System One Resistance Control

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
raisedfist

System One Resistance Control

Post by raisedfist » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:09 pm

This topic has come up a billion times. I am using a F&P Simplus FFM with my BiPAP AVAPS and was experiencing an odd sensation where if I increased the IPAP, the amount of hypopneas would INCREASE instead of decrease each night. I also noticed that on average the full prescribed pressure was not being delivered. Sometimes by a full 1 cmH2O or a bit more. I had to create a workaround solution for the loss in pressure by decreasing the rise time from 3 to 2 but that should not be necessary in reality since a rise time of 3 is not exactly a radical setting.

All PR FFMs use a X1 resistance setting. PR states for non-PR masks, to turn resistance control off (X0). Of course PR is not going to bother conducting research on or making recommendations for non-PR masks.

We know that system one resistance control has nothing to do with leaks. We have seen a graphic that shows it helps stabilize the actual pressure level at the mask, to prevent any gross under or overshoot of pressure. If you Google Image search “system one resistance control” the graphic will show in the results.

I tested some known settings where my AHI was normally around 5 – all due to hypopneas. I enabled X1 resistance control for my FFM and this morning my AHI was .57 – all hypopneas.
This could of course be a freak accident and coincidence.

I am going to test this new X1 setting theory for at least a several days to confirm, but I was honestly pretty surprised. The min pressure at the mask was a lot higher than normal, almost perfectly matching the prescribed pressure (the median pressure did match it exactly).

Note: I am using high constant pressures on BiPAP, so this change have way more of an effect in this case as opposed to using an APAP or other type of auto-adjusting machine such as the VAuto.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12