New here: mask injury, Oscar, etc

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Stephaniedp3

New here: mask injury, Oscar, etc

Post by Stephaniedp3 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:42 pm

So I don’t really see a significant difference between Oscar data and the basic data given by my dream mapper.

Firstly, in the beginning did anyone make their mask too tight? I did and I injured my face. I woke up with marks and welts on my face that graduated to blisters. Not fun! I seem to be doing better, I slowly loosened the mask so last night (night 6) was definitely the most comfortable night so far. As a side sleeper I was surprised to have stayed on my back. I don’t even remember turning over or waking up at all. I used to flip flop all night. I unfortunately despite getting 7+ hours a night I feel more tired and less rested since starting my APAP. :(

Also the last 2 nights I had no apneas just a few hyponeas. It’s shocking that they said I stopped breathing 53 times an hour and now none. Wish I felt better.

One thing I didn’t expect is my lungs feel clearer. Like I can breathe more deeply. I also donate plasma twice a week so they always take my blood pressure and pulse. My resting heart rate dropped to 62 and it’s normally 65-70 and my blood pressure was 107/72 and is normally around 118/80 ish. My experience has been up and down that’s why I waited to make my first post. I started off the first night getting frustrated, crying, and throwing my mask on the floor. Now I actually had a fairly comfortable night.

I’m also curious, my doctor said my apnea is severe. I asked if I lost weight (33 years old, 5’10, 307lbs) if it would go away. He said it may get better but might never go away.
Is it really that unlikely? I’ll use it while I need to because I want to stay healthy (thankfully my lungs and heart haven’t been affected). But if I could eventually get off cpap that’d be awesome.

Sorry to ramble.

TropicalDiver

Re: New here: mask injury, Oscar, etc

Post by TropicalDiver » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:03 pm

A healthy weight has many positive health benefits. In terms of apnea, your doctor summed up the apnea impact well. It might help but it might not eliminate -- only a new sleep study after weight loss could determine what your apnea is like then.

Yes, the summary data should be essentially the same between the app from the manufacturer app and OSCAR. What is different is the breadth and granularity of the data. The app is fine for things like your AHI and hours used. But it doesn't show enough data to make meaningful improvements to your treatment. Or even to determine in a meaningful way how well your treatment is working.

In terms of tired, how long have been using the device?

And, welcome!
Last edited by TropicalDiver on Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Machine: Aircurve 10 Vauto (Prior S9 VPAP)
Mask: Quattro Air FFM and AirTouch F20 FFM

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:13 pm

Stephaniedp3 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:42 pm
So I don’t really see a significant difference between Oscar data and the basic data given by my dream mapper.

I’m also curious, my doctor said my apnea is severe. I asked if I lost weight (33 years old, 5’10, 307lbs) if it would go away. He said it may get better but might never go away.
Is it really that unlikely? I’ll use it while I need to because I want to stay healthy (thankfully my lungs and heart haven’t been affected). But if I could eventually get off cpap that’d be awesome.

Sorry to ramble.
no apologies needed. we've all pretty much been there and done that.

i want to reinforce what 'diver already said. oscar won't mean that much to you. hell, it doesn't mean much to me, frankly. but it does break down your ahi into events. those events are important. the experts here can look at your charts, see what is going on and give advice to improve your therapy. so when you get a minute, post some charts and see what advice you get, eh?

as to the other part i quoted, it's very unlikely that weight loss will rid you of sleep apnea. there have been a very tiny number of people who have done it. the thing is, you'd have to have another sleep test to prove that you've been "cured". only two people who have posted here in my fours have actually done it and backed it up by going and getting a test.

the idea of not wearing a mask and being connected to a machine is indeed 'awesome". but i'm sorry to say that this is pretty much for the rest of your life.

good luck!
Last edited by zonker on Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:20 pm

Stephaniedp3 wrote:

Firstly, in the beginning did anyone make their mask too tight? I did and I injured my face. I woke up with marks and welts on my face that graduated to blisters. Not fun! I seem to be doing better, I slowly loosened the mask so last night (night 6) was definitely the most comfortable night so far. As a side sleeper I was surprised to have stayed on my back. I don’t even remember turning over or waking up at all. I used to flip flop all night. I unfortunately despite getting 7+ hours a night I feel more tired and less rested since starting my APAP. :(

Also the last 2 nights I had no apneas just a few hyponeas. It’s shocking that they said I stopped breathing 53 times an hour and now none. Wish I felt better.

One thing I didn’t expect is my lungs feel clearer. Like I can breathe more deeply. I also donate plasma twice a week so they always take my blood pressure and pulse. My resting heart rate dropped to 62 and it’s normally 65-70 and my blood pressure was 107/72 and is normally around 118/80 ish. My experience has been up and down that’s why I waited to make my first post. I started off the first night getting frustrated, crying, and throwing my mask on the floor. Now I actually had a fairly comfortable night.

Sorry to ramble.
The reason for the drop is because you are now being treated with the CPAP. Whether weight loss will make the apneas go away or not, it will make you much healthier.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:05 pm

If it were my, I'd take time off from blood draining. That alone could affect how you feel. Everything you have been told here makes sense. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:58 pm

Congratulations on starting treatment for your apnea. This will do wonders for your long-term health.

Of course, you’d also like to know when it will do wonders for your short-term feeling of restedness. Well, you may have a considerable sleep deficit to make up, and you may also still be having disruptions to your sleep cycles even though you’re sleeping more peacefully.

So bottom line: improvements can be gradual and they can take time. Patience is the watchword. And one other thing—why not shoot for 8+ hours of sleep per night? Give it a couple of weeks and see how you like it.

Keep us posted, would you?
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Stephaniedp3

Post by Stephaniedp3 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:09 pm

Has anyone experienced their face flushing at night that has gone away once starting cpap? I’ve always had in range blood pressure but my face flushes at night. But that seems to be going away since starting my cpap.

Also I noticed something when I first get in bed I try to relax and focus on calm breathing while my ramp goes up. The ramp starts at 5 and works well for me so I can fall asleep. But I noticed when I start to drift I take a sharp breath inward. My machine is saying zero apneas the past few nights. I’m assuming my airway is relaxing and not quite at my optimal pressure yet (usually 10-12) and my body or machine is forcing me to breathe lol.

gv280z

Post by gv280z » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:56 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:05 pm
If it were my, I'd take time off from blood draining. That alone could affect how you feel. Everything you have been told here makes sense. Jim
When you donate plasma, you get your blood back after it goes through a centrifuge for separation.
Stephaniedp3 wrote:

Sorry to ramble.
You don't need to apologize for anything, your first post is chock full of relevance. I think you're doing great and are on a fast track to success :) I was also diagnosed as severe and yes my first couple weeks were a little bumpy, but that is to be expected, and yes of course I over tightened my first mask, which was an F20, causing acne and scarring on the bridge of my nose. At that time I didn't yet realize the importance of (speaking for myself, k? No toe stepping) washing the mask daily, because of all the leftover facial oil and grime on the mask.

I promise, you're doing everything right on trying to find the right balance of comfort and tightness without leaks on adjusting your headgear. It's kind of an art, but once you do nail it, I recommend using a permanent marker to draw belt loops or place holders on the straps to give you a point of reference for adjustment. Over time, you will need to make small adjustments on the headgear as it will continue to break in.

Seriously, you may not feel yet like you get it, but I think you're gonna be up on your skiis here very soon.
Yay :D For no more diaphragm cramps and dozing off while driving! :lol:

Stephaniedp3

Post by Stephaniedp3 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:55 am

gv280z wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:56 pm
Goofproof wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:05 pm
When you donate plasma, you get your blood back after it goes through a centrifuge for separation.
Stephaniedp3 wrote:

Sorry to ramble.
You don't need to apologize for anything, your first post is chock full of relevance. I think you're doing great and are on a fast track to success :) I was also diagnosed as severe and yes my first couple weeks were a little bumpy, but that is to be expected, and yes of course I over tightened my first mask, which was an F20, causing acne and scarring on the bridge of my nose. At that time I didn't yet realize the importance of (speaking for myself, k? No toe stepping) washing the mask daily, because of all the leftover facial oil and grime on the mask.

I promise, you're doing everything right on trying to find the right balance of comfort and tightness without leaks on adjusting your headgear. It's kind of an art, but once you do nail it, I recommend using a permanent marker to draw belt loops or place holders on the straps to give you a point of reference for adjustment. Over time, you will need to make small adjustments on the headgear as it will continue to break in.

Seriously, you may not feel yet like you get it, but I think you're gonna be up on your skiis here very soon.
Thank you! At the moment I seem to be adjusting to the machine and mask very well. I’m barely stirring during the night when I used to toss and turn like crazy! I’m falling asleep a little easier also. I know a lot of people dislike the ramp feature but it seems to work well for me. I’ve been slowly loosening my mask every couple nights. It still doesn’t seem perfect as I have gotten a little blister under my nose (septum), but with all this support I’m continuing to stay positive and make adjustments. :)

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:34 pm

Stephaniedp3 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:55 am

Thank you! At the moment I seem to be adjusting to the machine and mask very well. I’m barely stirring during the night when I used to toss and turn like crazy! I’m falling asleep a little easier also. I know a lot of people dislike the ramp feature but it seems to work well for me. I’ve been slowly loosening my mask every couple nights. It still doesn’t seem perfect as I have gotten a little blister under my nose (septum), but with all this support I’m continuing to stay positive and make adjustments. :)

catfistbump.gif

excellent! sounds like you are coming along great.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

justagirlinsacto71

Post by justagirlinsacto71 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:18 pm

I don't know if losing weight will make CPAP go away. I weigh 128 lbs, and have moderate sleep apnea. I did get welts on my face when my mask was brand new, I don't get welts anymore, but it still leaves marks, that fade through the day. I usually put some face cream on before before putting my mask on at night, that seems to help a little.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:54 pm

justagirlinsacto71 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:18 pm
I don't know if losing weight will make CPAP go away. I weigh 128 lbs, and have moderate sleep apnea. I did get welts on my face when my mask was brand new, I don't get welts anymore, but it still leaves marks, that fade through the day. I usually put some face cream on before before putting my mask on at night, that seems to help a little.
i hate to break it to you, but it is extremely unlikely that losing weight will make your "cpap go away". it WILL lessen the severity of your sleep apnea. but this is pretty much it for the rest of your (hopefully long!) life.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:20 pm

I lost 75 lbs but it didn't budge my need for CPAP even a little. Still very severe apnea (worse than yours though I weigh less). However, there have been HUGE benefits from losing the weight, so don't let that discourage you. Also, it is easier to lose weight if your apnea is well treated. Sleep apnea messes with hunger hormones and insulin. Once those are under control weight loss gets a lot easier.

I was VERY sleepy at first. Part of it was the adjustment to CPAP, but the other part I refer to as sleep "hunger". I had such lousy interrupted sleep for decades before treatment, I think my body was craving all the good sleep it could get. It took a few months for that to go away. Some people refer to it as "repaying the sleep debt" but from my reading that's not factual. I think my body just craved that peaceful, fully oxygenated sleep.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:37 pm

zonker wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:54 pm
justagirlinsacto71 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:18 pm
i hate to break it to you, but it is extremely unlikely that losing weight will make your "cpap go away". it MAY lessen the severity of your sleep apnea. but this is pretty much it for the rest of your (hopefully long!) life.
Fixed that for you... Some peoples gets worse and needs more pressure with weight loss..

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:38 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:37 pm
zonker wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:54 pm

i hate to break it to you, but it is extremely unlikely that losing weight will make your "cpap go away". it MAY lessen the severity of your sleep apnea. but this is pretty much it for the rest of your (hopefully long!) life.
Fixed that for you... Some peoples gets worse and needs more pressure with weight loss..
thanks, prof!

**puts on list as #37**
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac