Rode my bicycle 541 miles from San Francisco to Los Angeles. Take that Sleep Apnea. I win.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jamesbond007

Rode my bicycle 541 miles from San Francisco to Los Angeles. Take that Sleep Apnea. I win.

Post by jamesbond007 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:17 pm

Hi all,
As some of you know, I've been on CPAP since July 13th. Prior to CPAP I always felt like crap after a 50 miles ride. I was diagnosed in time and 2.5 months was enough for my body to recover from all the beating it took from lack of sleep. I finally rode my bicycle for a total of 541 miles from San Francisco to Los Angeles over 8 days. Used my CPAP every night while camping with a battery I bought on amazon. It feels really great that my body to a state where it should be in just 2 months. This gave the confidence to try other exciting things in life. Thanks so much for all the support and education you provided.

Bond: 1
OSA: 0

Captain_Midnight

Re: Rode my bicycle 541 miles from San Francisco to Los Angeles. Take that Sleep Apnea. I win.

Post by Captain_Midnight » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:18 pm

Nice work, Bond!

I do love success stories, and yours is worth reading by anyone looking for xpap therapy encouragement.

BTW, a little over a year following my beginning xpap therapy, I was able to run my first half-marathon ( at age 52).

And, a related question. Which route did you take on your eight-day ride?

jamesbond007

Re: Rode my bicycle 541 miles from San Francisco to Los Angeles. Take that Sleep Apnea. I win.

Post by jamesbond007 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:47 pm

Captain_Midnight wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:18 pm
Nice work, Bond!

I do love success stories, and yours is worth reading by anyone looking for xpap therapy encouragement.

BTW, a little over a year following my beginning xpap therapy, I was able to run my first half-marathon ( at age 52).

And, a related question. Which route did you take on your eight-day ride?

I took HWY 1. I did it as part of the Arthritis Foundation California Coast Classic. Raised money for the Arthritis Foundation.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:12 pm

My hat is off to you sir. Congratulations.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

NanTastic

Post by NanTastic » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:18 pm

This is very encouraging for me as a brand new cpap user!!! Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Additional Comments: t

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:12 pm

WOW!!!

Congratulations, that is awesome!

I'm scared to DRIVE on Highway 1 in some places--especially the central coast. I'm the person leaning to keep the car from falling off the cliff and fighting nausea from the curves. And you RODE those narrow roads with cars whizzing by???

Tipping my hat to you!
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

jamesbond007

Post by jamesbond007 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:47 pm

Thank you. CPAP is magic.

kteague

Post by kteague » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:45 pm

I'm beyond impressed. I travel from a valley in L.A. to the Sacramento area now and then and the trip tires me - in a car. Would be nice if you copied your story into the thread of success stories at the top of the page so it doesn't get lost over time. Congrats!

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:12 am

From one cyclist to another.....KUDOs to you!
I looked up the ride. Total commitment to do that.....
on many levels. Multi-day rides are just fantastic.
jamesbond007 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:47 pm
CPAP is magic.
10yrs ago, cpap gave me back my life, too.
Totally changed my cycling life.
I'll see you on the road.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:57 am

What battery? The one I got barely lasts a night and a half.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

jamesbond007

Post by jamesbond007 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:13 pm

Sorry for a late response. I just came back from my vacation and just checked your message. This is the battery I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DN ... UTF8&psc=1

along with this cigarette lighter adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008U ... UTF8&psc=1

Also for my ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset, I bought the 12V to 24C DC power converter from cpap.com

This combo lasts me 16 hours ( 2 full nights at 8hrs sleep a night). Takes 6hrs to charge from 0 to 100%. I use the slimline tubing instead of the Humidair tubing and turn off humidity completely. My pressure is 10-14cm with an EPR of 2cm, if this matters.

Hope it helps.

djbroughton

Post by djbroughton » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:26 pm

So how did you charge the battery if riding during the day and camping at night?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:25 pm

jamesbond007 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:17 pm
I finally rode my bicycle for a total of 541 miles from San Francisco to Los Angeles over 8 days. Used my CPAP every night while camping with a battery I bought on amazon.

jamesbond007

Post by jamesbond007 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:49 pm

djbroughton wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:26 pm
So how did you charge the battery if riding during the day and camping at night?
Rolled into the camp sure at around 4 pm each day. Had power supply provided from a generator by the tour organisers.