What would you like to see in the next generation of CPAP devices?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Re: What would you like to see in the next generation of CPAP devices?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:38 am

~.JPG

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:40 am

alexander wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:48 am
ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:00 am
alexander wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:24 am
the next generation of CPAP devices?
Your list is mostly nonsense, and everyone should ignore it.
I don’t deny that previous models do a great job. Instead of calling my list mostly nonsense,
She's not wrong.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:05 am

palerider wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:40 am
palerider » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:40 am
You misquoted me. But, it's an improvement.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:26 am

Hood scoop.
Dual glass packs.
Four on the floor.
Bucket seats. (roll and tuck)
Tinted glass.

I'll stop there.
This is getting out of hand.

JPB

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:10 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:05 am
palerider wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:40 am
palerider » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:40 am
You misquoted me. But, it's an improvement.
:D :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wish the forum had the strikethrough text mod for situations such as that.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:40 pm

The title of the post, overall is kind of interesting. I mean it would be cool to think if we actually came up with specific things we would like to see implemented that there would be a chance a manufacture's rep would be peeking at this forum and see it.

The CPAP making companies would be silly not to have people who's job it is to comb social media and sites like this to see if they see trends that could be used to make them more money... Though... the thought that honestly the Doc's and DME's are the customers of the CPAP companies and we're just the cattle that moves through the machine, makes me feel that whole idea might be a bit more wishful thinking.

I would really like to see changes made were "WE the patient" become the customer and the most important aspect when it comes to research and ideas going forward. They have to know that if they keep the customer informed and empowered they'll have more successful users of their products and life long compliant customers who get replacement supplies now and then, are better then frustrated ill informed customers who give up and throw their one time CPAP in the closet to gather dust, or sell it on craigslist.

I'd like to see them work with the makers of the software we use to read our machines to make the process less painful. I'd like to see them reach out to us more for advice on mask issues or design. I'm not sure what kind of info they get from Doc's and DME's but I know some of them aren't worth the paper their letter head is printed on, I'd hate to imagine some of the useless DME's I've worked with providing input on my behalf to the CPAP manufactures about how their products are fairing out in the world. I just don't feel like they have the passion to care one way or the other what data gets reported back to Resmed or Resperonics other then sales data, if even that.

O well... Here's to hoping for cool new things go come that might actually be useful. :)

Restwell,

Gryphon

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:14 pm

Gryphon wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:40 pm
They have to know that if they keep the customer informed and empowered they'll have more successful users of their products
The vast majority of patients just don't want be become informed and empowered, so your aspiration dies right there.

Whether we like it or nor, xPAP is a consumer electronics market product.... its a regulated medical device product. :idea:

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:14 am

billbolton wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:14 pm
Gryphon wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:40 pm
They have to know that if they keep the customer informed and empowered they'll have more successful users of their products
The vast majority of patients just don't want be become informed and empowered, so your aspiration dies right there.

Whether we like it or nor, xPAP is a consumer electronics market product.... its a regulated medical device product. :idea:
I didn't figure I was being too hopeful... Maybe just wishful. :) I still have family who are refusing to get checked out, or subconsciously fighting the idea that they need to use their machine, every night, every time they sleep etc. But I do still see improvement, and I still have hope that members of my family who are still not wanting to get checked out will do so eventually. I have people at work now who seek me out for advice on PAP related things, and I regularly tell them to come here as well as offer any help I can. I'd like to think I can help motivate more people, one by one, to become "informed and empowered" we're always going to be our best advocate. (preaching to the choir, I know)

I figured going forward the whole premise of this was wishful thinking. Like window shopping were I can Ooo and Ahhh over something I may never be able to buy. Still, ya gota try and have hope.

Rest well,

Gryphon

Midwest_non_sleeper

Post by Midwest_non_sleeper » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:53 am

Here's my list.

1: Price. They need to be cheaper, given the sheer number of people that are being diagnosed with SA. Better technology and fierce competition *usually* results in the lowering of prices, but it seems that SA machines are largely immune to this for some reason.
2: It needs to work, and work mostly efficiently.
3: It needs to go to work for me, because I'm tired of working and want to retire.
4: Can it cut my grass too?
5: I would also really be appreciative if if could clean up my house a little. I work so much and usually after a very long day, have little energy left to clean stuff up all the time.
6: This isn't really absolutely necessary, but it would mitigate #1 of my list: Can it blow out money instead of air while I'm not using it? That would be swell.

Alright, yes, I was being facetious and a jerk, but it was in jest. At this point, I'm happy with my machine and it works as advertised. I don't particularly want it to do much more, I simply need it to work. I think that the more bells and whistles you begin adding, the price also increases, which means that people in less fortunate positions than I couldn't afford to have one. I'm happy with it now.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:39 am

billbolton wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:14 pm
don't want be become informed and empowered,
Even if true, that is never a valid reason, in principle or in practice, to limit others' easy access either to empowerment or to information.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:58 am

Three more things I'd like to see.

1) A standard fitting for a heated hose. For the most part, any non-heated hose can be used on any xPAP machine with no special adapter. I'd like to see the same for the heated hoses. Of course, the manufacturers will resist as they don't want you to buy another brand of heated hose.
2) An accommodation for a high tech filter. While most patients don't need this, those who live in especially polluted places, or those with allergies or advanced respiratory disease could benefit.
3) In addition to being able to use any electricity from 100 to 240 volts, 50 or 60 hz, the machines should also be compatible with the 115 volt/400 hz electricity that one might find on an aircraft. While some manufacturers state that this is OK (if you contact them), it should be clearly stated on the label.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:10 am

"High tech filter"
Um, that already exists--just buy them and install--
So easy a cave man (or D.H.) can do it

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:55 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:10 am
"High tech filter"
Um, that already exists--just buy them and install--
So easy a cave man (or D.H.) can do it
I think "high tech filter" was more akin to what I was talking about... the option to hook a hose up to the cpap air intake so a filter with considerably more serfice area like a box that would hold a 6" by 12" hepa filter as an example for people who need real filtration that isn't from an inline bacteria filter that interferes with humidifiers... right now the filters we have for our machines are a joke... even the fine filters are not that impressive compared to a larger filter that would filter 99.9% down to 1 microns...

I want to see the air intake standardized so a short cpap hose could be attached and fitted to an accessory filter box for those who need it. Overall cost for the change to the cpap device it self should be negligible and the added exspence of the large filter box and replacement filters would only be payed by those who need them.

That's one of the big things I'd like to see.

Oh, and a heated hose interface exstention would be nice... so for example, I could turn off the heated humidifier of my aircurve machine, install an inline bacteria filter then a short hose to a Fisherpecal heated humidifier after the filter, then using the hose interface adapter I could put that on the output of the humidifier and attach my heated hose with out issue.

For filtration I'd like to see at least one option that would allow me to

1. Filter the air with an inline bacteria grade filter "before it gets into the machine or...

2. Filter the air after it leaves my machine but before it hits a humidifier. Inline bacteria filters dont like being hit with heavy humidity like I'm accustomed to using so the clog up very quickly and start to grow science experiments... not good. Only way I can think of doing that is to turn off built in humidifier and attach the filter then use a 3rd party humidifier, but... then I'm not able to use the heated hose that I got with my machine.... catch 22... an adapter would solve that.

Just some ideas I've been wondering about.

Restwell,

Gryphon

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:26 pm

I see.
Definitely something I would use when Kansas sets fire to the prairie---
right as the wind switches to blow into Nebraska.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:37 pm

that's the idea I was wondering about... I have allergies and we have cats... but I forget how many subjects I've seen get started with people asking for help, for what to do when "Wild Fire Season" starts.

When you feel as though you honestly should be wearing a gas mask just to go out side... I'm sure the inside air quality surfers a great deal as well. There's no reason for our machines to be sucking up all that muck even if it is "in the air we breath" if your going to go through the inconvenience of wearing a hose and mask attached to your face, you might as well get the benefit of breathing as pristine filtered air as you can. It shouldn't be that difficult to do.