UPDATED: Really need recs for new mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Violet West

UPDATED: Really need recs for new mask

Post by Violet West » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:39 pm

Hi guys! Long time no see. I've been using my CPAP for several years now with minimal problems. My doc says my results are "perfect." Yes, it can be done! However, I've become frustrated with my Swift FX nano nasal pillow mask and am looking for recommendations. It's getting to be supremely annoying and I desperately need a new mask now.

I like the nasal pillows just fine -- it's the strap around the back that is giving me problems. I slip it under a ponytail, but even so, I'm forever yanking it down during the night in order to seat the pillows correctly.There seem to be a lot more options now; I wonder if you all have a recommendation.

It doesn't seem like we have a review section or anything, although I know there must be a lot of discussion. It's not like I can sample them and return, and they're not cheap. Further, I know there's no "perfect" mask. If I could just get the straps to stay put!

What do you think? I don't want a full face mask. What options do you like?

Thanks.
Last edited by Violet West on Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Re: Really need recs for new mask

Post by Pugsy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:47 pm

Have you ever bought from cpap.com? They now have free return insurance on all masks they sell. You can get your money back if you don't like it and you get it back to them within 30 days of when they ship it to you.

You might take a look at the mask in my profile.....no straps at all.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Violet West

Post by Violet West » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:07 pm

I usually order from Amazon as it's much cheaper, but that's good to know. And wow, that's a cool one, although I'm very sensitive to adhesive, so probably not for me.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:21 pm

It's hypoallergenic adhesive....if you want to test it send me a PM with your name and address and I will send you a small sample to try and see if you have a problem with it or not.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Violet West

Post by Violet West » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:22 pm

Thanks, Pugsy; I'll let you know.

Violet West

Post by Violet West » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:58 am

Decided to get a Fisker & Paykel Brevida mask. Will let you know how I like it.

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:12 pm

Violet West wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:39 pm
Hi guys! Long time no see. I've been using my CPAP for several years now with minimal problems. My doc says my results are "perfect." Yes, it can be done! However, I've become frustrated with my Swift FX nano nasal pillow mask and am looking for recommendations. It's getting to be supremely annoying and I desperately need a new mask now.

I like the nasal pillows just fine -- it's the strap around the back that is giving me problems. I slip it under a ponytail, but even so, I'm forever yanking it down during the night in order to seat the pillows correctly.There seem to be a lot more options now; I wonder if you all have a recommendation.

It doesn't seem like we have a review section or anything, although I know there must be a lot of discussion. It's not like I can sample them and return, and they're not cheap. Further, I know there's no "perfect" mask. If I could just get the straps to stay put!

What do you think? I don't want a full face mask. What options do you like?

Thanks.
If you decide the Brevida you ordered doesn't work for you, I'm with Pugsy in suggesting the Bleep. Like you, I had had a terrible time with the back strap riding up and causing the mask to shift throughout the night. Caused multiple wake ups due to the leaks from the the mask shifting out of position, leaking into my eyes, waking me and having to reposition. Also like you, I am sensitive to adhesive. The Bleep adhesive has caused me NO issues since March and the leak rate is incredibly low. No shifting out of place, even when I sleep on my side or stomach with my face in the pillow.

Good luck with the Brevida.

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

Violet West

Post by Violet West » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:48 pm

Cool. Thanks, and I'll let you know.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:41 am

If your mask is riding up put a piece of Velcro ( the piece that has all the prongs on it) on the inside of the mask strap in the back so it will catch to your hair and stay in place.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:30 pm

Velcro only penetrates the top layer of hair; it never reaches my scalp.
Something softer, like puffy paint or silicone dots would be kinder to uncovered skin.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:58 pm

The Velcro is not intended to reach the scalp, it grabs the hair and I doubt it would really hurt.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

Becca8104

Post by Becca8104 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:11 pm

I prefer the hose on my head, so the N30i & P30i are my favorite masks. I now have both and they are both comfortable for me. The P10 is a popular mask that most people like. Prior P10 lovers have switched to The Bleep mask, and if the straps are the issue for you, you should try the Bleep. I have not heard that people have issues with the tape.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. ” —Aristotle.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:00 pm

I liked the ResMed P10, didn't like how it would stretch and become to loose to keep a good. Washing them shrunk them back down, I kept a few and then rotated them putting them in the wash.

Tried the ResMed N30i, didn't like the seal of the Nasal Cradle.

Tried the ResMed P30i, liked both the seal and the top mount.

I'm not sure the N30i or P30i would work for you. The placement of the straps looks similar to the Swift. The Swift straps are likely to as well.

I'd give the P10 a try, it's single / split strap never moved on me and allows a lot more flexibility I placement.

Violet West

Re: UPDATED: Really need recs for new mask

Post by Violet West » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:05 pm

Here's an update: I got the Brevida mask from F&P. It comes in two sizes: extra-small and small; and medium to large. I got the medium to large size, based on the fact that I use the medium nasal pillows with my Swift FX. NOPE! I had to go back and order the smaller size pillows, which did work.

The Brevida is . . okay. I kind of hate it, but I'm giving it a chance. The nasal pillow itself is much larger and covers more, creating (supposedly) a "seal" around your nose. If I need to scratch my nose or something, it breaks the seal and I have to re-seat the whole thing. In terms of positioning, it's harder to determine the right orientation by feel in the dark (something I thought the Swift FX did brilliantly).

I'm also getting a lot of dry mouth, which didn't seem to be a problem with me before. We'll see.