Sleepy head is not reading the AHI

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
stardust123

Sleepy head is not reading the AHI

Post by stardust123 » Thu May 24, 2018 2:59 pm

Hi,

my husband got a new machine called AirStart 10. All of his data downloaded but the AHI did not download, it just says 0 on everything. Does anyone know why it did not download, all the other information is correct. I saw the doctor download it and she had everything.

Pugsy

Re: Sleepy head is not reading the AHI

Post by Pugsy » Thu May 24, 2018 3:13 pm

It's because the AirStart models don't record anything but hours of use.
It can't show the AHI because it doesn't record the AHI. It's a compliance hours of use machine only. That's why it is so cheap.
It isn't heated hose capable. Just a basic bare bones machine but cheap and at least apap capable but won't tell you what pressure it uses in apap mode and won't give you any AHI or leak or anything but how many hours it was used.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... idair.html
Compliance Data to SD Card

The AirStart™ 10 Auto includes and SD card which records basic compliance data. The SD card can be removed and given to a physician for therapy tracking.
There's the AirSense 10 models and there's the AirStart 10 models. Gotta be careful with the model names.
AirSense 10 CPAP...half assed brick with some very limited data available.
AirStart 10 models...all of them even the apap model are total bricks...no data beyond hours of use.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu May 24, 2018 3:16 pm

I would not accept this machine as my primary machine. No data is a deal breaker for me.

Now for a travel or back up machine it would be fine as long as people didn't need or want the efficacy data.

If insurance is involved....insurance pays the same for this model as it would for the AirSense 10 AutoSet.
Guess which one the DME makes the most money on????

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu May 24, 2018 3:33 pm

Also in Iconny Row, you are showing a different machine, which is one of the reasons ICONNY, is NOt as good as text. However many people don't know what machine they use too. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

stardust123

Post by stardust123 » Thu May 24, 2018 5:35 pm

Okay Thanks.. BTW the machine was not cheap, but it was not over a 1,000 dollars like the other machine which lasted only two years. I believe that machine was 700 dollars and recommended by the doctor because we couldn't pay out the over 1,000 dollars.

Interesting because the doctor was able to get his AHI off the machine. I am not sure why doctor can do it, but I can't. I have no insurance and we are not paying any more money. We dropped Obamacare the Bronze plan 2,000 dollars a month and 15,000 dollar deductible. Plus I had to go to the crappy Kaiser Insurance doctors who never adequately treated his sleep apnea. We were even shown the machine in a group. They never followed up or asked to see his card after the first visit. They wonder why there is a low compliance, but I digress.

At least now I have a catastrophic health sharing plan for 534 dollars a month, but the Sleep Apnea was preexisting and it's not covered.. I can go to the good doctors at the sleep institute. They have him coming back and finally set his machine correctly.

Last edited by stardust123 on Thu May 24, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stardust123

Post by stardust123 » Thu May 24, 2018 5:41 pm

The machine is the ResMed Air STart 10Apap. It does have a heated hose and a humidifier. If I can't figure out how the doctor got the AHI averages, but I can't. I could just write them down manually.

BTS

Post by BTS » Thu May 24, 2018 5:51 pm

You never have to pay over $1000 so many great deals out there on Airsense 10 APAP machines .... I have seen many between $400 - $600 and even some at the 2-300 range .... They're out there if you look, even have members here with great deals on new machines ... If you're dishing out $700 already.. NEVER get a brick ... unless it is for backup .. You will NOT get an AHI reading on that machine or pressure settings ....

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu May 24, 2018 7:07 pm

Is it black or grey?
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... idair.html

You can try ResScan and see if there is data on it.
Go here and read how you can sign up and log in and then find the instructions for how to get an email with a link to download ResScan.
https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap- ... tup-manual
Instructions in little bitty letters below the list of ResMed available manuals..
You might want to request the clinical manual while you are at it.

The AirStart machines didn't have the ability to use a heated hose. No hose air temperature controls and if you have hose air temp controls you don't have the AirStart.
Unless ResMed has drastically changed their AirStart product line and we never we told about the changes.
It is possible that things were changed and their was no public notice of the changes...in data or heated hose use.

Get ResScan...if it shows more than hours of use then ResMed has changed it and you will need ResScan to see it because SleepyHead was never compatible with the AirStart machines at all.
It would be the only possible way for the doctor to see the AHI.....if it has more than hours of use.

BTS

Post by BTS » Thu May 24, 2018 7:23 pm

I would like to know if this change took place as well ... would be helpful to all of us to know if they now provide data and a heated hose... First of hearing this and I thought I was pretty up to date...

stardust123

Post by stardust123 » Thu May 24, 2018 7:42 pm

Thank you. Yes the machine is that machine with black and grey. Yes I do not see heated hose. So I guess it does not have that. My husband had clogged nose with other machine, this one does not do that. He says this one does not cause plugged nose. It has a humidifier.

Yes I can see on the face of the machine the average AHI for 30 days of use. Yes I can see AHI daily and I can change the time average. Once again, the machine was recommended by the doctor at the sleep institute near my house. The one with all the bells and whistles that was 1800 dollars broke in 2 years. I was not impressed.

I will download the other program. This machine is an APAP and we are happy with it. It's simpler. There was a suspicion with the other machine that it was giving him Central Apnea because it was blowing hard all the time. OR it could be the crappy Walmart type doctors at Kaiser Permanente did an in home sleep test and it was wrong or inaccurate. The new doctors did not see any central events at all on the old machine. This has a heated humidifier but not a heated hose. Item has been working well and he's to come back in a year. I would rather they do a real sleep study when they need one. I will try and download other program.

I appreciate all your help.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu May 24, 2018 8:04 pm

Then apparently the newer AirStart machines seem to have some limited data.

Please do let us know when you get ResScan up and running exactly what data it offers. I am wondering how detailed that data is.

When you see the AHI on the LCD screen does it give you a breakdown as to each event type of category?
Anything else show up like leak numbers of some sort?

BTS

Post by BTS » Thu May 24, 2018 8:43 pm

stardust123 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:42 pm
The one with all the bells and whistles that was 1800 dollars broke in 2 years. I was not impressed.

This machine is an APAP and we are happy with it. It's simpler. There was a suspicion with the other machine that it was giving him Central Apnea because it was blowing hard all the time. OR it could be the crappy Walmart type doctors at Kaiser Permanente did an in home sleep test and it was wrong or inaccurate. The new doctors did not see any central events at all on the old machine.
Hard to imagine it being 1800 unless you were on a BiLevel device.... And if not that was probably the DME mark up price ... aPAPs are not that much money ...

Centrals can be increased on aPAP that's why they start off most users with straight cPAP for complex or mixed apnea if going through insurance ... Still the aPAP is always the better choice having that much more control and settings for future use..

BTS

Post by BTS » Thu May 24, 2018 8:47 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:04 pm
Then apparently the newer AirStart machines seem to have some limited data.
Still questioning this .. No where online do I see anything about it being other than a brick, limited data machine ...

Would be nice to find some solid answers here... :D

I would go crazy not being able to be in control and see my numbers or how I'm doing ...cringing***

Edit: here is the ResMed info on the AirStart aPAP.. Comparison chart further down page..
https://www.resmed.com/ap/en/consumer/p ... -apap.html

Last edited by BTS on Fri May 25, 2018 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu May 24, 2018 9:03 pm

BTS wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:47 pm
Still questioning this .. No where online do I see anything about it being other than a brick, limited data machine ...
I haven't either but maybe ResMed added some limited data like it offers on the AirSense 10 CPAP model. Summary numbers only but no graphs type of thing. Maybe it was done without a lot of fanfare similar to the fact that when the AirSense 10 models were released the only model that had reporting of RERAs was the For Her APAP but now they all have it.

It's not that big of a deal to change because the inner guts are the same and all they do is change the software version they install on the various models they offer.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu May 24, 2018 10:00 pm

BTS wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:43 pm
stardust123 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:42 pm
The one with all the bells and whistles that was 1800 dollars broke in 2 years. I was not impressed.

This machine is an APAP and we are happy with it. It's simpler. There was a suspicion with the other machine that it was giving him Central Apnea because it was blowing hard all the time. OR it could be the crappy Walmart type doctors at Kaiser Permanente did an in home sleep test and it was wrong or inaccurate. The new doctors did not see any central events at all on the old machine.
Hard to imagine it being 1800 unless you were on a BiLevel device....
Oh, they probably got screwed over by a DME, like so many others do...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.