Stomach Slepers - What Full Face Mask do you use?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Cloudship

Stomach Slepers - What Full Face Mask do you use?

Post by Cloudship » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:21 am

I have just started using CPAP. I am a stomach sleeper - head tilted towards the side (maybe a 45 degree angle?) overhanging the side of the pillow.

I am using the Dreamwear Full Face mask. I love the lightness of it and most importantly, how the hose comes off the top of the head. As constant turner, it keeps me from getting tangled up. But the nasal portion just lies below the nose, which means it does not make a good seal all the time. And, the mask itself is too narrow. I have tried moving up a size, but it seems the only difference is the size of the vent hols for the nose, not the mask itself.

I was curious for those stomach sleepers who use a full face mask, which mask do you use?

freetimecreations

Re: Stomach Slepers - What Mask do you use?

Post by freetimecreations » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:57 pm

ResMed F20. Either the AirTouch or AIrFit. Now that it comes with diffused air elbow, Quiet Air, there is not much sound when face is buried in pillow. Also, downsizing the mask cushion helped me with it being too bulky but sometimes leaks air at corners of mouth.

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:02 pm

F&P Simplus FFM works the best for me. Simple to use headgear, no leaks and is rather quiet especially for an older mask. Plus it's cheaper than pretty much every other FFM.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

tyrone747

Post by tyrone747 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:24 pm

Dreamwear nasal cushion mask mostly, with a CPAP pillow.

McSleepy

Post by McSleepy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:31 pm

Cloudship wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:21 am
I have just started using CPAP. I am a stomach sleeper - head tilted towards the side (maybe a 45 degree angle?) overhanging the side of the pillow.

I am using the Dreamwear Full Face mask. I love the lightness of it and most importantly, how the hose comes off the top of the head. As constant turner, it keeps me from getting tangled up. But the nasal portion just lies below the nose, which means it does not make a good seal all the time. And, the mask itself is too narrow. I have tried moving up a size, but it seems the only difference is the size of the vent hols for the nose, not the mask itself.

I was curious for those stomach sleepers who use a full face mask, which mask do you use?
Since you didn't specify that it has to be a FFM, I'll share my experience. I sleep truly face down, using two down pillows to form a "bed" for my head, and the only mask you could use in that position that I have found so far is a heavily modified Puritan Bennett Breeze . One of the main concerns with face-down sleeping is the exhaust port blockage. I don't know how you - or any of the other posters with their FFM - deal with that currently, but I had to add additional tubing, routed up the intake hose, to take the exhaust air safely out and above my head, avoiding any chance of blockage. The other modifications are partly because of my high pressures, but I have an additional fortified headgear to keep the mask in place. This and the fact that this mask is discontinued probably makes it a non-option for you, but I thought I'd mention it. I also just sourced (it was not easy!) a nasal-prong mask but haven't had the time to modify it, so I don't yet have objective feedback on it.

McSleepy

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto; Puritan-Bennett Breeze nasal pillow mask; healthy, active, middle-aged man; tall, athletic build; stomach sleeper; on CPAP since 2003; lives @ 5000 ft; surgically-corrected deviated septum and turbinates; regular nasal washes

ChicagoGranny

Re: Stomach Slepers - What Full Face Mask do you use?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:36 pm

Cloudship wrote:
I am a stomach sleeper
Make sure to read carefully and use the best form for stomach sleeping - Falcon Position for Stomach Sleeping with CPAP - http://www.uarsrelief.com/sleeppositions.html

If you use the correct form, most FFMs will work.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:04 pm

McSleepy wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:31 pm
Cloudship wrote:

One of the main concerns with face-down sleeping is the exhaust port blockage. I don't know how you - or any of the other posters with their FFM -
The dreamwear has a vent at the top as well as the vents on each side of the mask.

ChicagoGranny

Re: Stomach Slepers - What Full Face Mask do you use?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:12 pm

McSleepy wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:31 pm
I sleep truly face down
You've gotten on the wrong track --------->

Cloudship wrote:
I am a stomach sleeper - head tilted towards the side (maybe a 45 degree angle?) overhanging the side of the pillow.