AirCurve VAuto query (now gone)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JimW159

AirCurve VAuto query (now gone)

Post by JimW159 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:02 pm

Multi-part question:
1) Where does the ResMed AirCurve VAuto fit in the continuum of ResMed 10 series machines?
2) Would $425 be a reasonable price for an unused one on Craig's List? Or would it be a real bargain?
3) What logical circumstances would lead someone to get one to replace an AS10 AutoSet?

I may not consider it, but one described as brand new (with the explanation that the seller's brother passed away before starting to use it) is on CL for Orlando, FL at that price. It shows a DreamWear mask included. Mention is made of a heated hose but one is not shown.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/hab/d/cp ... 722.html[b][/b]

Last edited by JimW159 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Re: AirCurve VAuto query (and availabilty)

Post by Pugsy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:15 pm

https://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/p ... vices.html

Think of it as the AutoSet with more customizable comfort features and it can go higher if needed.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:06 pm

JimW159 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:02 pm
Multi-part question:
1) Where does the ResMed AirCurve VAuto fit in the continuum of ResMed 10 series machines?
2) Would $425 be a reasonable price for an unused one on Craig's List? Or would it be a real bargain?
3) What logical circumstances would lead someone to get one to replace an AS10 AutoSet?

I may not consider it, but one described as brand new (with the explanation that the seller's brother passed away before starting to use it) is on CL for Orlando, FL at that price. It shows a DreamWear mask included. Mention is made of a heated hose but one is not shown.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/hab/d/cp ... 49722.html
Like Pugsy says, it's an auto-bilevel... the same as the autoset is a auto cpap.
425 is a great price, they're around 1700 from online places.

It's my favorite machine for people that don't have special needs... because it's basically 4 machines in one, (cpap, bilevel, autoset, auto bilevel) and it has a number of fine tuning adjustments available, should they be needed/desired. I use the S9 version of that myself.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:57 pm

If I just hadn't got the news as to how much Uncle Sam gets from us this year I would hop on that price like fly on poop.
If I lived in Orlando I would try my darndest to find the money.
It's a really good deal for a brand new model. Screaming hot deal in my book. Heck just finding a new AirSense 10 AutoSeto for $400 is a good deal.

If you want to buy it...and if you hate it...I will gladly give you what you paid for it as soon as I recover from the coronary I will likely wii have when I write the check to Uncle Sam next week. Right now you have a customer if you hate it. :lol: :lol:
and you might even have more but I got dibs in first. :shock:

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

JimW159

Re: AirCurve VAuto query (now gone)

Post by JimW159 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:13 pm

After attempting to contact the seller and getting no response, he removed the listing. So, I believe he sold it. I was quite prepared to drive the 200 miles round trip today to check it out. Someone was quicker than I. If the buyer is a member here, let us know how things went.

Ron AKA

Post by Ron AKA » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:40 am

JimW159 wrote:
From what I know of it, the machine is a definite step up from the standard AirSense 10 AutSet. It has bilevel pressure control, and some features to fine tune the triggering of bilevel support. I have issues with centrals that are probably not bad enough to get a prescription for it, but if I could buy it cheap I certainly would for my purposes. See pages 4 to 6 in the Clinical Guide for the VAUTO at the link below.

AirCurve 10 VAuto Clinical Guide

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:59 am

Ron AKA wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:40 am
JimW159 wrote:
From what I know of it, the machine is a definite step up from the standard AirSense 10 AutSet. It has bilevel pressure control, and some features to fine tune the triggering of bilevel support. I have issues with centrals that are probably not bad enough to get a prescription for it, but if I could buy it cheap I certainly would for my purposes. See pages 4 to 6 in the Clinical Guide for the VAUTO at the link below.

AirCurve 10 VAuto Clinical Guide
I don't think that machine does anything for centrals.

Ron AKA

Post by Ron AKA » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:41 am

LSAT wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:59 am
That gets into the controversial stuff. My view on that is that EPR which is like a lightweight BiPAP effect does provide some help in addressing centrals. Centrals are when the body just gives less and less of a signal to inhale and exhale, until air flow stops. EPR to a small degree tries to fight that. But ResMed's EPR triggers on flow, and if you don't try to breathe then flow is reduced. So the beneficial effect of essentially forced breathing is not great. Respironics is perhaps a little more beneficial in that they use a timed predictive trigger for their FLEX feature. So it is more of a "I'm going to make you breathe, whether you want to or not" approach. It may not be as comfortable, but may be more effective on centrals. But on the other hand Respironics just shape the exhale pressure curve and do not reduce it as much as ResMed's EPR. Some more info on expiry relief methods can be found here:

Expiry Relief Methods

BiPAP alone really only adds more differential between IPAP and EPAP, so it is more forceful in trying to make you keep breathing. But, I think the real sophistication comes from how the machine triggers the switch from inhale to exhale pressure. That is what the VAuto does with trigger tuning methods. Is it enough to stop centrals? Perhaps not. I think the usual progression is from CPAP to APAP to BiPAP to enhanced BiPAP, and finally to a true ventilator in addressing centrals. Probably ResMed's most enhanced BiPAP is the AirCurve ASV. It does the most to force you to keep breathing even when you don't want to.

I would put the VAuto in the category of modestly enhanced BiPAP, and the ASV in the category of most advanced BiPAP. The VAuto is about a $1100 machine in Canada, and the ASV $5000. Hindsight is always perfect, but if I had known more about these machines and my issue with centrals, I would have bought the AirCurve VAuto instead of the AirSense 10 AutoSet ($900).

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:49 am

Ron AKA wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:41 am
LSAT wrote:
That gets into the controversial stuff. My view on that is that EPR which is like a lightweight BiPAP effect does provide some help in addressing centrals. Centrals are when the body just gives less and less of a signal to inhale and exhale, until air flow stops. EPR to a small degree tries to fight that. But ResMed's EPR triggers on flow, and if you don't try to breathe then flow is reduced. So the beneficial effect of essentially forced breathing is not great. Respironics is perhaps a little more beneficial in that they use a timed predictive trigger for their FLEX feature. So it is more of a "I'm going to make you breathe, whether you want to or not" approach. It may not be as comfortable, but may be more effective on centrals. But on the other hand Respironics just shape the exhale pressure curve and do not reduce it as much as ResMed's EPR. Some more info on expiry relief methods can be found here:

Expiry Relief Methods

BiPAP alone really only adds more differential between IPAP and EPAP, so it is more forceful in trying to make you keep breathing. But, I think the real sophistication comes from how the machine triggers the switch from inhale to exhale pressure. That is what the VAuto does with trigger tuning methods. Is it enough to stop centrals? Perhaps not. I think the usual progression is from CPAP to APAP to BiPAP to enhanced BiPAP, and finally to a true ventilator in addressing centrals. Probably ResMed's most enhanced BiPAP is the AirCurve ASV. It does the most to force you to keep breathing even when you don't want to.
You are so wrong here.

The only bilevel machines that will force a person to breathe are those high end bilevel machines in the NIV category.
The AirSense 10 VAuto is NOT in that category.

You don't have a frigging clue what you are talking about when it comes to this complicated stuff.
I suggest you stick with the basics which you still need to work on and I guess I am going to have to come behind you and suggest that newbies ignore you because you are scary wrong and you might hurt someone.
The cpap forum veterans already know to ignore you.

Ron AKA

Post by Ron AKA » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:47 am

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:49 am
You are so wrong here.

The only bilevel machines that will force a person to breathe are those high end bilevel machines in the NIV category.
The AirSense 10 VAuto is NOT in that category.

You don't have a frigging clue what you are talking about when it comes to this complicated stuff.
I suggest you stick with the basics which you still need to work on and I guess I am going to have to come behind you and suggest that newbies ignore you because you are scary wrong and you might hurt someone.
The cpap forum veterans already know to ignore you.
OK, that's enough from you. Why do you think it is your job here to insult other posters? Don't bother to respond as you are now on my ignore list with a few others.

Ron AKA

Post by Ron AKA » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:53 am

Wow, Pugsy is an administrator here and you can't block her. Now I understand why this forum is the way it is. Too bad. There are many good contributors here that are actually trying to help others. By the way, I am a retired mechanical engineer, and I do know what I am talking about. What are your qualifications?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:58 am

Ron AKA wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:47 am
OK, that's enough from you. Why do you think it is your job here to insult other posters? Don't bother to respond as you are now on my ignore list with a few others.

:lol: :lol:

I saw this coming...too bad I can't put you on my Foe list but someone needs to keep an eye on you.

As for insulting you....you aint's seen insults yet. You did get plain facts and if you have a problem with that you might as well get used to it because I am not the only one to dish it out.
You don't know nearly as much as you think you know.

When you say things that aren't true or factual or misleading or potentially harmful....someone will come along and challenge you.
Get use to it because it will happen and what I said was probably the nicer of the versions you will get.

Won't just be me....god I hope not...I can't spend all my time following this dude around.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:03 am

Ron AKA wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:53 am
By the way, I am a retired mechanical engineer, and I do know what I am talking about. What are your qualifications?
OMG another engineer like the alphabet boy. God help us.

My qualifications...hmmm...let me think on that one...as my first response is none of your effing business.
But 9 years on cpap for one thing...extensive medical training and experience for another...and boatloads of something it appears you don't have...common sense.
Oh and some other stuff that really is none of your business. I am not required to prove a damn thing to you about myself.

I gotta go...don't have time to fight with you as it won't do any good anyway. Learned that with the alphabet boy.

Just keep on doing what you are doing and no one here will do a damn thing to help you or talk to you except to correct you.

Have a nice day....and those of you who know me....know what that means. :lol:

Ron AKA

Post by Ron AKA » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:21 am

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:03 am
Ron AKA wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:53 am
By the way, I am a retired mechanical engineer, and I do know what I am talking about. What are your qualifications?
OMG another engineer like the alphabet boy. God help us.

My qualifications...hmmm...let me think on that one...as my first response is none of your effing business.
But 9 years on cpap for one thing...extensive medical training and experience for another...and boatloads of something it appears you don't have...common sense.
Oh and some other stuff that really is none of your business. I am not required to prove a damn thing to you about myself.

I gotta go...don't have time to fight with you as it won't do any good anyway. Learned that with the alphabet boy.

Just keep on doing what you are doing and no one here will do a damn thing to help you or talk to you except to correct you.

Have a nice day....and those of you who know me....know what that means. :lol:
I have no idea who alphabet boy is, but if he was an engineer and knowledgeable I can see why you may have had issue with him. Engineers deal in fact and science, and qualify their comments when making an opinion that is just that. People that are respectful on a forum come to get help and help others. They do not come to get insulted. That seems to be your standard approach along with ChicagoGranny, Julie, and Palerider. That is why they are on my ignore list, and I would prefer you were too. I retired as the vice president of engineering in a large international company. I was known as a tough manager that "did not suffer fools lightly". Since I cannot block your posts, I will now respond to them with the diplomacy switch turned off.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:52 am

Ron AKA wrote:
LSAT wrote:
That gets into the controversial stuff. My view on that is that EPR which is like a lightweight BiPAP effect does provide some help in addressing centrals. Centrals are when the body just gives less and less of a signal to inhale and exhale, until air flow stops. EPR to a small degree tries to fight that.
As usual, you're wrong. Machines without a backup rate (like the VAUTO) do NOT address central apnea... you're such a fool
Ron AKA wrote:
I would put the VAuto in the category of modestly enhanced BiPAP,
You can put it whereever you like, you're still wrong.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.