Forced to use Crapria (Apria)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DougVK

Forced to use Crapria (Apria)

Post by DougVK » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:53 pm

I don't want to get into the fine details, but basically with my insurance I am forced to use Crapia (Apria). Not only that but I must go through my doctor every time I order supplies. Yes, I can't even go through Apria directly to order. The only saving grace is I have zero copay. I have an HMO.

It didn't use to be like this, my medical group use to do a 1 year authorization for supplies at a local DME company, where I could reorder my own supplies and pick it up locally. Now they do this crap that requires them to order it themselves directly from Apria. To get supplies I message my doctors office asking for supplies, they then order it directly from Apria, and then Apria sends a courier to my house to deliver it. Usually it takes 3-5 business days. I called the insurance company to see if I had any alternative and was told no, I need to follow the procedure of the Medical Group or their will be no coverage. I miss being able to pick up my supplies locally.

Anyone else forced to use Apria? Also how is Apria convincing all of these companies to use them exclusively, are they offering deep discounts?

I am beginning to wonder if technically my DME is my medical group and Apria who they contract with to get supplies sent.

Stom

Re: Forced to use Crapria (Apria)

Post by Stom » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:53 pm

DougVK wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:53 pm
Anyone else forced to use Apria? Also how is Apria convincing all of these companies to use them exclusively, are they offering deep discounts?

I am beginning to wonder if technically my DME is my medical group and Apria who they contract with to get supplies sent.
For Kaiser, that is exactly the case. Kaiser is the DME and Aprea handles the logistics. They still suck, but at least the suck doesn't suck directly out of your wallet.
Official Foe™ on @Palerider's public list of foes. ;-)

Rules to live by: Be wary of anyone boasting their behavior is like that of a fictional sociopath.

DougVK

Post by DougVK » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:00 am

Stom wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:53 pm
DougVK wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:53 pm

For Kaiser, that is exactly the case. Kaiser is the DME and Aprea handles the logistics. They still suck, but at least the suck doesn't suck directly out of your wallet.
This may also explain why Apria has never submitted any claims to my insurance, because they are paid by my Medical Group, who is technically the DME.

I suspect the Medical Group is getting a nice deal from Apria. They are probably thinking they are savings tons of money compared to the old way of doing it.

Stom

Post by Stom » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:19 am

DougVK wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:00 am
I suspect the Medical Group is getting a nice deal from Apria. They are probably thinking they are savings tons of money compared to the old way of doing it.
Too bad US healthcare is so amazingly dysfunctional, even over the simplest things like routine medical supplies.

Rules to live by: Be wary of anyone boasting their behavior is like that of a fictional sociopath.

DougVK

Post by DougVK » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:35 am

Stom wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:19 am
DougVK wrote:
Too bad US healthcare is so amazingly dysfunctional, even over the simplest things like routine medical supplies.
I am 99% sure the most important thing for these companies when it comes to setting up a contract isn't quality of service, it is cost. What is the cheapest option for us. That is what the U.S healthcare is all about putting profit first.

Stom

Post by Stom » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:42 am

DougVK wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:35 am
I am 99% sure the most important thing for these companies when it comes to setting up a contract isn't quality of service, it is cost. What is the cheapest option for us. That is what the U.S healthcare is all about putting profit first.
If only they could get rid of having to treat *patients* and just get on with the business of collecting money from people they would be so much happier. Stupid patients wanting medical treatment from their medical insurance, and hassle free supplies from their medical equipment supplier... :-/

/s

the baker

Post by the baker » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:32 am

This is problem in this country, decades ago heath insurance companies operated sort of like not for profits...And we're answerable to their policy holders. (Us) but now it's big business an industry....they answer to shareholders who want to see profits increase every quarter...share prices rise and dividend increases.....The policy holders are way down the list of concerns

Additional Comments: AHI 11- diagnosed hypopnea. Pressure 10.

DougVK

Post by DougVK » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:51 am

I would be very curious what my Medical Group is paying for the supplies. Since it isn't going directly through my insurance, their are no claims from Apria.

I suspect the amount they pay is supposed substantially lower than what I would pay if I went to Apria Direct and paid out of pocket.

I would be real interested in what the agreement between my medical group, insurance, and Apria is

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:34 am

Get as much as you can-as soon as you can.
Lather, rinse, repeat.
Stock up.
Then you can take a vacation, letting them slowly twist in the wind.
It would be cool if you could coordinate with others in your group--
So the golden geese fly away all at once.

DougVK

Post by DougVK » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:40 am

I do wonder if Apria knows how terrible people think they are. I wonder if they even care.

Stom

Post by Stom » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:57 am

DougVK wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:40 am
I do wonder if Apria knows how terrible people think they are. I wonder if they even care.
Well, given that patients aren't their customers, insurance companies are, I'm thinking they care about as much as prisons care if the inmates like the food :-/

seattlepap

Post by seattlepap » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:54 am

Stom wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:19 am
DougVK wrote:
Blame the voters for it. It's not the clinician's fault.

bombayone

Post by bombayone » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:58 am

What is the problem? Your are getting free supplies in 3 to 5 days. That is great coverage and service.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:01 am

bombayone wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:58 am
What is the problem? Your are getting free supplies in 3 to 5 days. That is great coverage and service.
Providing you get the RIGHT supplies, that is.
Remember, Crapria has a rep for shipping the WRONG STUFF.

DougVK

Post by DougVK » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:47 pm

Yep I had them send me the wrong supplies the first time. They didn't even bother to verify what mask and cpap machine I had.