Bipap and sleep aid?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JalynRN

Bipap and sleep aid?

Post by JalynRN » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:04 am

I have been using a bipap for over a year now. I honestly couldn’t sleep with out it until recently. I am usually on anti anxiety/ anti depressant medication but I had to stop taking because I am pregnant. I find that my anxiety is now creeping up on me again and I seem to be getting claustrophobic to my mask! I know it’s all in my head because I have used it for a year. I can usually talk myself out of it and manage BUT I keep having terrible insomnia now. I’m only using my machine for about 3 hours and I had only missed one or two night in a year under 4 hours. I can’t seem to win :roll: I haven’t used Benadryl or anything to sleep since I started using my machine. I was actually afraid to, my AHI before bipap was 79 :shock: just looking for any kind of advice. I’m going to be speaking with my doctor but I wanted to ask any of you that may have had any first hand experience with this. Thanks in advance!

HoseCrusher

Re: Bipap and sleep aid?

Post by HoseCrusher » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:29 pm

During pregnancy the body undergoes a lot of changes.

If you are able to maintain a healthy diet and stay hydrated you can give your body the raw materials it needs to stay in balance.

Emotional support comes from family and friends. Lean on that support. You may also review the various mask types. Some have a smaller footprint and my be perceived as less claustrophobic. This is a long shot but worth looking at...

Sleep hygiene is important. Make a list of what is recommended for good sleep and see if you can follow the recommendations.

Have a great pregnancy. You can overcome these "little bumps" and have a great life with your child. :)

Macroman44

Post by Macroman44 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:06 pm

I get some comfort from playing music that I like.

rick blaine

Post by rick blaine » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:23 pm

Hi JalynRN,

Over the last 20 or so years there have been a number of new, effective, and drug-free methods proposed for reducing anxiety and taking the fear response out of phobias. They include:

– V/K Dissociation (the 'rewind method', from Richard Bandler);

– Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (the 'hemispheric connection' method, from Francine Shapiro);

– Thought Field Therapy (the 'tapping method', from Roger Callahan);

– Emotional Freedom Therapy (similar to the above, from Donna Eden);

– Havening (the natural, 'self-comforting neurology' method, from Dr Ronald Ruden).

They all work by doing something to interrupt the sequence which goes on in the brain and mind – the sequence of: some everyday and otherwise neutral stimulus ➔  the mid-brain ➔ a negative reaction.

And the underlying principle is: because that link has been learned, it can be interrupted. 8) And the patient can be led into forming a better, more adaptive link in the previous link's place.

Treatment is usually brief – for most cases, one or two sessions.

The last method on the list – Havening – is the newest of such methods, and is probably the most effective. How it goes is explained here: (The person on this video studied directly with Dr Ruden, and made this video with his approval.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C1liEFCZm4

Ideally, you would find a Havening practitioner near you, but if that's not possible, then you might have a go at the process by yourself – just as it's explained in the video.

(If you are doing it by yourself, you might want to pick a minor problem for your first run-through – so you can test-out the method without there being too much riding on it. Then, when you've got the method firmly in your mind ... )

And remember - not only is this method recommemded by a doctor (by whom I mean Dr Ruden) – it is entirely drug free. 8)
Last edited by rick blaine on Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:35 pm

I am surprised you are off your antidepressant/anxiety meds. I know the goal is to have a drug free pregnancy, but I stayed on my meds during my pregnancy. There are multiple meds considered safe to use, weighing the pros and cons of course. I am glad you're going to be discussing this with your doctor.

Pregnancy really messes with you, before and after, so be alert during the post-partum phase as well. It is important.

You are right. You need to keep on your machine, as your little one needs the benefits as much as you do. My AHI was in the 70s too. I know how hard that is on your body.

Sleeping pills never worked for me. I never had a problem falling asleep. I had a problem staying asleep.

You don't mention your equipment. But I sometimes use a nasal pillow mask instead of a full face mask and I think it would cut down on the claustrophobia if that is what you are using. It really frees up your face and definitely may be worth the investment.

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow
Last edited by MrsRinPDX on Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

jules

Post by jules » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:54 pm

how fast did you go off the meds?

are you in some kind of withdrawal?

sleep meds and XPAP don't go together anyhow - some docs will Rx them - others will not