Development of bumps inside nose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
vander

Development of bumps inside nose

Post by vander » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:24 am

In need of HELP!
I have been wearing CPAP for a few years now. I use Air Sense 10 with DreamWear mask.
I have developed painful, white, round nodules/lumps inside my nose on both sides. It started on one side and has now progressed to the other. I have been to ENT several times with no Diagnosis.
The lumps are always there but not always painful and I really think they are multiplying. The pain usually lasts about a week then resolves. They appear to end up becoming slightly hardened and I have noticed if I pick the top of the lump off, the pain goes away almost instantly.
I have no idea what this is or if CPAP has anything to do with the development of them.
I just need to know if anyone else has ever had anything like this or heard of this ? ? ? ? ? ?

Gryphon

Re: Development of bumps inside nose

Post by Gryphon » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:17 am

Could they be "ingrown nose hairs"?

I don't understand why you weren't able to get more information if you went to an ENT with the issue actively presenting. If your able to scrape something off or take something out and see a resultant change "IE" relief of pain. They should have been able to look at what was removed and give you an idea of what is going on.

How big are these lumps? are we talking pimple size? or larger?

Have you tried a different style of mask? Like a FF or a nose mask that doesn't touch the nairs of your nose?

Are the bumps right were the pillows interface with your nose?

Just a few things to think about.

Hope your able to sort it out soon.

Good luck!

phobos

Post by phobos » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:01 pm

Hi, vander. In recent weeks, I've been getting bumps that are tender when I touch nostrils. (Almost feels like acne?) Can't say they're white as I can't see them. Have used Eson 2 nasal cushion for nine months without a problem until now. I wash my nasal cushion regularly, so can't imagine what's happening. Don't use wipes, creams, or mask liners. Not sure this is what you're experiencing, but I'm baffled. I wonder if my nasal cushion is, at times, sliding up and nostrils are resting on bottom lip of cushion. Could be ingrown hairs, I guess. Would like to know how to get rid of them, though!

Additional Comments: Trying Sleepyhead. Still seeking right mask.
I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? --Ernest Hemingway

dreamingofdreaming

Post by dreamingofdreaming » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:16 am

I had a bump like that inside my nose before I started CPAP. It was there for probably 5 months. I was going to ask my doctor about it at my visit, but was thrown for a loop when he suggested that I needed a sleep study, and I forgot to ask him. After using my nasal mask with a high humidity for few weeks , it went away. I have always had sinus issues and congestion. Unless I am sick, I really don't have those issues anymore. At first I didn't like the humidity, now I need it.

vander

Post by vander » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:44 am

Gryphon wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:17 am

I don't understand why you weren't able to get more information if you went to an ENT with the issue actively presenting. If your able to scrape something off or take something out and see a resultant change "IE" relief of pain. They should have been able to look at what was removed and give you an idea of what is going on.

Have you tried a different style of mask? Like a FF or a nose mask that doesn't touch the nairs of your nose?

Good luck!

The ENT has never seen or diagnosed anything like this before so he had no clue what the lesions are.
He prescribed antiviral medication with no change, then prescribed antibiotics with no change.
Even when I am able to scratch the surface off the lesion and this does alleviate the pain, the lesions never go away.
I was hoping that a biopsy could be done of the area, but because of where the lesions are on the nasal septum itself, it would possibly cause alot of damage to the area that gives support to the tip of the nose, and could cause tip of nose to droop.
The lesions are pimple like size.
I haven't tried a different mask yet because of the cost, not wanting to waste money on a new one, as the one I wear now does not come in contact in anyway, with the area that I have the lesions, I do not believe it is mask related.
I just wanted to put it out here to see if by chance anyone else had any similar issues.
Thank you

vander

Post by vander » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:46 am

phobos wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:01 pm
Hi, vander. In recent weeks, I've been getting bumps that are tender when I touch nostrils. (Almost feels like acne?) Can't say they're white as I can't see them. Have used Eson 2 nasal cushion for nine months without a problem until now. I wash my nasal cushion regularly, so can't imagine what's happening. Don't use wipes, creams, or mask liners. Not sure this is what you're experiencing, but I'm baffled. I wonder if my nasal cushion is, at times, sliding up and nostrils are resting on bottom lip of cushion. Could be ingrown hairs, I guess. Would like to know how to get rid of them, though!

I have no clue why the lesions are developing as my mask does not come in contact with the area at all.

Allessio77

Post by Allessio77 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:04 pm

I also have some sore bumps just inside the tip of my nose on each side (same place). My doc suggested applying some Ayr Nasal Ointment, and I do so nightly, but 5 weeks later I still have them. I don't know if these are the result of therapy or not, but I have never had anything like them before. My humidification is at 4 and the temp is set to 69 degrees.

blacknebula

Post by blacknebula » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:37 pm

I have had the opposite result! I had occasional pimple like bumps in my nose (that lasted for about a week each) for the last 5-6 years but haven't had a single one since starting CPAP. :D

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:55 pm

blacknebula wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:37 pm
I have had the opposite result! I had occasional pimple like bumps in my nose (that lasted for about a week each) for the last 5-6 years but haven't had a single one since starting CPAP. :D
Probably a sign your immune system was weak from damage from Sleep Apnea, your XPAP treatment allowed your immune system, to heal it's self.

Note to OP, Besides a doctor, I'd Go with Vit "C" 1,000 mg timed released Capsules @ twice daily, and some B-100 also maybe @ twice daily. Puts curl in your tail... Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

vander

Post by vander » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:00 pm

Gryphon wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:17 am

Good luck!

It doesn't appear that is the issue as I have been unable to see or find any and ENT could not either.

vander

Post by vander » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:04 pm

Allessio77 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:04 pm
I also have some sore bumps just inside the tip of my nose on each side (same place). My doc suggested applying some Ayr Nasal Ointment, and I do so nightly, but 5 weeks later I still have them. I don't know if these are the result of therapy or not, but I have never had anything like them before. My humidification is at 4 and the temp is set to 69 degrees.
I don't know exactly how to reply to anyone who reply to my original post but I hope this is ok to reply this way?
I have been prescribed and used many ointments with no change.
I have titrated the humidity from the lowest to the highest with no change.
It is so painful and frustrating.
ENT had no clue and I have been researching all that I can and found a possible diagnosis of viral wart. Which if this is it, makes me really question how safe my CPAP machine is, if it can cause viral infections of this kind.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:07 pm

Unless a machine is infected with the virus, there is no way that it is causing viral wars. personally, I would ask the ENT for a referral to someone else who may have a clue as to what it is, or what tests to run. But your xPAP is not causing a viral infection.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:34 pm

TASmart wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:07 pm
Unless a machine is infected with the virus, there is no way that it is causing viral wars. personally, I would ask the ENT for a referral to someone else who may have a clue as to what it is, or what tests to run. But your xPAP is not causing a viral infection.
Ah, the dreaded plastic and silicone eating virus, very hard to get rid of maybe a job for No Clean! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire