its all new to me, and looking for help!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
53now

Post by 53now » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:57 pm

Here's my 5 cents worth of information..............This stuff can be pretty overhelming at first. Take it one "night" at a time ...try not to let it get you any further down than you are !
With respect to Ambien......This is a wonderful/terrible drug.
Wonderful because it helped me sleep while I had this Jet Engine strapped to my face.
Terrible because Ambien produces what I call a "False Sleep". Normally Doctors will only prescribe it for about 1-2 weeks. I had to wean myself off of Ambien because I got hooked on it. Shuuuuu Weeeeee what a bad situation. Some will tell you Ambien is non-habit forming. Not true !!
Trust me here............Finally, use the Ambien as a tool to help you adjust to Cpap treatment.....Please don't use it because you can't sleep.
Go to Google and do a search on this drug before you use it. It's great , but be careful.
Give yourself some time and you will be fine. It took me several months to "get it together" but it worked for me !!
Hang in there...........it's worth the trouble.
Rich

littlebaddow

Post by littlebaddow » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:05 pm

[quote="battlin_blazes"] can you tell me the difference in the apap and cpap im assuming apap is adjustable pressure and cpap is constant pressure? so to really confuse myself then what is the bipap?[quote]

Correct so far battlin!
1) cpap is constant pressure, all the time whether breathing in or out
2) apap is variable pressure, adjusts automatically to what it thinks you need at any given time, then the same pressure as you breathe out
3) for both of the above, respironics machines (brand name remstar) have a feature called c-flex, which reduces the pressure as you breathe out
4) bipap is constant pressure as you breathe in, and then a different, lower but constant pressure when you breathe out

Keep asking, all will become clear in time

hopeful

I don't know if this helps you...

Post by hopeful » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:32 am

But I believe "irritability" is one of the definitive symptoms of sleep apnea, used by doctors to help diagnose the disease.

My pulmonary sleep doctor told me, with my severe sleep apnea, that my experience was the equivalent of having someone shake me awake 99 times per hour (!)

If you are like me, it is no wonder we are a little testy.

Remorse (not beating up on yourself) can be helpful to avoid doing it again, but also -- be kind to yourself.
Best wishes and good dreams...

Hopeful