Progress Report DreamStation ASV

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JDS74

Progress Report DreamStation ASV

Post by JDS74 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:59 am

Just got a new DreamStation ASV machine and have been using it for about a week. Some observations when comparing it with the previous System One 960 I've been using for over 4 years.

1) The algorithm appears to be somewhat different. Setting the parameters to exactly the same values and the machine responds differently. In particular, the inhale-exhale pressures appear to be a little different - not as much differential.

2) The VS detection system is acutely more sensitive. Now it reports at a rate of 25 or so per hour where the 960 rarely reported anything. Sometimes my mask makes a very quiet bubbling sound in the mask itself and that seems to be the source of the VS report. It is such a quiet sound that I had to listen very carefully to be sure. Its not water in the hoses (I have three in my setup) but something inside the mask that I haven't tracked down.

3) The humidifier tank, while more convenient for cleaning is less convenient for taking in and out. Not a huge deal.

4) The pulse-oximetry system is completely different. Respironics has switched from Masimo to Nonin. It appears the Masimo sensors have a history of failing in odd ways. Mine failed after 3 years and reported huge spikes and drops in SpO2 perhaps every minute or so, well outside any possible actual variation.

5) Ultra-fine filters are now a new design and aren't available from any third party manufacturers. They are available only from Respironics. This ups my cost from less than $0.10 each to about $1.00 each. Not a huge deal but irritating all the same.

6) The most recent version of Encore that I have does read the card properly but will not ever recognize that the card is assigned to me. Going through the assign the card to this patient doesn't help. On the good side, the data goes to the right place.
Edit 1Looking at the waveform data, Encore 2.21 reports a little of the data from about 1 month prior to the actual date. The amount varies from about 6 minutes worth to almost 90 minutes worth. That being said, the detail data seems to be correct. There is currently no working copy of SleepyHead that will report on a DreamStation ASV machine much less one with the oximeter attachment installed so that there is no way to check on the accuracy of the reported data other than the summary data on the machine screen.Edit 1

Edit 2A few more days and the issue with old wave data has resolved. Looks as if it is related to beginning data for a new type machine and enough days have been uploaded so that the pointers are now correct.Edit 2

Overall its a good machine and I sleep well with it. None of these issues is a deal breaker and the ability to get integrated pulse-oximetry data makes it a great choice.

Last edited by JDS74 on Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

JDS74

Re: Progress Report DreamStation ASV

Post by JDS74 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:35 am

Bump re: new edit

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

photonic

Re: Progress Report DreamStation ASV

Post by photonic » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:22 pm

Thanks so much for this!
ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
8 years with F&P Oracle mouth mask now changing to
F&P Evora Full with S-M size
Hozer hose management device (a miracle!)
OSCAR software