Two noob questions that I should know the answers to

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
old dude

Two noob questions that I should know the answers to

Post by old dude » Thu May 02, 2019 4:56 pm

But don't, since I've coasted along fine for the last few years thinking everything was just fine. But since a recent move and new bed, it's like I'm starting all over again, so here goes:

1. Which of the three pressure metrics do you pay the most attention to, and why? I'm talking about max pressure, 95% pressure and median pressure. Maybe it depends on what you're going to use the pressure to inform you about?

2. In SH there is what appears to be an hourly AHI chart. If your overall AHI for the entire night is acceptable (say under 2.0), how much do you worry about bursts through the night where it goes much higher, say 10-15 for various periods?

Thanks for opinions.

palerider

Re: Two noob questions that I should know the answers to

Post by palerider » Thu May 02, 2019 5:13 pm

old dude wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:56 pm
But don't, since I've coasted along fine for the last few years thinking everything was just fine. But since a recent move and new bed, it's like I'm starting all over again, so here goes:

1. Which of the three pressure metrics do you pay the most attention to, and why? I'm talking about max pressure, 95% pressure and median pressure. Maybe it depends on what you're going to use the pressure to inform you about?
None of them. they're all just curiosity statistics. What matters is the way the pressure curve behaves during the night.
old dude wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:56 pm
2. In SH there is what appears to be an hourly AHI chart. If your overall AHI for the entire night is acceptable (say under 2.0), how much do you worry about bursts through the night where it goes much higher, say 10-15 for various periods?
As far as I'm concerned, the AHI chart is useless. All it's good for is saying "oh, look, you had several events around this time", which you can easily see just by glancing at the flags chart.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Fri May 03, 2019 1:56 am

I agree with palerider.

I never look at those pressure numbers. I look at the pressure graph. I like to see a graph that is mostly boring, with maybe a few spikes. But not constantly up and down. If it goes up and down a lot, then I raise the minimum until the graph looks fairly boring. The minimum pressure should be high enough to prevent most events, and it should only need to go up as your need goes up, such as sleeping on your back and/or REM sleep.

The ahi per hour doesn't help either. There are two many goals with ahi. Low for the night, and not too many clusters. It also helps to know if the events are long and get rid of those, but that doesn't show up in the numbers.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri May 03, 2019 2:15 am

zoocrewphoto wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:56 am
I agree with palerider.

I never look at those pressure numbers. I look at the pressure graph. I like to see a graph that is mostly boring, with maybe a few spikes. But not constantly up and down. If it goes up and down a lot, then I raise the minimum until the graph looks fairly boring. The minimum pressure should be high enough to prevent most events, and it should only need to go up as your need goes up, such as sleeping on your back and/or REM sleep.
that's what I look for too.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

old dude

Post by old dude » Fri May 03, 2019 5:58 am

zoocrewphoto wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:56 am
I agree with palerider.

The ahi per hour doesn't help either. There are two many goals with ahi. Low for the night, and not too many clusters. It also helps to know if the events are long and get rid of those, but that doesn't show up in the numbers.
Is there any way to reliably identify REM sleep from a SH chart? I've always considered a higher pressure plateau that occurs at appx. 90 minutes after sleep onset to be REM, but I could be reaching here.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri May 03, 2019 6:19 am

No real accurate way to identify REM with the data available from the machine.

But...your 90 minute idea..that's fairly commonplace. First REM is normally around 90 minutes after sleep onset.
If you google "sleep stages" and then look at some nice normal hypnograms then you can get and idea when REM usually happens (assuming we don't have major wake ups in the middle to mess with the cycles) and get a fairly decent idea when you are having REM.
The first is typically about 90 minutes after sleep onset is not very prolonged...the rest of them start coming on more frequently and lasting longer as the night progresses.
The greatest amount of REM occurs in those wee hours of the morning.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Fri May 03, 2019 6:36 am

old dude wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:58 am
Is there any way to reliably identify REM sleep from a SH chart? I've always considered a higher pressure plateau that occurs at appx. 90 minutes after sleep onset to be REM, but I could be reaching here.
viewtopic.php?t=175444&p=1299718#p1299718
Jay Aitchsee wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:48 pm
Have a look at this: viewtopic/t158359/Tracking-sleep-stages.html#p1218669 A comparison to SleepyHead and a ResMed S+ sleep tracker, reproduced below.

Generally, one might expect fluctuations in Respirartory Rate during REM. In the comparison graphics below, one can see that REM periods identified by the S+ Tracker roughly correspond to periods of increased fluctuations in Respiratory Rate (Which could also represent awake periods).

The example below shows a very strong correlation between what the S+ tracker thinks is REM and more erratic Respiration Rate, where S+ sleep stages are represented by: Red=Wake, Gold=REM, Blue=Deep, and Green=Light
splus.JPG

As stated, the only way to know for sure what sleep stage one is in is through lab analysis, although many OTC trackers claim to be able to accurately report them.
My "pressure plateaus" roughly correspond to these periods of more erratic respiration rates as well.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Fri May 03, 2019 10:26 am

old dude wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:58 am
So below I've added the pressure graphic to the above example. I think it shows a very strong correlation between increased pressure and what the S+ has identified as REM (gold bars)
spluspssr.JPG