Resmed Airsense for her

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Vajrabell

Resmed Airsense for her

Post by Vajrabell » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:11 pm

I am currently using a Respironics Dreamstation . After sending 3 machines back I finally got one that didn't whine and moan, but my ahi's have been all over the place since I got it--from about 2 to up to 9. (The whining is widespread, in case any readers are having that problem) I will contact my dme about my numbers but am thinking of trying to change to the Resmed Airsense 10. When I looked at it on cpap.com I noticed that they had one that they said had an algorithm designed specifically for women--the Airsense 10 for women. Has anyone here had any experience with this? Does it really work better for women? I can probably get Kaiser to exchange my current machine for the Resmed, but I doubt for the women one. I'd have to buy it myself, and don't know if the difference between the two Resmed's is worth it. Thanks in advance for any information.

Goofproof

Re: Resmed Airsense for her

Post by Goofproof » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:17 pm

I thought whining was normal for some people, not a machine fault. :lol: Jim

I would expect a machine pumping air that changed flow when you breathed to change noise level, if it wasn't broken.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Vajrabell

Post by Vajrabell » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:40 pm

Thanks for the reply. It was the machine. It is a common problem with the DreamStation. A lot of people are reporting it. Google Dreamstation whine and you will see. I had tried all the various fixes (putting below the bed, putting on towel or rubber etc.) and none of them worked. The fourth machine that I tried doesn't have it. The first 3 did. And it wasn't subtle. It frequently woke my husband up and he is somewhat hard of hearing.
But what I now really want to know is there a useful difference between Resmed Airsense 10 and the Airsense 10 for women one that would make the one for women worth buying. Thanks.

Cubbiebear

Post by Cubbiebear » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:47 pm

I have that one for Her and it is well worth the money to me. Also it is extremely quiet...I have to look at it to be sure it is on. I can't compare since this is the only one I have ever used. I love all the information available on mine.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:55 pm

Vajrabell wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:40 pm
Thanks for the reply. It was the machine. It is a common problem with the DreamStation. A lot of people are reporting it. Google Dreamstation whine and you will see. I had tried all the various fixes (putting below the bed, putting on towel or rubber etc.) and none of them worked. The fourth machine that I tried doesn't have it. The first 3 did. And it wasn't subtle. It frequently woke my husband up and he is somewhat hard of hearing.
But what I now really want to know is there a useful difference between Resmed Airsense 10 and the Airsense 10 for women one that would make the one for women worth buying. Thanks.
Goofproof is here for the comedic side effect.

Go for the "for her", the price is the same, so why not get the extra mode, you may want to use it, you may not, but it's good to have the option.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Vajrabell

Post by Vajrabell » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:02 pm

Thanks for the replies. Cubbiebear it's good to know someone likes it. The reason for my hesitancy is about $883 which is what it would cost me to go for the Airsense 10 for women. I can probably get Kaiser to exchange my machine for the regular one, but for sure not the one for women. So I'm trying to decide if the difference between the two makes it worth actually buying the one myself.
It might just be something they are selling rather than something that matters. But my sleep has not been good on the Dreamstation and I'm looking to try and fix that.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:10 pm

Vajrabell wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:02 pm
Thanks for the replies. Cubbiebear it's good to know someone likes it. The reason for my hesitancy is about $883 which is what it would cost me to go for the Airsense 10 for women. I can probably get Kaiser to exchange my machine for the regular one, but for sure not the one for women. So I'm trying to decide if the difference between the two makes it worth actually buying the one myself.
It might just be something they are selling rather than something that matters. But my sleep has not been good on the Dreamstation and I'm looking to try and fix that.
i have no experience with either of the machines. i just popped in to see if you've tried secondwindcpap.com? i have no experience them either, but have heard good things here about their prices.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

djams

Post by djams » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:29 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:55 pm
Go for the "for her", the price is the same, so why not get the extra mode, you may want to use it, you may not, but it's good to have the option.
I noticed in the clinical menu on my "not for her" airsense 10 autoset an item called "Response". Options are Standard and Soft. When I looked at clinical manual to learn about the setting, I found that it's undocumented. Was wondering if this is how the machine becomes a "for her" Along with the colorful design stuff. Any idea if this is the case?

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:58 pm

djams wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:29 pm
palerider wrote:
I noticed in the clinical menu on my "not for her" airsense 10 autoset an item called "Response". Options are Standard and Soft. When I looked at clinical manual to learn about the setting, I found that it's undocumented. Was wondering if this is how the machine becomes a "for her" Along with the colorful design stuff. Any idea if this is the case?
If you had actually read the clinical manual, you would have discovered your theory as incorrect. The "For Her" Mode is set by the Mode parameter. (page 15 of the manual).
Here is the manual's explanation of "For Her" mode.
AutoSet for Her mode is based on key aspects of ResMed’s AutoSet algorithm and delivers therapeutic responses tailored to the characteristics of female OSA patients.
The AutoSet for Her is similar to ResMed’s AutoSet algorithm with the following modifications:
 Reduced rate of pressure increments designed to help prevent arousals.
 Slower pressure decays.
 Treats apneas up to 12 cm H2O and continues to respond to flow limitation and snore up to 20 cm H2O.
 Minimum pressure (Min. Pressure) that adjusts according to the frequency of apneas:
If two apneas occur within a minute, the pressure reached in response to the second apnea will become the new minimum treatment pressure until the next treatment session.
Patients who use AutoSet for Her will still get the benefits of ResMed's AutoSet technology including improved sensitivity to flow-limitation and Central Sleep Apnoea Detection with Forced Oscillation Technique.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:59 pm

This is from the Clinical Manual....

AutoSet for Her mode
AutoSet for Her mode is based on key aspects of ResMed’s AutoSet algorithm and delivers
therapeutic responses tailored to the characteristics of female OSA patients.
The AutoSet for Her is similar to ResMed’s AutoSet algorithm with the following modifications:
 Reduced rate of pressure increments designed to help prevent arousals.
 Slower pressure decays.
 Treats apneas up to 12 cm H2O and continues to respond to flow limitation and snore up to
20 cm H2O.
English 7
 Minimum pressure (Min. Pressure) that adjusts according to the frequency of apneas:
If two apneas occur within a minute, the pressure reached in response to the second apnea will
become the new minimum treatment pressure until the next treatment session.
Patients who use AutoSet for Her will still get the benefits of ResMed's AutoSet technology
including improved sensitivity to flow-limitation and Central Sleep Apnoea Detection with Forced

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:08 pm

djams wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:29 pm
palerider wrote:
It is not the case.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

djams

Post by djams » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:13 pm

prodigyplace wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:58 pm
If you had actually read the clinical manual, you would have discovered your theory as incorrect. The "For Her" Mode is set by the Mode parameter. (page 15 of the manual).
Actually did read all of that. And It looked like I'd like all of that stuff. :)

Except for this, which wouldn't work for me:
 Treats apneas up to 12 cm H2O and continues to respond to flow limitation and snore up to 20 cm H2O.
Guess I looked past the "mode" parameter.

djams

Post by djams » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:14 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:08 pm
It is not the case.
Thank you.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:02 pm

prodigyplace wrote:

If you had actually read the clinical manual
Hey, I'm supposed to be the sarcastic jerk, quit horning in on my territory!

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:17 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:02 pm
prodigyplace wrote:

If you had actually read the clinical manual
Hey, I'm supposed to be the sarcastic jerk, quit horning in on my territory!
don't worry; you'll always be #1 in our hearts!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg