Very difficult to contact doctor

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dh37

Very difficult to contact doctor

Post by dh37 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:32 pm

I'm pretty new to this forum. I introduced myself here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=171649&p=1251482.

My general question, in that post as now, is logistics at the beginning of the journey: dealing with doctors, insurance companies, DMEs, etc.

In particular, I wanted to know how easy it should be to contact the doctor (meaning, the sleep doctor).

People here claim it's a good idea to get a copy of initial test results (I had a home study) and the CPAP prescription (I was diagnosed, at least according to a phone call I made to the sleep center, with "severe" OSA). Skimming around, this seems like pretty reasonable advice.

Problem is that I'm having a very hard time doing this. It took a couple calls to the sleep center where I got the home study device to find out that I needed to call a different number, that of the doctor. When I call that number, I only get an answering service, which forwards messages. Looking at the (very) few reviews on the web, at least a couple said it can a long time (maybe even weeks (!!!)) to hear back from the doctor.

Is that reasonable? Frankly, seems ridiculous...if I'm asking for my presciption and test results, most medical clinics would have staff that handled these requests (maybe the staff would have to buttonhole the doctor to get permission, but then would take care of it).

I do have an appointment scheduled, for Sep 6. I had thought this was a "post fitting by the DME of the device", but now I have no idea.

Should I think about going to a different clinic instead? I have pretty good insurance.

Julie

Re: Very difficult to contact doctor

Post by Julie » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:45 pm

Google the doctor, see if he's affiliated with some other facility. Call them and ask if they know e.g. if he's away for a week, month, etc, then decide what to do.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:39 pm

I am afraid your experience happens quite often. The first doctor that scheduled my sleep study would not return any calls. His staff never answered the telephone and always allowed it to go to voice mail. Since he scheduled my first sleep study with out documenting a face to face meeting where we discussed sleep apnea, Medicare would not authorize the purchase of my machine. I changed doctors. I contacted the sleep center and scheduled my own sleep study. The required face to face meeting was documented during my initial meeting with the nurse practitioner at the sleep clinic. I have been using this clinic for the last three years and our family doctor sent my wife there for her sleep study. We now see the nurse practitioner together every six months.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:51 pm

Go to the dr office in person and talk to a human. It's hard to avoid someone who is standing there. Then once you get your prescription and so on find a different Dr who is responsive to patient concerns.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:31 pm

If the doctor isn't reachable, contact your insurance company. They may not pay for a second sleep study unless you report the doctor as unreachable and unavailable. There is no reason you should have to wait 3 months for test results and a prescription. This is absolutely poor care.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

amenite

Post by amenite » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:43 pm

On my 4 year CPAP anniversary today and your post reminds me of how my original "sleep doctor" took over 4 weeks to follow up with me after the lab test and told me how bad I had it - AHI 100+. I might have strangled him if I hadn't been so exhausted. Four weeks I could have driven into what have you or burned the house down by falling asleep while cooking. Fast forward to the three month followup after being on CPAP and the receptionist/office manager hands me the bill from my last visit three months earlier and tells me it's usually required to pay this before the next appointment. Like they don't use envelopes to mail bills anymore? Is it sheer laziness, cheapness, gross incompetence? It as if they never ran a business before. Problems like these and like yours are pervasive in our system. If you happen to find a good one stick with them. Until then it's a free-for-all.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:59 pm

find a new board certified pulmonologist sleep doctor that has his office not in a sleep center. make an appointment with him. explain what you think and what you need and have his office request your records from the now previous doctor. he will probably order a new study in a real sleep lab.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

BTS

Post by BTS » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:15 pm

TASmart wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:51 pm
Go to the dr office in person and talk to a human. It's hard to avoid someone who is standing there. Then once you get your prescription and so on find a different Dr who is responsive to patient concerns.
+1 .. The best way is to go in and talk to someone in person ... This is how I got an apt and you can even ask to be put on a cancellation list in case someone doesn't show up or cancels..

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:15 pm

When I do not hear back, I walk right in.
The office voicemail system is old enough that I can blame the equipment,
and let the staff pretend that was what happened. I let them save face.

dh37

Post by dh37 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:39 am

Wow---great comments and advice, everyone. This is one of the best communities of any kind, on any topic, I've ever encountered on the web. Thanks!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:46 am

(Blushing) thank you for everyone here--not so much me--
I'm only here for decoration.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:53 am

Yes, allowing a party to save face is very important to getting what you want/need. Some forumites could learn from a frog.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:58 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:46 am
(Blushing) thank you for everyone here--not so much me--
I'm only here for decoration.
what color does a frogs skin get when she blushes?
:lol:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:00 am

dh37 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:32 pm
Should I think about going to a different clinic instead? I have pretty good insurance.
If this doctor is in your insurance network, call the insurance company. If you don't get a good response from the insurance customer service rep, ask to speak to a supervisor. The insurance company has a vested interest in performance of the entities in their network. They also have binding contracts.

In the long run, I would find another doctor in the network.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:11 am

Most sleep doctors consider themselves consultants rather than “your” doctor. They go into sleep medicine to make money, not interact with patients any more than the law requires.

That said, you have a right to a copy of your sleep study—your medical record belongs to you. Make a request in writing, (KEEP A COPY) send it certified mail with a reasonable deadline (5-10 business days).
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm