...using cpap in a USA train...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
svo

...using cpap in a USA train...

Post by svo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:58 pm

I will be traveling by the auto-train between Virgina and Florida soon.....will I have to be concerned with any electrical issues a far as connecting with outlets in the train sleeping cabin...thanks for the help

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: ...using cpap in a USA train...

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:18 pm

Call the railroad.
They ought to be bending over backward for business.

ClayL
Location: Palisade, CO now, was Full time in a motor home for 12 years- Anywhere USA

Post by ClayL » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:52 am

A couple of years ago my wife and I took a train trip in a sleeper car (small berth) from CO to NH. I was able to board the train a week before the trip and inspect the berth. As a result I got a couple of ten foot extension cords that we (both use cpap) used. Could not have used either machine without them. Also needed in the hotels we stayed in. A 4 port USB charger was very helpful too.
Respironics DreamStation
Pressure = 11.5 min 14.5 max
C-Flex = 1

Dreamwear FF

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:30 pm

Yes, clear it with the railroad. Make sure that they standard US electricity (110 volts / 60 hz) and standard US wall sockets. If not (unlikely), you'll deal with that later. Note, however, that aircraft electricity is sometimes 125 volts / 400 hz); not sure about trains.

Find out how far away the sockets are from the bed. Also, ask if you can use a surge suppressor (cruise ships don't like it; again not sure about trains).

Amishboy51

Post by Amishboy51 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:28 pm

To the best of my memory, I used my cpap 5 years ago on the auto train without any problem. However, it might also depend on whether you booked a compartment or just a seat.

By the way, I hope you’re not one of those overweight cpap users (like me). Space throughout the train is tight, including private compartments (bonus experience: combo toilet/shower) and corridors. And don’t rely exclusively on your electronic devices, because the internet connection (5 years ago, anyway) was not always reliable. Also, I hope your train leaves and arrives on time; delays are not uncommon.

(In case you couldn’t tell, once was more than enough for me.)

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:02 pm

I did take an overnight train from Moscow to St. Petersburg (Russia) back in 2009. I had a private compartment. It had a standard (for Russia) electric socket and voltage.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:32 pm

D.H., that's very helpful to the OP.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:36 pm

D.H. wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:02 pm
I did take an overnight train from Moscow to St. Petersburg (Russia) back in 2009.
Good thing you specified St. Petersburg Russia. Wouldn't want anyone to get onto a train in St. Petersburg Florida, and end up in Moscow.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:54 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:36 pm
D.H. wrote:
I did take an overnight train from Moscow to St. Petersburg (Russia) back in 2009.
Good thing you specified St. Petersburg Russia. Wouldn't want anyone to get onto a train in St. Petersburg Florida, and end up in Moscow.
Even worse, I would have drowned on the way! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ClayL
Location: Palisade, CO now, was Full time in a motor home for 12 years- Anywhere USA

Post by ClayL » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:44 pm

Regarding using devices that need the internet. Some people used a smartphone as a hotspot but I don't have a smartphone so I bought a Verizon prepaid 4G/3G MIFI and connected my tablet and my wife's laptop to it. As I recall at least 5 devices can be connected at once. The prepaid data expires after 6 weeks and additional MB can be purchased on line as needed. Also we were more comfortable using the MIFI for banking ect than the hotel WIFI.
The train supposedly had WIFI connections but it was very spotty.
Respironics DreamStation
C-Flex = 1

Dreamwear FF

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:51 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:32 pm
D.H., that's very helpful to the OP.
Just as helpful as "oh look at me, I'm a whorled traveler" DH EVER is...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:52 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
D.H. wrote:
I hate it when they forget to make that left turn in Albakarkeys.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:53 pm

D.H. wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:54 pm
Dog Slobber wrote:
D.H. wrote:
Even worse, I would have drowned on the way! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That WOULD have saved us a lot of trouble.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:55 pm

ClayL wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:44 pm
Regarding using devices that need the internet. Some people used a smartphone as a hotspot but I don't have a smartphone so I bought a Verizon prepaid 4G/3G MIFI and connected my tablet and my wife's laptop to it. As I recall at least 5 devices can be connected at once. The prepaid data expires after 6 weeks and additional MB can be purchased on line as needed. Also we were more comfortable using the MIFI for banking ect than the hotel WIFI.
*Scratching head*

non se·qui·tur
/ˌnän ˈsekwədər/
noun
noun: non sequitur; plural noun: non sequiturs; noun: nonsequitur; plural noun: nonsequiturs

a conclusion or statement that does not logically follow from the previous argument or statement.

ClayL

Post by ClayL » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:14 pm

Since he is going on a train trip I thought the info might be helpful.
palerider wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:55 pm
ClayL wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:44 pm
*Scratching head*

non se·qui·tur
/ˌnän ˈsekwədər/
noun
noun: non sequitur; plural noun: non sequiturs; noun: nonsequitur; plural noun: nonsequiturs

a conclusion or statement that does not logically follow from the previous argument or statement.
Respironics DreamStation
C-Flex = 1

Dreamwear FF