Nose Bridge vs Seal Leaks...at my wit's end

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Dashofpepper

Nose Bridge vs Seal Leaks...at my wit's end

Post by Dashofpepper » Sat May 12, 2018 2:10 pm

Hey folks!

I have a Philips Respironics Dreamstation, and use an Amara full-face mask. While I've been using a CPAP for years, my insurance recently switched my CPAP to this one one, with this new mask type.

I'm having serious problems with deep indentations in my nose bridge; once deep enough to cut my skin and the wound took a month to heal trying to keep it covered while using my CPAP at night. I purchased a silicone nose guard to try buffering the pain to the bridge of my nose, but no matter how I I place it on the bridge of my nose, the mask seal leaks air around the nose guard. After googling around, I found padacheek.com, but they don't seem to have a good bridge pad for the Amara full-face mask, and Google is mostly being a POS and only wants to show me "Amara View" stuff, which is a different type of mask.

I'm at my wit's end. Between my CPAP mask farting air into eyes to keep from going to sleep, its middle-of the night flapping flatulence, and the bridge of my nose injuries that I've trying to prevent....I don't know what to do.

Help me. I will send cookies.

gwc2795

Re: Nose Bridge vs Seal Leaks...at my wit's end

Post by gwc2795 » Sun May 13, 2018 5:17 am

Dash of pepper welcome to the forum.
I am posting some links to mask discussions. Hope they help. Can you please tell us what machine and pressures you are running.

http://cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t ... k#p1191532
http://cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t ... k#p1184143
http://cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t ... k#p1115419

Hope these links help

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sun May 13, 2018 6:15 am

I use a small bandaid...then I place a small strip of medical tape over the bandaid. Have you tried that?

Sheriff

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun May 13, 2018 6:20 am

Dashofpepper wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 2:10 pm
Hey folks!

I have a Philips Respironics Dreamstation, and use an Amara full-face mask. While I've been using a CPAP for years, my insurance recently switched my CPAP to this one one, with this new mask type.

Help me. I will send cookies.
The insurance has nothing to do with choosing a machine or mask.....They just pay the bill. Your Doctor and DME choose the machine...You choose the mask. Why don't you just go back to whatever mask you were using before??? You are the consumer..you make the choice......Chocolate Chip Please!

Dashofpepper

Post by Dashofpepper » Sun May 13, 2018 6:53 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 6:15 am
I use a small bandaid...then I place a small strip of medical tape over the bandaid. Have you tried that?

Sheriff
That was the first thing I tried, but the subsequent air blowing into my eyes made me try one of those silicone pads hoping that the silicone on silicone would create a better seal. So I got this thing. https://www.amazon.com/Nasal-Soft-CPAP- ... B00BBKVHGE The problem is that the wings stick out of the side of my mask (and cause air to squirt out); and even when I tried tucking them in, air still squirts out the top. The other night, I used scissors and cut the wings off to see if it would help, but still leakage.
gwc2795 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:17 am
Dash of pepper welcome to the forum.
I am posting some links to mask discussions. Hope they help. Can you please tell us what machine and pressures you are running.
Apologies, I thought I had that in my OP - it is a Philips Respironics Dreamstation, I'm using an Amara Full-face mask (not an Amara View), and my Titration is 10.
LSAT wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 6:20 am

The insurance has nothing to do with choosing a machine or mask.....They just pay the bill. Your Doctor and DME choose the machine...You choose the mask. Why don't you just go back to whatever mask you were using before??? You are the consumer..you make the choice......Chocolate Chip Please!
Well, my DME company (Rotech) only has a single type of full face mask, which is the Amara View that I'm currently using. My employer changed insurance companies, which led to me having a new sleep study, and when I only wanted some supplies for my fisker CPAP, they gave me a completely new setup with a new DME, so my other CPAP is in its bag under my bed now as a backup I guess.

That gives me an idea...I suppose I could go to my PCP and ask them to find a DME that provides the ResMed (I think?) mask that I already had. But where my CPAP itself is provided by the DME, and they're basically charging rent on it, I'd like to first see if I can solve this issue with the equipment I have before I give up and find a new DME and start over....with no guarantee of a solution.

In the meantime, my google searching found this padacheek website. http://www.padacheek.com/PAC_AntiLeak_Strap.html. I've ordered an anti-leak strap that fits over the front of the CPAP that might do the trick. When I put a little pressure on the front of the CPAP (something that strap tightening can't achieve) the leakage stops. Have any of you ever used one of those?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun May 13, 2018 9:45 am

Dashofpepper wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 6:53 am

In the meantime, my google searching found this padacheek website. http://www.padacheek.com/PAC_AntiLeak_Strap.html. I've ordered an anti-leak strap that fits over the front of the CPAP that might do the trick. When I put a little pressure on the front of the CPAP (something that strap tightening can't achieve) the leakage stops. Have any of you ever used one of those?
I have tried it and it was uncomfortable for me... I used it twice and would give it to you if you haven't ordered yet.
It only works with specific masks

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Sun May 13, 2018 9:52 am

Moleskin is an alternative to a bandaid. This is located in foot care section of a store like Walmart.

The Amara View FFM doesn't cover the nose bridge.

Can you use a nasal mask with a chin strap? There are nasal masks that don't cover the nose bridge like the Dreamwear with cushion or gel pillows.

Dave

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun May 13, 2018 3:21 pm

I used moleskin for several months when I was using a different mask. Once I determined it worked for me, I ordered a roll of it on the internet. The rolls are 2 inches wide and 15 feet long. I would simply cut off a piece each night and place it on my nose before putting on the mask. The first RT I worked with told me about the moleskin. She said her husband used it every night to protect his nose.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun May 13, 2018 3:39 pm

It seems that the mask, not the machine, is your problem. What kind of mask were you using before? How well did it work for you?

The point is that if the old mask was good before, try to go back to that mask.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun May 13, 2018 3:54 pm

One mask for everybody is RIDICULOUS. Unless you have an HMO with a very limited formulary the DME is supposed to supply the mask of your choice within a particular billing code.

Ask your doctor to write a prescription for the mask you prefer and write “Dispense as Written, no substitute mask” on the prescription. Then insist the DME provide the prescribed mask. If the DME attempts to upcharge you for the mask you request, see my post called “don’t pay that upcharge” and file a complaint with your insurance company.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:13 am

My nose is so far indented between the eyes that I never did find a full face mask (other then the view/dreamwear) I use a nasal mask now, but for full face masks only the philips dreamwear works. (the one that's like the view but generally better.) but sometimes moleskin does work, you can stick it to your skin or to the mask.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue May 15, 2018 12:20 pm

Sadly, noses are all a bit different--and my choices are limited,
because masks that work on my nose are rare.
Have you tried a hybrid mask or the Resmed Liberty?
--Nasal pillows with a cushion around the mouth only.
I hope something works for you.
Now you have me craving pfeffernusse--haven't had any for ages!