Yeast? Dehydration? Taping mouth the culprit??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Country4ever

Yeast? Dehydration? Taping mouth the culprit??

Post by Country4ever » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:01 am

I always try to figure out why something is happening. What's difficult is that I'm having huge flares of my fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis......and everything else that can go wrong.

I wear nasal pillows and tape my mouth. I've been doing this for over 10 years. I would love to wear a full face mask, but I hesitate to rock the boat. Also.....the nasal pillows seem to keep my nose/sinus congestion under control at night.

I've occasionally had oral thrush in my life. I also even had "hairy tongue" once.......treated with antibiotics...so I'm thinking my mouth is vulnerable for some reason. But with all these flares since November, I'm starting to wonder about things. My mouth is very dry, in spite of drinking lots of water. When I wake up in the morning, my tongue is glued to my oral cavity because it's so dry. I've noticed lately that my mouth relaxes and air flows into it and gets trapped. I'm thinking it stays that way most of the night, while air from the cpap goes the correct route. I don't know if that encourages funky things to grow on my tongue and also dries the whole mouth out?
I'm curious if any of you mouth-tapers have this problem too? Chin straps never worked for me.

I've decided I'm an alien and wasn't meant to be human. :(

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Yeast? Dehydration? Taping mouth the culprit??

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:41 pm

Some foods can kill the good bacteria in your mouth.
The bullfrog and I got it from a feast of garlic bread--heavy on the garlic.

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:30 pm

I use a nasal pillow (P10) and tape my lips. If I have the tiniest mouth leak, I wake with the glued tongue problem. No problem with mouth yeast.

Tonight, in hopes of reducing my nighttime presleep routine (i.e., shaving, washing face, measuring and cutting tape, cutting PolyGrip strips, flossing and brushing teeth, kissing wife goodnight) and encouraged by ChicagoGranny’s glowing endorsement of the Dreamwear FFM, I am trying the Dreamwear FFM. Who knows, maybe I will be able to start swinging from the chandelier in the bedroom, again.

The Quattro was the last FFM that I tried, and I swore that it would be my last. I’m getting excited, just thinking about it.

facemir

Post by facemir » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:15 pm

Looking forward to that review.

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:02 am

facemir wrote:Looking forward to that review.
It was not a successful night as I only got 4 hours on it. It is one of the most comfortable masks that I’ve worn.

I went cold turkey, and the only crutch I used was wearing the cap portion of the papcap to keep my head warm.

I think my basic problem was my head/chin dropping which effectively loosened the bottom strap. With the large mask leak, I developed chipmunk cheeks and things went to hades at that point with extreme mouth leaking. With large mouth leaks, I start dreaming that I couldn’t take a breath and eventually wake up from a sleep paralysis nightmare. I don’t enjoy those dreams.

Tonight, I’ll use the chinstrap to hopefully eliminate the chipmunk effect. I’ll pick up a cervical collar tomorrow, as CG swears by their effectiveness to hold the chin in proper position.

We’ll see tonight.

OP, I apologize for seemingly hijacking your thread, but we are in the same boat. I’m just not experiencing the mouth yeast.