT make the generics--more than they could net by making them.
This way the original company could continue making the brand name as if the patent had never expired.

Dirty, but legal.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri May 22, 2020 10:37 am

DreamDiver wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:45 pm
zonker wrote:
Zonker, that's a big problem with modern journalism, but especially with op-eds. People confuse opinion/editorial with actual news. Then the "followers" of those particular opinion-editors parrot that stuff back at friends and family like it's ancient lore written in stone. Confirmation bias sets in and we have a political movement. We need to better teach our children how to parse the difference between news and opinion, because there are a lot of grown citizens out there who can't.

Chris
oh, aye. i often read peoples interpretation of what was written in a newspaper only to follow the link and see that it's another opinion piece. i don't know why i'm expected to lend it more weight because it appeared in the new york times. an opinion is an opinion, regardless of source.

one of the first things i gave up was the sunday shows. doesn't matter to me that one side scored points on the other. all that yelling and interrupting is too much for me.

mostly now, i just read or listen or watch enough to at least keep me current.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri May 22, 2020 10:42 am

Lucyhere wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:18 pm

Cotton masks of any kind supposedly protect others. N94 (actually N95) and KN95 masks 'supposedly' protect the wearer and others. It's reprehensible to me that the people on the front lines (doctors, nurses, restaurant workers, Costco employees, etc., have such a difficult time getting them. When I watch the news and see doctors and nurses wearing flimsy cotton masks, and not have the protective covering they need, it's so sad... and scary.
yup. as i've stated before(in this thread, i think?), i'm mostly wearing my mask to keep me from touching my face. eyes,nose and mouth are gateways for infections of any type.

worst of all, i saw a report that one nurse went in to see her patient with no mask at all. don't remember what the situation was, but she took that chance.

she's dead now.

i can't conceive of the courage it takes to be working in a hospital and being this close to disease and death every day.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri May 22, 2020 10:45 am

jnk... wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:19 pm
I'm not so sure it is journalists getting it wrong; it seems to be the people who don't like being told what to do who are looking for any silly excuse not to do what they are being asked to do.
whynotboth.gif
whynotboth.gif (112.59 KiB) Viewed 954 times
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Fri May 22, 2020 10:58 am

zonker wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:45 am
jnk... wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:19 pm
I'm not so sure it is journalists getting it wrong; it seems to be the people who don't like being told what to do who are looking for any silly excuse not to do what they are being asked to do.
whynotboth.gif
But I though all journalists LOVE being told what to do, right?
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.