Having a Cold & Sleep Anxiety - CPAP Not Easy Sometimes

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JCWarrior

Having a Cold & Sleep Anxiety - CPAP Not Easy Sometimes

Post by JCWarrior » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:25 am

I've been using CPAP for almost 4 years. During that time there have only been 3 nights that I didn't use CPAP.

One was during a power outage last summer. The other 2 times have been within the last 4 weeks and were primarily because I'm experiencing insomnia (sleep anxiety).

I don't know why, but for the last 10 years or so I've experienced anxiety maybe every 2-3 years (sometimes longer between) that seems to manifest itself as a sleeping disorder. These "events" have always happened during times of high stress (parent passing, job stress, etc) but just recently it happened when I felt like there was really nothing to be stressed about.

However, I was putting pressure on myself to stick with a high intensity 5 week - 6 days per week workout program and I'm pretty sure that triggered it.

Anyway, when this happens I just can't relax and go to sleep. Then I get anxious about sleep and it causes me to be unable to relax and fall asleep. Classic insomnia, I know.

Over the years I've used low doses of Clonazepam, for short periods of time, at bedtime to help get me back to normal. Then I stop using it and all is well for years.

I'm sure there's some underlying "general anxiety" as I've somewhat developed some claustrophobia, especially when lying down. It's probably all related and I think it may even be a result of undiagnosed sleep apnea for many years. I've had CBT to help with this in the past. It has helped but it gets tiring nonetheless.

Wearing a CPAP (Nasal Pillows) sometimes just adds to this anxiety.

Now I have a cold and can't breathe very well. Usually, this isn't an issue. But for some reason, I'm having a hard time dealing with the cold symptoms and the underlying anxiety and putting my mask on and trying to relax is a real challenge.

Curious if:

1) Have any regular CPAP users gone without your CPAP for a short time because of cold symptoms?
2) Do you ever switch between nasal pillows and a mask? (Never used a mask before - wondering if it might help so I can breathe through my mouth when my nose is stuffed)
3) Anybody on here with any anxiety related sleep disorders? If so, what have you found helps?

Julie

Re: Having a Cold & Sleep Anxiety - CPAP Not Easy Sometimes

Post by Julie » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:32 am

A lot of people find a FFM works better with a cold because they can at least mouth breathe without losing Cpap air.

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:01 am

JCWarrior wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:25 am

However, I was putting pressure on myself to stick with a high intensity 5 week - 6 days per week workout program and I'm pretty sure that triggered it.
I've found that high intensity work outs done too often are pretty bad for my sleep. I'm trying to do less vigorous exercise but I am a bit addicted to the "high" so I simply figure that on those days that I do fairly intense running and sprints my sleep is going to suffer. Less vigorous exercise (swimming, walking) does not have the same effect on my sleep. A balance seems to be in order. Easier said than done. :D

If you haven't already done so, why not try modifying your current work out program to something that is less intense and and see if it helps?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:46 am

To answer your questions.

1....No I have never done without cpap because of a cold or any sort of upper respiratory infection.

2....No...haven't had the need to go to a full face mask because I have always been able to get some air moving through my nose at the beginning of the night either with meds to reduce congestion or saline spray or Flonase or a little bit of Afrin as a last resort and by morning with the nasal pillows and lots of humidity I am breathing better than when I went to sleep.
Over 9 years on cpap...all with nasal pillow masks and my fair share of colds during that time and never had to use a FFM because of nasal congestion issues.
Sleep is crappy because of the cold though...would have been crappy even if I didn't need cpap. When you are ill you just sleep crappy and you would have crappy sleep even if you didn't have OSA and need cpap. It just comes with being ill.

3....sorry...no experience in that regard. Some insomnia (sleep maintenance) issues but not related to anxiety. Instead related to other health issues.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:48 am

Now the insomnia issues....the mind is a powerful drug and it often doesn't do us any favors in the anxiety department which of course will feed the insomnia monster cold symptoms or not.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:05 am

JCWarrior wrote:
I've been using CPAP for almost 4 years. During that time there have only been 3 nights that I didn't use CPAP.

One was during a power outage last summer. The other 2 times have been within the last 4 weeks and were primarily because I'm experiencing insomnia (sleep anxiety).

I don't know why, but for the last 10 years or so I've experienced anxiety maybe every 2-3 years (sometimes longer between) that seems to manifest itself as a sleeping disorder. These "events" have always happened during times of high stress (parent passing, job stress, etc) but just recently it happened when I felt like there was really nothing to be stressed about.

Anyway, when this happens I just can't relax and go to sleep. Then I get anxious about sleep and it causes me to be unable to relax and fall asleep. Classic insomnia, I know.

Over the years I've used low doses of Clonazepam, for short periods of time, at bedtime to help get me back to normal. Then I stop using it and all is well for years.

I'm sure there's some underlying "general anxiety" as I've somewhat developed some claustrophobia, especially when lying down. It's probably all related and I think it may even be a result of undiagnosed sleep apnea for many years. I've had CBT to help with this in the past. It has helped but it gets tiring nonetheless.

Wearing a CPAP (Nasal Pillows) sometimes just adds to this anxiety.

Now I have a cold and can't breathe very well. Usually, this isn't an issue. But for some reason, I'm having a hard time dealing with the cold symptoms and the underlying anxiety and putting my mask on and trying to relax is a real challenge.

Curious if:

1) Have any regular CPAP users gone without your CPAP for a short time because of cold symptoms?
2) Do you ever switch between nasal pillows and a mask? (Never used a mask before - wondering if it might help so I can breathe through my mouth when my nose is stuffed)
3) Anybody on here with any anxiety related sleep disorders? If so, what have you found helps?
Personally I think my Apnea is much worse if I have a cold or allergies as I wake up feeling like crap if I'm off the CPAP with them, So I would never not use a mask in such circumstances. I do up the pressure during a cold so I can breathe easier. ( I also use nasal pillows. )
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:10 pm

Going without my cpap: now that makes me anxious!

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:25 pm

I keep a FFmask available for when a cold makes breathing through the nasal mask unworkable.

In 13 years, I've only needed it a few times (maybe 3) but it is a comfort knowing that I always have that option.

As far as colds, flu, or any other "bug", I've found that I get them much less frequently, and with a much lower severity and duration since I began xPAP in 2005. (I used to get 3 or 4 colds per year, now I get one or none).

Would I ever skip a night? Nupe, not for anything. Why make a cold worse, or last longer?

Good luck with that anxiety. I recall having a flu bug several years back, and for a while it made me feel somewhat "icky", especially at bedtime. I found that loosening the mask a bit seemed to be a big help. And, as bad as I felt, I'm certain that the APAP made my bug less intense and go away quicker.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:43 pm

I have a FF mask for colds. When I'm congested no air is getting through the nose and I can't take decongestants or antihistamines--though saline nasal spray sometimes helps just enough to get masked up and that can often keep my nose clear except that one or two awful nights of a cold. When that happens I just hold the mask up to my face even if I don't use the headgear--the air is very comforting to me now. Yes, the mask WILL fall off that way as soon as I fall asleep and relax, but it's better than nothing.

Like Captain Midnight, I almost NEVER get colds anymore. That's huge--I used to get 6 -10 per year, most of them turned into asthmatic bronchitis. Now I get one every few years! I credit CPAP and a change in diet for that.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:38 pm

JCWarrior wrote:
  1. Calling me "regular" may be stretching it, but I haven't *never* gone without the cpap in 9 years, there's simply no excuse.
  2. The only time I went back to a FFM was when I had a NG tube up my nose. I've had colds, and stuffy nose, but I do what's necessary to breathe through my nose... (sudafed and/or generic Afrin).
  3. Probably, but I can't speak to that.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:31 am

Janknitz wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:43 pm
I have a FF mask for colds. When I'm congested no air is getting through the nose and I can't take decongestants or antihistamines--though saline nasal spray sometimes helps just enough to get masked up and that can often keep my nose clear except that one or two awful nights of a cold. When that happens I just hold the mask up to my face even if I don't use the headgear--the air is very comforting to me now. Yes, the mask WILL fall off that way as soon as I fall asleep and relax, but it's better than nothing.

Like Captain Midnight, I almost NEVER get colds anymore. That's huge--I used to get 6 -10 per year, most of them turned into asthmatic bronchitis. Now I get one every few years! I credit CPAP and a change in diet for that.
That's true for me too. I get sick a lot less. Still once or twice a year, but with a 7 and 10 year old that happens. but even the once or twice are a lot lighter and probably end quicker because of mask use. Before CPAP Every cold would last 1-3 weeks.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:03 pm

JCWarrior wrote:
high intensity 5 week - 6 days per week workout program
Most medical researchers say moderate exercise is best for overall health.
JCWarrior wrote:
Why not keep some 0.500 mg scored tablets for times like these? Break the tablet and take 0.250 mg about an hour before bedtime.

BTW, I would never go without CPAP. When I have a cold, CPAP is needed more than ever. In fact, I had a cold two weeks ago. It was very mild and only lasted two days. This is very different from the bad, lengthy colds I would have before CPAP.

Hoping your problems will pass soon!

Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:01 pm

A heated tube and lots of humidity helped me get through the tough times.
I use a regular tube now but if I have congestion I turn the humidity up to max for an hour.

I have nasal pillows and a nasal mask.
I prefer the pillows because its better for reading but the nasal mask is a little more comfortable and works better when I need more pressure.
For anxiety, aside from the all time number one remedy I like to think about comforting things.
For example: Christmas dinner with family including mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberries, plum pudding, coffee and a cigarette.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:31 pm

Jack Burton wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:01 pm
For example: Christmas dinner with family including mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberries, plum pudding, coffee and a cigarette.
No Asian?

Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:20 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:31 pm
No Asian?
Egg foo young is a whole other story. :)