Seeking help with full face mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
xcountrygal

Seeking help with full face mask

Post by xcountrygal » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:27 am

Hello All:
I am hoping that some you forum experts can give me advice regarding full face masks. I continue to search for a full face mask that will fit my slender face and petite head.
I am currently using the Resmed N20 nasal mask -but to make it work, I need to use a chin strap and tape my mouth as I am a mouth breather. As I have a large tongue relative to the size of my mouth, the chin strap ends up forcing my tongue further back in my mouth and thus further restricting my airway. I also often struggle to keep my nasal passages open - flonase, saline spray and sometimes afrin are needed along with much humidity (setting of 5 with heated hose).
Eventually, I am hoping that I will be able to use my dental device with a full face mask to keep my airway as open as possible at as low a pressure as possible. I am currently using pressure of 10-14. I have attempted to increase the top pressure as my flow limitation graph is rather "ugly" as Pugsy so aptly described it. Trials to increase did not change the flow limitation graph signficantly and only added to other problems - aerophagia, increased leaks etc. Over each night, my flow limitation graph tends to range from mid-teens to as much as 89 with median somewhere in the 40's. (I have requested oximetry testing and am awaiting a call from the DME to set that up.) My AHI numbers tend to run from low 1.0 close to 2.0 most nights and have since the beginning of therapy.

So far, I have tried the following: ResMed Quattro FX for her, Circadiance SleepWeaver Anew, Amara View, Dreamwear FFM, ZZZ-Mask and ResMed AirFit F10 for her. Of all of these, the F10 felt the best on my face, but I could not control leaks in the chin area (my chin is very narrow). Most of the others were miles too big - either along the back of the neck causing sore, stiff necks in the morning or overall. I really wanted to like the Dreamwear - but could not keep the nasal portion snugged up under my nose well enough to prevent leaks there even with significant padding along the frame and anchoring the top frame section to the back of the headgear to keep it from slipping forward on my head. I also had leaks with this along either side of lower edge in the chin (small cushion - small frame).
I also briefly tried the ResMed AirFit f20 at the DME, but at the time (shortly after starting cpap therapy with nasal pillows with resulting congestion in ears, sinuses and nose), anything touching the bridge of my nose felt like too much!

I am a side sleeper which futher complicates things.

I feel as if I am rapidly running out of choices. Was wondering if any of you had further suggestions? Am tempted to give the F20 another try, but anticipate issues with the chin area. I have tried liners with several of the masks and not much help there. Has anyone used a mask seal - saw some discussion regarding mask seak that is designed for scuba divers and wondering if that would be helpful?

Sorry to ramble on - Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Seeking help with full face mask

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:13 pm

Bump, for some FF mask fans.
I found this orphan out back . . .

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:59 pm

The F&P Simplus FFM is the only FFM that has ever worked for me

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:46 pm

I use the F&P 431. Like previous poster, this particular mask is the ONLY one that ever worked for me.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:46 pm

Madalot wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:46 pm
I use the F&P 431. Like previous poster, this particular mask is the ONLY one that ever worked for me.
The CPAP.com description in your signature says the mask seals under the chin. How does that affect mouth breathers?

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:43 am

prodigyplace wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:46 pm
Madalot wrote:
The CPAP.com description in your signature says the mask seals under the chin. How does that affect mouth breathers?
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. I'm a big time mouth breather and this mask doesn't stop that. Yes, it does go under the chin but it's not so tight as to prevent the mouth from opening to breathe.

Is that what you're asking?

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:00 am

Madalot wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:43 am
prodigyplace wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:46 pm
Madalot wrote:
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. I'm a big time mouth breather and this mask doesn't stop that. Yes, it does go under the chin but it's not so tight as to prevent the mouth from opening to breathe.

Is that what you're asking?
Yes thanks

I have sinus allergies and have periodically tried FFM as an alternative to my P10 pillows. FFM leak issues are a big problem.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:44 am

I am puzzled as to why you are trying to keep your mouth shut AND use a full face mask. The purpose of a full face mask is that you CAN sleep with your mouth open. If you are going to keep it closed, why not get a nasal mask of some type.

That said, some masks have a smaller headgear option *if* you ask for it. That is what I needed to make my Quattro FX stop sliding around my face. My first DME lied and said it didn't exist. When I provided proof (two websites listing it for sale), they said they could not order it. I found a different DME, ordered the smaller headgear, and finally mastered my mask.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:49 am

zoocrewphoto wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:44 am
I am puzzled as to why you are trying to keep your mouth shut AND use a full face mask. The purpose of a full face mask is that you CAN sleep with your mouth open. If you are going to keep it closed, why not get a nasal mask of some type.
If you are referring to me, there are times where nasal stuffiness due to allergies means I cannot use the nasal pillows. I am looking for an alternative for those times other than not using CPAP. :(

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:48 am

prodigyplace wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:49 am
zoocrewphoto wrote:
If you are referring to me, there are times where nasal stuffiness due to allergies means I cannot use the nasal pillows. I am looking for an alternative for those times other than not using CPAP. :(
I am sorry. I misread the OPs post as wanting to use a full face mask while using a chin strap to keep the mouth closed. I missed the part that they were currently using a nasal mask (and thus the chin strap), but were looking for a better full face option.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:23 am

zoocrewphoto wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:48 am
prodigyplace wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:49 am
zoocrewphoto wrote:
I am sorry. I misread the OPs post as wanting to use a full face mask while using a chin strap to keep the mouth closed. I missed the part that they were currently using a nasal mask (and thus the chin strap), but were looking for a better full face option.
No apology needed.
Thanks for clarifying

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:55 pm

I would suggest that you consider using the mask liners: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/remzzz ... iners.html
Also, there is a site called http://www.padacheek.com/ they are very popular also.

They help to control leaking. I have to have high pressure for my therapy and leaks were big problem. i currently am using the ZZZ-Mask and it work wonderful with the liners.

I wish you well.. :)

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed May 02, 2018 5:12 pm

Have you thought of a total face mask like Fit Life: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... atures-tab

It may be a challenge for side sleeping, but tweaking the pillow position and also playing with the straps (looser on the pillow side, tighter on the opposite side) might work. It doesn't touch the nose at all.

The downside is that there's a lot of surface area, which means a lot of potential for leaking. But if you can get it adjusted, it may work for you.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm