PB spikes after switching from BiPap to Cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
old dude

PB spikes after switching from BiPap to Cpap

Post by old dude » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:20 am

After 5 years of pretty successful therapy with BiPap pressures I settled on at 11/7, I decided to do a science experiment and see how I might be able to tolerate straight Cpap instead. Thought it might simplify getting a travel/backup machine. So I set my machine on a fixed Cpap pressure of 9.5 with a Flex setting of 3and after a couple of nights I seem to be doing OK. AHI last night was 0.8 and I slept OK.

I did notice though that my periodic breathing jumped up to 7% on Cpap from and average of 0 to maybe 2% when on Bipap. A few facts from Sleepyhead:

There were 9 PB events, 5 of which occurred just before arising and 1 of which occurred just before my nightly bathroom break.

There were no Clear Airway events so I suppose therefore no CAs?

The 0.8 AHI was composed of all hypopneas, with no obstructive events.

Even with Flex set on 3 I still notice just a little bit of exhale consciousness on Cpap that wasn't so noticeable on Bipap.

So, would it be reasonable to assume that the PB events are likely associated with the changeover to Cpap and shouldn't be a cause for concern at this point? (I will mention them to my doc when I see him in August.)

This may help:
screenshot-20180714-133310.png
screenshot-20180714-133310.png (206.58 KiB) Viewed 507 times