Should Guests Be allowed to Post?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Should Guests Be Allowed to Post

Yes
52%
No
40%
Unsure
8%

Total votes: 95

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:04 am

Liam,

So which color M & M did you vote for?

WillSucceed

censorship

Post by WillSucceed » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:11 am

You make some good points, but there is a common mistake in your post: We have no RIGHTS on this board, except those that the admins choose to give us. (Which also means we have no rights to debate or set policy, but as they allow it, then we can).

The implication (although you didn't specifically mention it, so maybe I read more into the word "rights" than you intended
Liam, I agree with you completely -the board is what it is based entirely on what the board administrators allow it to be. As users, we have no rights and, as you pointed out, I didn't specifically mention first amendment. Further, I suspect that you have, 'read more into the word...' So, as it is, there is no need for you to tell me that there is a 'common mistake in [my] post. There is no mistake, common or otherwise, in my post; it is just my opinion and opinions are never mistaken. They might be narrow, bigotted, unwelcome, etc., but never mistaken.

Wading:
Thanks for bringing the correct perspective back to the discussion.
Thanks for giving a perfect example of my point! Any time I need a "correct perspective" I will seek you out. This board is indeed fortunate to have "correct perspective police" judiciously reviewing posts to ensure that the "correct perspective" is the only perspective. This is EXACTLY why difference of opinion is healthy and should be welcomed.

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:14 am

I think we should go back to voting on CPAP hose cover colors

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:23 am

Mikesus wrote:I think we should go back to voting on CPAP hose cover colors
I'd go with "Flesh", but....

That's really not particularly specific, is it.

Liam, who by "flesh" means "pasty white".

Original Guest

Post by Original Guest » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:33 pm

I voted yes, of course!

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:42 pm

So now you want to police "guest" posts? I think some people here have far too much time on their hands. Sometimes the truth hurts & it's evident by the uproar over guests posting. Also, I am a registered member, but 9 times out of 10 when I log in it still shows me as a guest. I don't have time to keep trying to log in. It shouldn't matter if you are a guest or have a so called "name" here. Everyone's opinions & comments are valid unless they are personally attacking someone, & apparently that doesn't matter because I've seen others attacked by regulars. No one seems to care about that as long as the "attacker" has a "name", then it's okay. Also, quite a few of the posters here are more concerned about a guest posting than they are about a regular posting "smut". Hmmmmmmmm. So in other words if you are a regular "name" here you can post whatever, but if you are a guest with a valid concern or opinion it's not acceptable?

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:47 pm

"Guest"

If you are a registered user and have a problem with getting logged as guest, just sign your posts and we'll all know who you are.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

bpoe689

Welcome guests???

Post by bpoe689 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:26 pm

Sometimes people will comment on something as guest because they are unsure how they will be received under their own idenity. Like wearing a mask. Being unsure of yourself is something I know a lot about, but I have become bolder in this forum by being able to ask questions even if they may sound supid.

After all, what can someone do, come through the net and get me. I don't think so. I appreciate all the information on this forum because I am just getting started with my sleep problems.
I just had my first night of sleep study. My questions is, when I have the gastric bypass surgery and lose weight, will I still have to wear this equipment? I have not received all results, but oxygen level did go down to 76. That they did not like.

LDuyer

Re: Welcome guests???

Post by LDuyer » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:49 pm

bpoe689 wrote:Sometimes people will comment on something as guest because they are unsure how they will be received under their own idenity. Like wearing a mask. Being unsure of yourself is something I know a lot about, but I have become bolder in this forum by being able to ask questions even if they may sound supid.

After all, what can someone do, come through the net and get me. I don't think so. I appreciate all the information on this forum because I am just getting started with my sleep problems.

I agree with you. And there are all kinds of people. Feeling sensitive over how you might be received under your own identity might seem dumb, might even BE dumb, but so what. People are who they are. What ever way shouldn't matter. The important thing is for people to get as much help and support from our forum as is possible. Sleep apnea is enough of a problem as it is. Everyone deserves to get relief or help from here if they need it. We can deal with the problem posters. But we should concentrate on those who really need the help, whether they are guests or members, in my opinion, such as it is.

Linda

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:38 am

Absolutely true, but... the problem is that anonymity can be abused. In the world of internet discussion boards, it is often employed not to post some good opinion, but merely to attack.

As I've said before, the reason I have more of a problem with guests posting such things (and perhaps the newly registered as well) is that it's too easy to hide from the social graces of society. There's a certain human nature that says "Hey, if no one can possibly find out who I am, why should I bother? I'm in no way accountable for my words." There is a cowardice there, and a lack of consideration for one's fellow human beings which is distasteful.

It doesn't matter, the common opinion (and more importantly, the opinions of the admins) is that everyone, guest and registered alike, should be free to post with very rare intrusions by the admins. And that's fine.

I'm merely posting my opinion. As, of course, are you. But at the end of reading, everyone knows where my opinions came from, and as always, may write me a PM if they want to agree or disagree. No one has any idea where yours came from, and their only way of sending you either support or arguments is to post them publically.

Liam. Have some guts, guest. Sign your posts, even if you can't manage to stay logged in.

littlebaddow

Post by littlebaddow » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:40 am

Liam, I find most of what you post here to be amusing and useful. I respect your opinions, admire your efforts to overcome your challenges and I'm sure you post in good faith.

Like many others, I use this forum to learn and can choose to skim over anything that isn't relevant to me, and ignore the few instances where people start throwing insults. IMHO they are a small price to pay for the value of this forum.

I also respect the anonimity of those that choose it, whether deliberately or by the oversight of not logging in.

Would you agree that using words like 'cowardice' and 'have some guts' is inflammatory and could be interpretated as one of the attacks that you so eloquently disapprove of?

Please will everybody let this one go so that we can all get on with learning and dealing with our health problems? Please

Davidmcc

Post by Davidmcc » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:00 am

In another string I suggested guests should not be allowed to post and I confimed this view in this poll and note that I am in the minority. But here's another thought. Maybe we should all post as guests. Then we would all have to treat the information sourced on the forum with a bit more care. Whilst several members of the forum apparently have considerable expertise and knowledge, the reality is we have no way of knowing how truly reliable the advice given by anyone posting on a forum is. It is a cliche to say free advice is worth what it costs. But we should all appreciate that whilst this forum is a valuable information resource it should not be relied upon and being the sole source of information upon which one might make a critical decision and most certainly not as justification for self diagnosis and treatment without the backup of consultation with a medical doctor having relevent medical knowledge and expertise that is familiar with the patients medical history and condition.

Just another guest

Post by Just another guest » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:10 am

...with an observation. It never ceases to amaze me that in public forums such as this, that those who seem to have the biggest problem with guests posting are the cause of why other posters go under cover to begin with. I remember reading a post once where a new poster posted a helpful hint and I thought how great that that was. The very next post, from a very frequent contibutor attacked it. That post was then begatively backed by another frequent contributor, who jumped on the bandwagon in support of the other, and further put the original contributor down.

I used the original contributor's hint, to much success, but by the time I could say so, the tide was turned against that person, and I, regretably, felt quite intimidated to post so.

If I could vote as a guest, I would also vote yes!

Just another guest

Post by Just another guest » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:22 am

Did I really say begatively???!!! I meant the next letter over...Negatively!

JAG, who never won a ribbon in typing class, where they actually used electric typewriters!

SWS as a Guest

Post by SWS as a Guest » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:52 am

I personally think begatively should be allowed in the English language----at leat initially as a colloquialism. Eventually it might be certified by Webster for inclusion into the dictionary.

Does anyone begatively differ???