Call For Questions and Pictures: Respironics ComfortCurve

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
limpy

Questions

Post by limpy » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:17 pm

1. How does this thing interface with your nose? It looks like both nostrils are surrounded by that one center part. This is a good idea in terms of less sizing options/easier fit BUT what about the seal? How exactly does it seal?

2. Back to the nose. It seems like the nostrils will be pointed down, but the air will come from in front of the face. With nasal pillows, the air is routed to blow right into the nares, with this, it looks like it'll come in from the wrong angle.

3. Color! Why do manufacturers ignore color?

4. Is the split [url=https://www.cpap.com/find-cpap-products/HOSE]hose[/url] included with the mask?

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:36 pm

Sorry, Respironics, but this doesn't look like anything I'd be interested in spending money on to try. I prefer the hose routed upward overhead, for easier turning from side to side while sleeping. I also prefer nasal pillows - less leaky in general. And the only soft thing I want against my cheek while side sleeping is my own foam pillow. Take a look at the Aura by Aeiomed, and see how a truly comfortable interface is made. That is, if you're able to get in line behind the message board posters who are eager to try the amazing Aura.

Better yet, Respironics, you might want to try offering the Aura's designer a fortune to try to get him over on your team. It looks like you need a designer like that.

P.S. I do love your Remstar Auto with C-flex.

imacpappro

Post by imacpappro » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:00 pm

Where is the exhalation vent?

JudyAnn

Post by JudyAnn » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:06 pm

From the picture that Ted posted, it looks like its in the bottom of the nasal piece.

Judy

imacpappro

Post by imacpappro » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:19 pm

Judy,

Yeah, I saw that. Kind of looks like some little holes. Maybe like the Swift? I just wanted to know for sure. Lots of people have concerns about the direction the vent points. I guess that should have been my real question. Which way does the air blow out the exhalation vent? Up towards the top of the users head, down the direction of the 2 hoses, or straight out on my wife if I roll over?

Thanks Judy, I shouldn't be so vague.

ICP

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:24 pm

ICP,

When are the questions going to be forwarded to Respironics?
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

JudyAnn

Post by JudyAnn » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:25 pm

Hey, no problem. I had to go back and look myself as I was getting that mask and the other one mixed up.

Have you read the review of that other mask(I forgot the name of it) that Rested Gal and Wader bought? They are raving about it and the air vent holes go straight up so when you are lying down, they would hit the head board or the wall if you didn't have a head board.

Judy

JudyAnn

Post by JudyAnn » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:27 pm

Oh I have it....Aura by Aeiomed.

Judy

johnnygoodman

Post by johnnygoodman » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:54 pm

Howdy,

Right now, Respironics does not have a firm release date for the Comfort Curve. In the past I've given firm interview dates that have slid along with the release of a product. I do not like doing this to people who have taken the time to involve themselves with our interview process. When I give a date, I want it to mean THAT day.

We hope to time the interview with the release of this product. We have taken steps to be proactive and very early in the hopes that this will occur. However, sometimes products come out when excepted and sometimes they slide a Quarter or even two! We are hoping that Respironics bucks the trend, but in either case, we are positioning ourselves to have the interview ready for the products release (or earlier if possible!).

This means that we hope to run this call for questions until the end of the week. We will then work with Respironics to get the interview through their people as quickly as possible.

I wish I had a better answer but the one I can offer is: I'll do my best!

Johnny

Janelle

Post by Janelle » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:01 pm

Seems to me, that if designers/manufacturers really want our input on a product they should ask our opinions and questions BEFORE it is released. In that way they might be able to prevent a major design flaw from being produced or be able to correct or change something they hadn't considered.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:05 am

Janelle,

Wouldn't it be better to ask a constructive question like "what is your process for getting patient feedback before a release"? Perhaps the Mfg's do ask people what they think in large numbers, they just didnt ask US.

I'm not trying to "bash" you or be mean, I just think that cpaptalk is on a limb and we've got to be supportive!

Janelle

Post by Janelle » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:22 pm

Guest, yes, that might be a better way to put it, but on the other hand, they are now, from what I understand, asking for questions, right? Have questions not been asked before by DMEs, RTs, online suppliers?

I'll bite: "What is your process for testing a new product? How long do you test and on what numbers of actual people? Do you make very many modifications after this initial testing, and on the average how many more changes did you make to this model before its release?"

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:42 pm

I thought all these product interviews have been cpaptalk's idea, originating from cpaptalk - getting the manufacturers to agree to an interview. The mfgr's are usually glad to do that so they can tout their latest and greatest. I didn't take it as Respironics ever having contacted cpaptalk to get our opinion on anything at all. It's just another interview about a new product about to be released....not a request from the manufacturer for our questions at all - just an infomercial of sorts.

The most interesting part of such interviews, to me, is to see how adeptly or not the manufacturer's spokeperson dances around questions about "how did you test this before release?" Otherwise, their answers are usually just the same kind of specs and P.R. info that one can read in product descriptions later.

I really doubt that a mask company would want any of us testing their masks during the development phase. They might have to go back to the drawing board again and again... and waste an awful lot of nice silicone.

Janelle

Post by Janelle » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:35 am

From what I've seen on previous such interviews, it does, indeed seem like there is a lot of dancing around the questions, and just a rehash of the promos, nothng we can't get from the manufacturer's website. Too bad, since that can make a determining factor in whether we might buy their product or not.

Does make you wonder exaactly HOW they test products though, doesn't it. Here in Austin, we have one or two medical testing centers. On any weekend you can see ads in the paper for Men and Women 45=75, non-smoking, etc. etc. to be paid so much for participating in a test for XYZ product for whatever. Haven't seen anything for Sleep Apnea patients, however. But then, maybe they only use testing centers where they are located, if there are any.

I am 2 listless

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:57 am

Is there an oxygen port available at the mask or will it require an additional connector?

Forget the grey, black and white - give us another option - at least one - like blue. Why is the headgear always black? Industrial velcro is always black - could you at least dye it? It is not like we all have dirty hair and need a black piece of velcro to keep it from showing. You could at least offer optional headgear in different colors. How about headgear that does not always go over the top of the head. But I will give you points for simple headgear and for developing something that can be worn with glasses and that is not nasal pillows.

Will it be sized for women? I am tired of the "standard" size being so large it hangs over my mouth.

Are the side cushions going to be warm and soft to the touch?

Since I really cannot tolerate nasal pillows, I would definitely try this one - but I will also let you hear about it if it turns out to be uncomfortable!!!!!!!!!!
I will PRESUME it is compatible with the Remstar Auto with C-Flex!