Remember me? I'm back on CPAP. Let's catch up!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

prodigyplace

Re: Remember me? I'm back on CPAP. Let's catch up!

Post by prodigyplace » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:21 pm

socknitster wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:16 am
Thanks for the tips.

I asked about the SD card and they said they don't provide them anymore because there is a cell phone inside the machine that transmits the data directly to my provider.

I'll look up OSCAR. Thanks!
The DME lied. All ResMed machines are shipped with SD Cards. My DME tried to keep mine until I insisted my doctor needed the card. Only a small capacity SD Card is needed.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:23 pm

socknitster wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:57 am
.And the machine display tells me nothing besides how long I used the thing.

Pardon my language, but I'm a little pissed. An SD card is now on my shopping list. Is there a size I should look for?

Thank you so much for this new information. I'm trying to sift through everything to catch up on what has changed. I'll be downloading OSCAR asap.
If you hold down the Home button & the round knob, you get into the Clinical Menu. There is an option in there to show more information on the main screen but I did not find that very useful.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:47 pm

Hi, Jen!
Glad to see you here. I check in from time to time and sometimes wonder about all the folks who were around in 2007. I'm still using the same equipment and still feel like crap, lol. My machine went over 20,000 hours about three years ago and I've just qualified for Medicare so the fun begins.

Bev

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:08 pm

Thanks for the tip, ProdigyPlace. Appreciated!

Hi Bev! Good to see you're still hanging out. Holy cow! Well I hope Medicare gets you a nice new machine!

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:24 pm

socknitster wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:08 pm
Thanks for the tip, ProdigyPlace. Appreciated!
You are welcome. I guess you noticed that is where you can adjust all sorts of settings. (carefully, of course...) :wink:

I am sure you know how helpful people here can be.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:59 am

zonker wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:55 pm
socknitster wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:02 pm
Thanks for the suggestion, Zonker.

I actually took turmeric for years because it was recommended for my issues with CFS/ME. Sadly I also have a lot of issues with allergies/food allergies and I can't take it anymore because I seem to be allergic to it.

Hey, Julie! Nice to see you again. Hope you are doing well. :)
well, that sucks! hopefully, you can find another way to be comfortable.
Hi, I remember you; welcome back! I'm seldom here but my spot oximer died and I logged in to see which is recommended by members. You might try ginger either the powder or minced fresh as herbal tea OR in capsules. Member here said it completely resolved his GERD.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:41 pm

prodigyplace wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:24 pm
I am sure you know how helpful people here can be.
Indeed! That's why I'm back. I've already picked up a ton of useful information.
Muse-Inc wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:59 am
Hi, I remember you; welcome back! I'm seldom here but my spot oximer died and I logged in to see which is recommended by members. You might try ginger either the powder or minced fresh as herbal tea OR in capsules. Member here said it completely resolved his GERD.
Hi Muse! I remember you too! I've been surprised by how many of the folks I knew from 2007-2010 are still around or popping in from time to time. It's so good to see you again!

So far all I've tried is not eating for a few hours before going to bed, but ginger sounds like a good idea. I'll search the forum for more information. Thanks!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:48 pm

I drink diet ginger ale or ginger tea--but I add about a capful of ginger juice to my glass.
Made by Ginger People, available in health food stores--shake before using--it settles.

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:21 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:48 pm
I drink diet ginger ale or ginger tea--but I add about a capful of ginger juice to my glass.
Made by Ginger People, available in health food stores--shake before using--it settles.
The Ginger People

a Quinn Martin production.

cancelled way too soon in my estimation.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:28 pm

prodigyplace wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:23 pm

If you hold down the Home button & the round knob, you get into the Clinical Menu. There is an option in there to show more information on the main screen but I did not find that very useful.
I look at mine every morning. Love seeing Mask Leak = 0. As long as I am getting that and an AHI of 1.0 or less, there is no need to review on OSCAR.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:05 pm

zonker wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:21 pm
chunkyfrog wrote:
The Ginger People

I wonder if they were all redheads . . .

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:28 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:05 pm
zonker wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:21 pm
chunkyfrog wrote:
The Ginger People

I wonder if they were all redheads . . .
squint.gif
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Okaythen

Post by Okaythen » Sun May 17, 2020 5:32 am

Socknister, welcome back. I’m glad things are going well for you with respect to your PAP therapy. Regarding CFS, I was previously diagnosed with it by my sleep doctor, mainly because CPAP treatment was not resolving my symptoms, and it seemed to be the default diagnosis after having excluded everything else. I still remain compliant on CPAP, four years now, and I am still searching for answers: every morning, without fail, I awake severely exhausted.

How were you diagnosed with CFS?

Do you think the poor sleep was the main reason for your CFS symptoms?

Additional Comments: BiPap is set to 7.5/5 pressure

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Mon May 18, 2020 11:55 am

Hey there!

Since we're chatting in PMs I won't readdress all of that again, but you do raise a slightly different question here and it's possible that my comments could help someone else.

I was diagnosed with CFS in 2009 after my regular doctor (that I had seen since the late 1990s) ran a bunch of blood tests and tests on my heart that didn't reveal anything out of the ordinary. I was already on CPAP at that time. The CFS was new and different than my fatigue from OSA--it began (like so many people with CFS/ME and POTS) with a bout of the flu that didn't end. At first I couldn't accept that diagnosis. I saw many different doctors. Even some quacks. No one had a clue. It seems CFS is what they label you with when they don't know what the heck is truly wrong.

I did go into remission for a long span of time between then and now, where the symptoms seemed tolerable, milder. I wasn't bed bound. I could function and work. They are back full force now, inexplicably. And have been for over a year. I've really been struggling and unable to work (I'm a novelist--brain fog and fatigue are not conducive to good writing.).

My symptoms never quite fit CFS exactly. I also have a couple of oddball symptoms like extreme sweating. Shortness of breath upon minimal exercise.

I recently learned of a condition called POTS. It's a circulatory issue, not an energy generation issue. All of my symptoms fit it far better than they do CFS. The sweating. The feeling of my heart pounding just from standing up. Everything fits. So I'm currently looking for a cardiologist that treats or diagnoses POTS as soon as it's safe to (because of Covid-19.).

Ultimately I don't think OSA plays well with either CFS or POTS. There is some aspect of the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system being over-activated. I'm literally in fight or flight mode all of the time. I drive my family nuts because I have an over-developed startle reflex--I scream (and I mean SCREAM) at the slightest startle. I can't control it. It just happens. A lot. Every time someone walks into the kitchen silently when my back is turned.

But do I think OSA is the root cause? No. I feel like my OSA was extremely well-treated and I was feeling very normal when I got the flu and came down with either CFS or POTS. As for the flare up I've had recently of my fatigue (and other) symptoms--I'll concede that the return of OSA may have been the stressor that forced me out of the sort of remission I was in. I suspect that whatever is causing my fatigue is something I was genetically susceptible to and the virus triggered it.

The viral cause of both CFS and POTS are well documented. In fact, every time there is a big viral outbreak, there is a spike in diagnosis of both syndromes. With the worldwide pandemic of Covid-19 affecting so many, I've read that doctors expect there to also be an unprecedented surge in cases of CFS and POTS. Maybe, finally, some money will be thrown at researching these illnesses. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but if it's going to happen I do hope something good comes of it.

All my best--
Jen