Still having problems with nasal congestion -Update- Pg 1 at the top-

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LG34

Still having problems with nasal congestion -Update- Pg 1 at the top-

Post by LG34 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:55 am

Update:
I went for allergy testing. It only showed mild reaction to dust mites. I am continuing to have nasal congestion and sneezing. Obviously a stopped up nose makes it hard to use a CPAP. My doctor has only offered 3 options after I allergy proof the bedding and house etc. Inject a steriod in the nose which can cause vision problems - that's a no. Do surgery to trim the tissue - I've read mixed reviews on this. Or try allergy drops vs shots since it's only one allergen. Currently I have to take Chlor Trimeton in the day and Benadryl at night and use Afrin as needed (I know the warnings). Zyrtec, Nasacort, Flonase didn't help. At times its seems to improve but doesn't go away and currently it's not improving. I've tried adjusting the humidity on the machine and haven't noticed any change in symptoms. Is this issue related to CPAP usage? I can't go without the CPAP - I get headaches and TMJ pain.

Prior message:
I've had issues with stuffy nose off and on. It's gotten worse and need a temporary solution if anyone has suggestions.

In July, my nose was so stuffy that Afrin wouldn't go in and then worked minimally for about 4 hours vs 12 hours when you can use it again. PCP gave me prednisone which helped but the symptoms came back gradually. Currently I have sneezing and probably a seasonal allergy. Ragweed is high in our area right now and supposed to be very high the end of the week. I ended up going to an ENT. He prescribed Singulair or prednisone again and allergy tests. Said to use Allegra, Claritin, Nasacort, Nasalcrom. I had told him that I had tried Claritin and Nasacort and it didn't work before he said to use it. Did he listen?

I used Allegra for 6 days. It helped a little. I was taking Allegra in the morning, congestion and eye watering coming back in the evening before bed. I took Benadryl at bedtime with Afrin and another Benadryl during the night when I would wake up and go to the bathroom. Slept well but slightly higher events with highest 2.5. Tried the Nasalcrom which has good reviews but it seemed to stir up the problem - don't think it was the medication but the physical mechanics of using a spray.

Yesterday I switched to Zyrtec. It helped more but the congestion came back in the evening. I used up the time limit on Afrin and couldn't use it last night. It was miserable. Totally unable to use the CPAP. I tried steam, warm compress to the face, saline spray. I could get it to open up but it wouldn't stay clear.

I haven't tried the Singulair or taken the 2nd round of prednisone. This doctor probably spent less than 10 minutes with me and I didn't get my questions answered. Pharmacist said to try one medication for 3 days and then try another. I had heard that it takes awhile for Allegra, Claritin, and Zyrtec to work.

Without the CPAP, I have headaches that nothing helps, my jaw goes forward (my dentist thinks to help me get air - BTW he sent me for sleep test, doctors missed my symptoms), I get a problem with my neck from what I suspect is pulling my head to the side trying to breathe at night. My throat dries out and hurts.

Would a full face mask help until this is resolved? I hate to spend the money but can't do without the machine. Would sleeping in a recliner help? I don't have one and hate to spend the money if it won't work. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

In the winter I would get the stuffy nose in the evening without sneezing. Saw a different ENT and he put a scope up my nose so I assume no blockage. He didn't give me any advice other than use Nasacort instead of Flonase.

Last edited by LG34 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jnk...

Re: Still having problems with nasal congestion

Post by jnk... » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:11 am

Fluticasone, generic Flonase, works best for me out of the various nasal steroids. (Costco sells the stuff dirt cheap: Kirkland Signature Aller-Flo, 5 Bottles for $23.99)

This chart lists other possibilities for related sprays, since what works for me may not work for you: https://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-tr ... medication

I have also found that keeping the relative humidity in my home and office below 50% really helps keep the dust mite population down, and they seem to be a primary reason for my sinus issues.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Barbee

Post by Barbee » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:22 am

When I started taking Singular, I didnt think it was doing a thing for me. Until I stopped it and boy could I tell a difference!
I now rotate the 24 hour otc allergy pills on a 2 or 3 day basis, sometimes a week. I might take Allegra for 3 days, then 3 days of Zyrtec, then 3 days of Claritin. This helps me so much and was recommended by a LNP. I found the Flonase takes a few weeks of regular use to be really effective and i need to take it about 3 hours before bedtime. I dont do Afrin unless I have a cold.

So I take Singular and my otc allergy pill in the morning, then my Flonase about 3 hours before bed. Even taking all this, when I first put my mask on, my nasal passages are quick to tighten up. After 15 minutes or so they relax and open back up.

YMMV, but this is what works for me.

Edited to add I do use a FFM because Im a mouth and nose breather lol
Last edited by Barbee on Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

rcobourn

Post by rcobourn » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:25 am

Have you tried simple saline nasal spray? I know it seems unlikely, but since you can use it as needed, it can really be helpful.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:36 am

Barbee wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:22 am
I now rotate the 24 hour otc allergy pills on a 2 or 3 day basis, sometimes a week. I might take Allegra for 3 days, then 3 days of Zyrtec, then 3 days of Claritin. This helps me so much and was recommended by a LNP. . . .
I would discourage that practice. And I would have a stern talk with that LNP to find out exactly what that recommendation was based on. But hey, just me.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

knothead

Post by knothead » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:19 am

Hi Larry
When I was having bad allergy attacks my doc told me to do the saline rinse, that helped tremendously during allergy season. That was years ago, now I use a Neti pot to rinse sinuses when things flair up. I had congestion also, might be worth a try. Good luck.

musculus

Post by musculus » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:30 am

Sounds like you need a nasal surgery. Don't use Afrin for long, the rebound congestion is no joke...

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:08 am

Larry - have you tried lowering the humidity setting on your machine? It can make quite a difference if the ambient humidity where you live is already high to begin with. Plus I also recommend you try a soft cervical collar that will keep your head up, airway more open and jaw more closed... many here use them.

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:07 am

jnk... wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:11 am
Fluticasone, generic Flonase, works best for me out of the various nasal steroids. (Costco sells the stuff dirt cheap: Kirkland Signature Aller-Flo, 5 Bottles for $23.99)

This chart lists other possibilities for related sprays, since what works for me may not work for you: https://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-tr ... medication

I have also found that keeping the relative humidity in my home and office below 50% really helps keep the dust mite population down, and they seem to be a primary reason for my sinus issues.
thanks for the tip about the costco generic equivalent. i pick up the flonase there. next time, i'll seek out that kirkland brand.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:20 am

zonker wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:07 am
thanks for the tip about the costco generic equivalent. i pick up the flonase there. next time, i'll seek out that kirkland brand.
You are welcome.

I order it from them online; there is no shipping charge.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Barbee

Post by Barbee » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:36 pm

jnk... wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:36 am
Barbee wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:22 am
I now rotate the 24 hour otc allergy pills on a 2 or 3 day basis, sometimes a week. I might take Allegra for 3 days, then 3 days of Zyrtec, then 3 days of Claritin. This helps me so much and was recommended by a LNP. . . .
I would discourage that practice. And I would have a stern talk with that LNP to find out exactly what that recommendation was based on. But hey, just me.
If it aint broke.... :wink:

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:58 pm

If you live in the south, we're in RAGWEED season :shock: :shock: :shock:

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:00 am

A nasal wash works wonders for me. I've developed post nasal drip and suffered from a scratchy throat for over six months. My GP told me to try a nasal irrigation system and it has worked. I couldn't believe the crap that it flushed out from my nasal passages. There are a variety of options starting with a simple squeeze bottle from Neilmed, Flo and others. There are also powered machines including Neilmed's Sinugator (gotta love the name) through to the Sinupulse and the master of them all id price is any indication, the Navage.

I've been nasal congestion free for over 50 years and it's only become an issue since I've started xPAP. Too much of a coincidence?

LG34

Post by LG34 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:15 am

Question about saline rinse/nasal wash - what kind of water do you use? Is there a risk associated with it? Hearing about amoeba (in general ) kind of scares me off. I'm not sure I can use a neti pot with all the head tilting, turning neck side to side. Is there one that you can just bend over the sink and it will work? I read about the NeilMed that uses a bottle and tubing and it sounded like it was tricky to clean and dry.

Could you recommend a soft cervical collar - brand name or link on where to purchase?

Currently our ragweed levels this week has been high and will be very high over the weekend. I switched to Zyrtec this week and taking Benadryl at night. My symptoms improved so fingers crossed. I had one night when I couldn't use the machine and had issues the next day.

What do you do if you can't use the machine? Do you get problems when you don't use it - headache etc? Do you sleep in recliner if you can't use it?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:46 am

Of course you have problems if you don't use the machine - you are using it for a reason. You stop breathing many times overnight which impacts many of your systems and you obviously got tested for various reasons... silly queston. And your symptoms will all return if you stop using it and they will get worse over time.