Recirculation

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SMenasco

Recirculation

Post by SMenasco » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:41 pm

I use a Swift II nasal pillow mask. I wake up every couple of hours with extreme dry mouth. I caught myself almost falling asleep with air coming in my nose and recirculating out my mouth. I tried taping my mouth shut and it worked but was a real pain. I think the cause is the relaxation in the back of my throat because when I turn on my side, no recirculation. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can stop this? Thank you very much.

Goofproof

Re: Recirculation

Post by Goofproof » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:47 pm

Do the PAIN, or use a Full Face Mask! If done correctly life is a pain much of the time. We do what's needed to get thru it. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

SMenasco

Post by SMenasco » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:51 pm

I'm interested to know how a full face mask would help. I'd be happy to change to a full face if someone could explain to me how this might eliminate recirculation. I found an old thread about this, but no suggestions. I use an A10 auto normally running around 10.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:20 pm

A Full Face mask Covers the Nose and Mouth, the air can still come out in the mask, but the pressure will still keep inside your airway, maintaining the needed treatment to keep your airway open. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:57 pm

SMenasco wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:41 pm
I use a Swift II nasal pillow mask. I wake up every couple of hours with extreme dry mouth. I caught myself almost falling asleep with air coming in my nose and recirculating out my mouth. I tried taping my mouth shut and it worked but was a real pain. I think the cause is the relaxation in the back of my throat because when I turn on my side, no recirculation. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can stop this? Thank you very much.
if i may, i have two suggestions. one is,instead of taping, try this-

viewtopic/p1089718/viewtopic.php?f=1&t= ... s#p1086296

i don't know that it will make a difference for you vs taping, but it may be worth a try.

second, for the dry mouth, you may want to try xylimelts. this is a lozenge that you put between teeth and gums. it promotes saliva throughout the night. you should be able to find these in your local drugstore or grocery store. in the oral health health or toothpaste section.

i use both of these methods plus a cervical collar, which helps keep my big yap closed.

hope that you find what works for you!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:33 am

A full face mask allows you to keep your mouth open (breath thru your mouth) without affecting your therapy. I sleep with my mouth open mostly all night. When using a nasal or pillow mask, you must train your mouth to stay closed all night. If you don't, you will lose the effect of therapy. If you have "dry mouth" it will indicate that you have been mouth breathing.

Sheriff

SMenasco

Post by SMenasco » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:40 pm

I'm searching for something that solves my problem, which is recirculation and dry mouth. It seem to me that a full face mask would insure therapy but would even exacerbate dry mouth.

Thank you all for your contributions.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:47 pm

Chin-up strips or a foam cervical collar may let you continue with the pillows.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:56 pm

SMenasco wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:40 pm
I'm searching for something that solves my problem, which is recirculation and dry mouth. It seem to me that a full face mask would insure therapy but would even exacerbate dry mouth.

Thank you all for your contributions.
To some degree yes, but not a much as leaving the Pie Hole open and leaking freely, at least your treatment would be useful. I use a cup of ice water and a straw to rehydrate, a Hershey Kiss or two, gets the juices flowing too. Jim

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:28 pm

SMenasco wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:51 pm
I'm interested to know how a full face mask would help. I'd be happy to change to a full face if someone could explain to me how this might eliminate recirculation. I found an old thread about this, but no suggestions. I use an A10 auto normally running around 10.
I can't really get one to seal well because of my face architecture, but scientifically a full face mask helps because it equalizes the pressure... part of the reason air is pulling into your mouth is mouth pressure is lower then nasal pressure... and the air want's to go the path of least resistence... or towards the low pressure zone. personally I use tape.. there's a blue gentle tape that works pretty well without hurting like a mug.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

wm_hess

Post by wm_hess » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:05 pm

SMenasco wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:41 pm
Hi. It seems to me one problem is that you're not recirculating air, air is escaping from your mouth, reducing therapy effectiveness, and the blowing air is drying your mouth out.

Using a full face mask, the pressure is equal between the nose and the mouth, so no stream of air escapes. If your mouth opens due to relaxation, you'll be breathing through your mouth and possibly drying your mouth out, but not as much.
Therapy would be improved by the cessation of constantly blowing (escaping) air. The pressure then goes to splinting the throat open, reducing possible apneas.

Other people use a product called xlyimelts that helps people with dry mouth. You place it in your mouth and it 'glues' to your gum and melts for 6 or so hours, keeping your mouth moist. The directions say to place the lozenge between the molar and the cheek. I don't know how well they would work for a person who has dentures.

Myself, I use a Ludens cough drop or similar. I place it in the back of the throat and hold it in place with my tongue. It too lasts most of the night, and helps me seal the throat. I think that the sealing of the throat pulls the tongue forward a little bit, and stops it from collapsing while I'm asleep. I tend to sleep on my back a lot due to shoulder and hip pain so I need as much help as I can get to get my apneas down, and tongue in place.

There are also various chin straps, and cervical collars to help keep your head properly positioned, and assist in keeping the lips closed. Since you find using tape a real pain, I'm not sure how much using these devices by themselves would help. Possibly someone who uses them could step forward with some ideas.

Personally I've used a FFM for almost 10 years, and my average AHI is around 0.30 AHI. I've used the cough drops even longer. What works for me though, doesn't always work for others. Good luck in finding something that works for you!

-Bill