Request advice regarding nasal pillows

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chronic

Request advice regarding nasal pillows

Post by chronic » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:29 pm

I have used the nasal mast Activia LT for years. My dme is telling me they are having a hard time getting restocked because it is out of style and few people use them. I kind of want to change to pillows if I could because my activa is pushing me upper teeth and gums in. I have a year and a half of supplies if they want to change me. What do you say? Anyone use pillows all the time?

zonker

Re: Request advice regarding nasal pillows

Post by zonker » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:04 pm

chronic wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:29 pm
I have used the nasal mast Activia LT for years. My dme is telling me they are having a hard time getting restocked because it is out of style and few people use them. I kind of want to change to pillows if I could because my activa is pushing me upper teeth and gums in. I have a year and a half of supplies if they want to change me. What do you say? Anyone use pillows all the time?
i've used the p10 pillow mask for almost three years. it works great for me.

that said, a mask is an individual thing, what works for me may not necessarily work for thee.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

harrywr2

Post by harrywr2 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:15 am

I use the P10 with the AirMini and the P30i with the AirSense. I like the minimalism of the P10 but also like the swivel above my head on the P30i.

SteveO2

Post by SteveO2 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:24 am

I have used pillows full time for 5+ years. I have a full face mask for when I have a cold, but never use it because if I'm patient the pillows will usually open up my sinuses so I can breathe even when congested. I tried the P10 briefly and liked it's light weight and minimalist headgear, but I have a larger head and the non-adjustable headgear creates too much tension on my nose. So, I continue to use and highly recommend the Swift FX with included cheek pads.

Steve

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:59 am

My suggestions.

If you like minimalist:
The ResMed P10 is the hands down favourite for minimalism. The biggest complaint is the headgear has limited adjustability and stretches out requiring frequent washing to shrink back down. A few members have reported the P20 headstrap is compatible and addresses the head strap issue.

If you like top connect:
The ResMed P30i is very popular, many P10 users have switched and love it, myself included. The biggest complaint is the head straps slide up. A few have reported switching out the ResMed head strap and swapping in the Respironics arm style head strap, fits well and solves the sliding up issue.

Mr Nosey

Post by Mr Nosey » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:29 am

I had been using a variety of pillow masks, with the P10, Aloha, FX, LT and Nuance being my "go to" masks...until I tried the Resmed N30 nasal mask (NOT to be confused with the N30i).

I recommend trying the P10..or make the leap to the N30 nasal mask, which I like due to fit (I've never had any leaks), comfort (does not press up against my nostrils like the pillow masks do) and that the design is such that the mask does not touch the bridge of my nose.

chronic

Post by chronic » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:12 pm

I need something that doesn't press on my upper, upper lip! Just below my nose.

jamor

Post by jamor » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:59 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:59 am
A few members have reported the P20 headstrap is compatible and addresses the head strap issue.
What is the P20? Never heard of that and I can't really find anything online.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:03 am

jamor wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:59 am
Dog Slobber wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:59 am
A few members have reported the P20 headstrap is compatible and addresses the head strap issue.
What is the P20? Never heard of that and I can't really find anything online.
Ooooops sorry, that should be N30. really butchered it.

joeljjk11

Post by joeljjk11 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:40 am

The Airfit P10 is a great mask. Does not leave any marks on my face and makes literally no noise. I found the Swift FX to be extremely loud and it woke me up in the middle of the night so I would not recommend it. I would go with the P10.

jamor

Post by jamor » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:25 pm

Looking for some advice on the Nuance Pro pillows. Been long time P10 user. My DME got in a tift with REsmed and no longer carry their masks. I have at least a few month stock of parts for my P10 so no worries about running out. With things as they are in the world, Instead of trying to shop for a DME, I am planning on trying out the Nuance Pro pillows to see what I think. I have a feeling I won't like it as much as the P10 because of the venting, but I am curious of some folks that have used both the P10 and Nuance Pro can offer any comparisons.

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:27 pm

jamor wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:25 pm
Looking for some advice on the Nuance Pro pillows. Been long time P10 user. My DME got in a tift with REsmed and no longer carry their masks. I have at least a few month stock of parts for my P10 so no worries about running out. With things as they are in the world, Instead of trying to shop for a DME, I am planning on trying out the Nuance Pro pillows to see what I think. I have a feeling I won't like it as much as the P10 because of the venting, but I am curious of some folks that have used both the P10 and Nuance Pro can offer any comparisons.
I have used both. Frankly, I hated the P10. I found it extremely uncomfortable. It hurt my nares, actually just one side and while trying Lanisnoh helped a bit, it did not provide enough relief. I also had difficulty with the straps. My hair is very fine and silky (not usually a problem :shock: ) and they back of my head is flat. The combination of the two caused the strap to slide up repeatedly, causing the mask to slip off and wake me necessitating repositioning. The Nuance Pro was more comfortable on my nose but I still had the strap problem. That was actually a problem with all the masks I tried (maybe 12 to 15 different ones? over the first 15 months on CPAP, most of them during the first month) until I started on the Bleep. Happily using the Bleep for over a year now!

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

joeljjk11

Post by joeljjk11 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:30 pm

jamor wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:25 pm
I never go through my DME, I Just order everything online, usually at www.cpap.com.

I used the Nuance Pro with the fabric frame for a long time and it is a solid mask. The venting is louder than the P10 but it did not wake me up in the middle of the night like the Swift FX did. I would recommend the fabric frame because the gel frame broke after a few months or I would get like a sore/marks from them on my face. The fabric was better for me.

I do think the P10 is a better overall mask though and it is what I am currently using.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:01 pm

My problem with nasal pillows was that they always had condensation and my nose always felt wet. This might have been due to my cold room plus an old APAP which was a PRS1 with a dead humidifier. But I hated that feeling. I use the Dreamwear now (and there are similar ones) which just sits below my nose but doesn't put ANY pressure on my upper lip or nose. The strap in back tends to ride up, but it's very easily re-positioned and very comfortable.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm