Oxygenconcentrator questions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
emmayes

Oxygenconcentrator questions

Post by emmayes » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:03 pm

Hi, I have a questions about using an POC.

Never mind...
Last edited by emmayes on Sat May 26, 2018 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Julie

Re: Oxygenconcentrator questions

Post by Julie » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:56 pm

Have you asked the place you got it from about that? They know the machine more intimately than we do.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:29 pm

Oxygen does not burn, it supports combustion, under the correct condition almost anything will burn. Oxygen concentrators, for the most part don't store O2. A build up of O2 can make many things in the house burn faster and easier to ignite. Use common sense when using O2.

Do not smoke or use open flames in areas with high levels of O2. Odd's of a Oxygen concentrators, causing a fire when turned off are slim, but anything hooked to or working from electric could start a fire, as could your child rubbing two sticks of wood together. Give the candles to Ben Franklin. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:49 pm

emmayes wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:03 pm
Is a POC still a fire hazard if it is turned off?
Like, if you are at home, not using it, and want to light some candles.
An oxygen concentrator that is not operating is not a fire hazard. But, candles are. Don't use candles.
Candles cause an estimated 15,600 house fires, 150 deaths, and 1,270 injuries each year. A candle flame may be small, but you should treat it as you would any other flame – with care.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:48 pm

Julie wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:56 pm
Have you asked the place you got it from about that? They know the machine more intimately than we do.
Unlikely.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:50 pm

emmayes wrote:

It’s probably a stupid question, but I am simply not sure. Is a POC still a fire hazard if it is turned off?
Like, if you are at home, not using it, and want to light some candles. Does it have to be placed in another room or is it ok since it is off?
Because a tank is a fire hazard even when not in use (the oxygen is still there, and even when not using, there is a chance of leaks and stuff).
It's not a hazard when it's off, it's not a hazard when it's on. The only potential issue is the end of the hose, where the oxygen is coming out. However, unlike an oxygen tank, a concentrator does not increase the oxygen level in the room, it's sucking oxygen out of the room... so there's no net gain in oxygen in the room.

Now, if you hold the end of the hose up against a flame, it'll burn more vigorously, of course.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:35 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:50 pm
emmayes wrote:

It’s probably a stupid question, but I am simply not sure. Is a POC still a fire hazard if it is turned off?
Like, if you are at home, not using it, and want to light some candles. Does it have to be placed in another room or is it ok since it is off?
Because a tank is a fire hazard even when not in use (the oxygen is still there, and even when not using, there is a chance of leaks and stuff).
It's not a hazard when it's off, it's not a hazard when it's on. The only potential issue is the end of the hose, where the oxygen is coming out. However, unlike an oxygen tank, a concentrator does not increase the oxygen level in the room, it's sucking oxygen out of the room... so there's no net gain in oxygen in the room.

Now, if you hold the end of the hose up against a flame, it'll burn more vigorously, of course.
There is a net gain in room O2 if the pump is in the next room and the bedroom is closed off. I run a A/C at night so it pumps some of the gain out. :lol: Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

emmayes

Post by emmayes » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:40 pm

Thanks all! So what about cleaning the nasal cannula with an alcoholwipe? If it is turned on, the O2 will meet the alcohol cleaned holes, is that ok?

Last, I am thinking of using a firesafe cannula, but it isn’t clear to me if that is a one time purchase or has to be changed for health reasons?

Thanks again all, I guess it’s a bit scary and new.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:03 am

emmayes wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:40 pm
Thanks all! So what about cleaning the nasal cannula with an alcoholwipe? If it is turned on, the O2 will meet the alcohol cleaned holes, is that ok?

Last, I am thinking of using a firesafe cannula, but it isn’t clear to me if that is a one time purchase or has to be changed for health reasons?

Far simpler to just avoid flame near the canula.

emmayes

Post by emmayes » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:09 am

palerider wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:03 am
emmayes wrote:

Yeah, but it’s a POC and it’s used outside. What if someone walks by with a sigarette? Cannot stay in a bubble, so I want to do all I can to prevent any harm

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:18 am

emmayes wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:09 am
palerider wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:03 am
emmayes wrote:

Yeah, but it’s a POC and it’s used outside. What if someone walks by with a sigarette? Cannot stay in a bubble, so I want to do all I can to prevent any harm
by "near" I mean "within a few inches".

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:07 am

If it were that dangerous you would have been warned, either by whoever you got it from or by great big notices on the thing itself.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:01 am

emmayes wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:09 am
What if someone walks by with a sigarette?
Take the cannula out and hold it next to the end of the cigarette. It might flame up a little bit.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:10 am

emmayes wrote:

It’s probably a stupid question,
Yes, it and your fears both, completely overblown.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:29 pm

Fire requires three things, Fuel, O2, and a ignition source. Take any one out of the equation, you have NO Fire! If you use a POC, don't follow firefighters into burning buildings. I doubt if it will come up much, IRL. Jim