Barely falling asleep... massive gaspppp

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CPAPjunkie

Barely falling asleep... massive gaspppp

Post by CPAPjunkie » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:54 pm

Hey all... been a long 5 years’ish since been here.. forgot old ID etc etc...

So interesting things been happening lately I thought I would share. First a little history: diagnosed long ago with 70 AHI. I am not new to CPAP and been wearing resmed liberty hybrid mask for a looooong time and very experienced with it managing to wear it during full length of sleep (6-9 hrs) and get about .5-3 AHI a night with good sealing using resmed airsense 10. Pressure is set to 9.

About 3 months ago, I felt I needed a little boost, so I bumped pressure to 9.2... actually felt good and left it. About a month ago, I woke up gasping a couple times when first falling asleep with 40 AHI in 20 mins... didn’t think to much of it... breathing fine with mask, so I rolled with that punch and went back to sleep, no issues. Continued no issues for a while, then two night ago, mask on for about 5-10 mins, normal breathing, normal sleep position and as about to fall asleep, wake up gasping... did this a few times... removed mask, 63 AHI in 33 mins. Last night, same thing, breathing fine no issue for few mins, fall asleep ... boom, huge gasp sitting up in bed,,, after gasp breathing fine. Repeat... I’m like what the...I bumped pressure down to prescription 9... repeat... every time it is just as body falling asleep. Turned machine off, 44 AHI in 26 mins...

I’m can’t keep doing this, so I replaced all hardware: new hose and a completely brand new hose, mask, and headgear... 100% brand new from the hose coming out of the machine to my head. I have never used a ramp setting, but went on ahead and set ramp up for 5 mins. After that, seemed to fall asleep after that and uneventful for 6.5 hours.

Admittedly, the old little elbow with the flapper valve that connect the hose to mask is probably 1.5 years old. The flapper seems to move ok... but that’s the only thing I can think of.. just weird! Also, I know the hose was not getting pinched anything like that?

Not really asking anything, but rather just sharing a weird experience. feel free to to comment or give advice..