Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) is Ruining My Quality of Sleep and Life!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Starlette

Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) is Ruining My Quality of Sleep and Life!

Post by Starlette » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:10 pm

Greetings everyone,

Long time no post. I've had RLS since I was 17 years old. At the beginning of the year I believe, the RLS has gone from the right side of my abdomen, to any given place in my body. Mom also suffers from RLS, and has used Mirapex for relief. So, a few months ago, I went to PCP to order a prescription.

In the last week or so, it has really gotten bad, to the point that it will wake me up in the middle of the night and act up. I go into denial, and tell my body to be quiet so I can return to sleep....Doesn't work. Obviously, this ruins my quality sleep. More importantly, the quality of my day is shot.

HELP!!! For those of you who suffer from RLS, what have you done to be more proactive in preventing this from occurring so frequently?

Warmly,
Starlette

zonker

Re: Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) is Ruining My Quality of Sleep and Life!

Post by zonker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:11 pm

hi, starlette.

i'm not a restless leg syndrome sufferer. i'm just replying to bump this up.

kteague (i hope i'm spelling that right) IS, so maybe she will see this and respond.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:02 am

Mine turned out to be low iron. Went away with iron supplements.

Yours may not have been iron related to begin with, but purpose a drop in iron has made it worse suddenly?

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:31 am

A few things for starters, Starlette...

What meds are you on? Sometimes RLS is a side effect of a med. In those cases one has to decide if the med is one they absolutely must have. If not, work with the prescribing doctor to wean off if needed, and maybe try a different med.

A neurologist might be able to tell you if the location of your symptoms correlate with any areas of possible nerve damage. Sometimes spinal troubles are suspect, like when people have spinal stenosis. The jury is still out on why we have RLS. (My problem is more PLMD.) And there's likely varying causes, usually leaving patients with a trial and error approach to finding solutions.

Have you been tested for nutritional deficiences? Iron issues are suspect, and it is recommended that those with RLS keep their ferritin level up around 100. Just being in the normal range isn't good enough for RLS patients. Not all doctors are familiar with this and look only for a value within the normal range. Also check anything pertaining to muscle and nerve function, such as magnesium and vitamin D.

I have found listening to soft rock oldies calms my brain best. It gives my brain input to focus on but is so familiar that my brain doesn't have to be alert and listen. I use a TENS Unit to quiet my legs. I don't know if that treatment can be modified to help other areas of the body. I think I would want a doctor to make that suggestion rather than experiment. The RLS Foundation's website has a wealth of information. http://bb.rls.org/index.php?sid=9b4cd62 ... 7a9dd7d16a

AnarchyJane

Post by AnarchyJane » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:18 pm

I have RLS. I notice it is worse on days when I eat salty things or when I don't drink enough water. On those days when I feel it starting, I take a soak in the tub, water as hot as I can stand, and rub my legs for a good 30 minutes. I use to go in the hot tub but it broke down on me.

Bigtonguehypopnea

Post by Bigtonguehypopnea » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:30 pm

Here are the things that have helped me, in order of their helpfulness. Between my Calm Legs supplement and calf stretching, it's not an issue for me any more. It used to ruin my life! I only have leg issues, and there are many possible causes, so my solutions may not work for you, but I'm hopeful they will.

"Calm Legs" supplement (with iron, magnesium, and D, and others)
Calf stretch on the stairs for 2 whole minutes. (I've found ways of stretching calves in bed if jerking legs wake me up.)
Epsom Salt Baths
Very hot baths
Magnesium oil on legs, then wash off. Or on bottoms of feet.
Discontinuing SSRI medication
Not eating too much salt or sugar

Cubbiebear

Post by Cubbiebear » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:06 pm

I've had RLS for over 30 years. I have a lot of relief since I began using the CPAP. Prior to the CPAP it was mind over matter. Training my brain to tolerate because there was nothing else for me and I refuse medication for RLS. Good luck.

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:49 am

@BigTongue

I did order the "Calm Legs" as you suggested. I placed the order via Amazon.com

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:50 am

@BigTongue

I did order the "Calm Legs" as you suggested. I placed the order via Amazon.com

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:54 am

Some with significant RLS have benefited from medical marijuana. It has fewer long term side effects than some of the meds prescribed for this.

This article had some information on non-pot suggestions to try, which you may or may not know. https://www.marijuanabreak.com/best-mar ... tless-legs

There seems to be multiple causes of RLS, which makes it hard to find solutions. The iron worked great for awhile, up until the anemia was resolved, but I must admit, the symptoms aren't as bad as they were before I started taking iron. I no longer take iron as the cause of the low iron was resolved with surgery.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:23 am

Starlette wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:10 pm
So, a few months ago, I went to PCP to order a prescription.
What was the result of this? Are you taking anything now? How much? When?

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:52 am

SewTired wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:54 am
Some with significant RLS have benefited from medical marijuana. It has fewer long term side effects than some of the meds prescribed for this.

This article had some information on non-pot suggestions to try, which you may or may not know. https://www.marijuanabreak.com/best-mar ... tless-legs

There seems to be multiple causes of RLS, which makes it hard to find solutions. The iron worked great for awhile, up until the anemia was resolved, but I must admit, the symptoms aren't as bad as they were before I started taking iron. I no longer take iron as the cause of the low iron was resolved with surgery.
My sister has had RLS since she was a child and it's getting worse. She recently tried medical marijuana, and although it relaxed her it did nothing for her RLS. Like most everything else, it's a YMMV thing. I just texted her about "Calm Legs".
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:44 pm

SewTired wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:54 am

Some of those strains I have tried. Yes, thank you. Later, I'll be reading the article, thank you.

dwood003

Post by dwood003 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:33 pm

I take Ropinirole (2) 2mg Tabs per day. They are very strong and make you sleepy so I split one with a pill splitter and take 1/2 at lunch the other 1/2 with dinner and a whole one at bed time. They are 100% effective if you stay on schedule and intolerable if I miss. I can't stand it, they take around 45 minutes to kick in so I'll walk around until they do. Don't eat before bed time it will delay getting in to your blood stream.

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:36 pm

Have you all noticed the RLS worsening with age?

NOTE: I intend to answer your questions, I just can't at the moment.