OT: SO CLEAN to sanitize N95 masks?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Grace~~~

OT: SO CLEAN to sanitize N95 masks?

Post by Grace~~~ » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:26 pm

:shock:

Lets hope not!

I just watched the 3/29 briefing by President Trump where he announced they would begin sanitizing and reusing masks. He mentioned they may be able to get 20 uses out a mask instead of a single use.

All I could think of was that I hope they're not throwing them in a fauxclean. :roll:
Began XPAP May 2016. Autoset Pressure min. 8 / max 15. Ramp off. ERP set at 2. No humidity. Sleepyhead software installed and being looked at daily, though only beginning to understand the data.

palerider

Re: OT: SO CLEAN to sanitize N95 masks?

Post by palerider » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:29 pm

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:52 pm

from the article-

The process uses specialized equipment to vaporize hydrogen peroxide, which can then infuse all the layers of the mask to kill germs (including viruses) without degrading mask material.

“This is a decontamination technology and method we’ve used for years in our biocontainment laboratory,” said Scott Alderman, associate director of the Duke Regional Biocontainment Laboratory, in a statement.

now i didn't read too closely, but just how widespread and convenient is the process?

i'm hoping this can be easily duplicated and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

eta: ah! reading, how does it work?

Monte Brown, MD, vice president at Duke University Health System, said the Duke team is working to spread the word about the technique, making the protocols widely available. He said several health systems and many pharmaceutical companies already have the needed equipment, which is currently used in different ways, and could ramp up operations to come to the aid of their local hospitals.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Grace~~~

Post by Grace~~~ » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:23 am

It is great to see everyone around the world thinking and trying new things. I think the pros of some "out of the box" thinking, and intelligent deregulation could result in not only overcoming this virus but, God Willing, will provide us new insight and data that could cure other diseases and other "problems" in general.

Of course those "pros" still come with the "cons" of salivating lawyers ready to sue someone. (which is how we got in this hamstrung red taped mess)

I'm sure that there are some very light uses of masks that would be appropriate for decontamination.

I read the link Palerider shared and this public comment was right below it.

:?
We have successful tests with super-high concentration (50+ppm) gaseous ozone shock treatment, leaving no residues, using no consumables, as long as you have electricity, you never run out of disinfectant. Units are fully mobile, ready to deploy anywhere. EPA, FDA, USDE registered and approved.
Began XPAP May 2016. Autoset Pressure min. 8 / max 15. Ramp off. ERP set at 2. No humidity. Sleepyhead software installed and being looked at daily, though only beginning to understand the data.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:35 am

Commercial producer, not the scam setups made by Snowclean.
The headline should have not implied that Suckclean was even related to this application,
which is anything but the toxic ozone mess that is SoNOTclean.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snorenomore2016

Post by snorenomore2016 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:28 pm

Am very surprised companies selling ozone and ultraviolet cleaners are allowed to advertise their effectiveness for cleaning CPAP equipment. They have never been approved by the FDA for this purpose nor have they ever submitted data to the FDA to support their claim. It is illegal to advertise this way. Please read FDA’s statement. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-a ... one-gas-or

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:42 pm

I have been using hearing aid conditioners containing UV lights for several years.
The FAN helps dry the device, but the UV is only proven to help with ODOR.
I have never expected a UV light to do more than natural SUNSHINE.
However, some hospitals are using very high intensity UV arrays to sanitize PPE's for reuse.
I would consider a peroxide rinse for washable DIY masks.
Why not?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:09 pm

snorenomore2016 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:28 pm
Am very surprised companies selling ozone and ultraviolet cleaners are allowed to advertise their effectiveness for cleaning CPAP equipment. They have never been approved by the FDA for this purpose nor have they ever submitted data to the FDA to support their claim. It is illegal to advertise this way. Please read FDA’s statement. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-a ... one-gas-or
Think about the current federal govt underfunding the FTC (and FDA) next time you go to vote.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:10 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:42 pm
Why not?
UVC sanitizers are much more powerful than sunlight... FWIW.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:20 pm

palerider wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:10 pm
chunkyfrog wrote:
Why not?
You collapsed my chain of thought.
No fair!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:16 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:20 pm
palerider wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:10 pm
chunkyfrog wrote:
Why not?
You collapsed my chain of thought.
No fair!
It all depends on the size of the spy glass, ask your Ant's! :wink: Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

CPAPforever

Post by CPAPforever » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:54 pm

snorenomore2016 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:28 pm
FDA statement actually says "not legally marketed in USA" for this (CPAP) purpose. I posted link to FDA Safety notice on DME YouTube sales videos under comments. One DME that has 100s pitching UV and ozone "sanitizer". One replied with this link to manufacturers sales brochure that mentions coronavirus. http://3bproducts.com/news/coronavirus-and-lumin/

Manufacturer has shown recent test show it kills 99.9% of e. coli. and flu. No information about how they actually "tested". Bet not even close to demonstrating FDA scientific requirements. Would you put your cell phone or plastic vehicle key fob in this sanitizer regularly? Key fobs expensive to replace at dealer. Wonder what UV does to display on cell phone?

UV light damages plastic in the sun quite quickly. I do self-watering container-gardening using plastic tote bought at Lowes. After 3 months the plastic is brittle and easily broke. Designer of these gardening containers recommended that all plastic containers be sprayed with special UV protectant for plastic.

CPAP/BiBAP machines have internal plastic parts as well as plastic hose connectors and mask frames. Probably why ResMed says damage from UV light and ozone not covered under warranty.