OT: Allergies

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
babydinosnoreless

OT: Allergies

Post by babydinosnoreless » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:19 pm

I know many of us here suffer from allergies. Its that time of year again. So does anyone have any tips? Suggestions ?

My doc told me to mix up the meds. Take Allegra and Zyrtec or Benadryl and Claritin He said sometimes combinations help when one just isn't cutting it. I was absolutely floored when i took my dog in for allergies and I got told the same thing from my vet. He wanted me to switch it up and give my dog a combo of Benadryl and Zyrtec.

Does this sound weird to any of you, it seems like a whole lot of meds.

metallikat36

Re: OT: Allergies

Post by metallikat36 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:21 pm

I was just about to post about allergies too. My question is if there is a special CPAP filter for allergies?

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:22 pm

Yes. The hypoallergenic filter. I will not go to bed without one. 8)
Luckily, this item is made for our machines.

Barbee

Post by Barbee » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:55 pm

babydinosnoreless wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:19 pm
I know many of us here suffer from allergies. Its that time of year again. So does anyone have any tips? Suggestions ?

My doc told me to mix up the meds. Take Allegra and Zyrtec or Benadryl and Claritin He said sometimes combinations help when one just isn't cutting it. I was absolutely floored when i took my dog in for allergies and I got told the same thing from my vet. He wanted me to switch it up and give my dog a combo of Benadryl and Zyrtec.

Does this sound weird to any of you, it seems like a whole lot of meds.
I have been switching around for years. I will take Zyrtec for a few days, then Claritin for a few days, then Allegra, etc. I have never taken 2 different OTC allergy pills daily though. I do take Montelukast daily plus an OTC so similar thing now that I think about it? Then I use Flonase daily.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:18 pm

One antihistamine I use is still told by Walmart as ChlorTabs. The brand name used to be Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine maleate). That is another option to try.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:34 pm

prodigyplace wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:18 pm
One antihistamine I use is still told by Walmart as ChlorTabs. The brand name used to be Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine maleate). That is another option to try.
[/quote

Prodigyplace, I too take the same med for my allergies and have been taking it for over 50 years :wink: . It works, so why change!
Actually my son takes it too and we get it usually at Costco...….. its the cheapest place that I have found.
Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:42 pm

metallikat36 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:21 pm
I was just about to post about allergies too. My question is if there is a special CPAP filter for allergies?
I go one step further than just the hypoallergenic filters, I put an anti-bacterial filter in the hose. not for any bacteria, but to catch just that much more of any pollen and other allergens.

When I'm having an allergy attack, I breathe *better* with the cpap.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

metallikat36

Post by metallikat36 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:55 pm

palerider wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:42 pm
I go one step further than just the hypoallergenic filters, I put an anti-bacterial filter in the hose. not for any bacteria, but to catch just that much more of any pollen and other allergens.
Can you say more about that? Do you have a hypoallergenic filter on the designated slot AND an antibacterial filter in addition stuffed into a tube? Or do you just have an AB filter in the designated spot, and these by themselves are more effective at eliminating allergens than HA filters?

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:02 pm

metallikat36 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:55 pm
palerider wrote:
Can you say more about that? Do you have a hypoallergenic filter on the designated slot AND an antibacterial filter in addition stuffed into a tube? Or do you just have an AB filter in the designated spot, and these by themselves are more effective at eliminating allergens than HA filters?
I use both, the hypoallergenic filter, and the AB filter. The AB filter turns dark over time, so it's picking up stuff that's getting by the HA filter.

They're not too expensive if you pick them up on ebay or amazon.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:47 pm

palerider wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:02 pm
metallikat36 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:55 pm
palerider wrote:
I use both, the hypoallergenic filter, and the AB filter. The AB filter turns dark over time, so it's picking up stuff that's getting by the HA filter.

They're not too expensive if you pick them up on ebay or amazon.
I too am confused. You put it in the hose how ?

metallikat36

Post by metallikat36 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:52 pm

I just ordered this:
https://www.amazon.com/Special-Pack-10- ... way&sr=8-4
I think he means the filter is placed in-line with the tubing. It this whole plastic piece, and not just a small rectangle like the regular filter.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:56 pm

metallikat36 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:52 pm
I just ordered this:
I think he means the filter is placed in-line with the tubing. It this whole plastic piece, and not just a small rectangle like the regular filter.
Thanks! Do you know if it will work with the climate line hoses ?

metallikat36

Post by metallikat36 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:58 pm

I'm counting on it, lol!

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:08 am

babydinosnoreless wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:56 pm
metallikat36 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:52 pm
I just ordered this:
Thanks! Do you know if it will work with the climate line hoses ?
It won't go between the machine and the climateline hose, but it'll go between the hose and the mask. get a short extension if need be.

Since I don't use the climateline hose, I've got the filter stuck on the back of my machine.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:11 am

Thanks. I will have to order one tomorrow.