Airport security and CPAP unit

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DoubleB65

Airport security and CPAP unit

Post by DoubleB65 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:01 am

First time flying with my unit. Do they always make u take the main unit out of the bag at airport security? Just wondered.

QueSera

Re: Airport security and CPAP unit

Post by QueSera » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:14 am

It varies, both by airport and by TSA agent. At Newark (my nearest airport) they NEVER want to look at it. At Bangor (in Maine, where I visit each summer) they ALWAYS look at it, and at everything else I’m traveling with. Best advice is to be prepared to show it and be glad if you don’t have to.
It's always something. Roseanne RoseannaDanna
I was a victim of a series of circumstances, as are we all. Malachi Constant

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:49 am

Ask them to use fresh gloves to handle it.
With medical equipment, this request is totally reasonable.
You can put each item in a closed ziploc within the carrying case.
Sometimes they won't even open the bags.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:44 am

They are not consistent.

BTW, at the airport in San Juan, Puerto Rico, the sign says which items must be removed from the bag, and CPAP in specifically mentioned.

QueSera

Post by QueSera » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:55 am

Putting your machine in a ziplock is a great idea. Once when they wanted to swab my machine (for bomb residue?) They just reached in through the open end of the bag and touched the machine with the swab, no hands, gloved or otherwise, ever touched it. TSA agents are very used to seeing CPAP bags and machines.
It's always something. Roseanne RoseannaDanna
I was a victim of a series of circumstances, as are we all. Malachi Constant

springman946

Post by springman946 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:14 pm

I have flown many time with my bi-pap machine and they may/will ask you to take it out of its travel case to check for any kind of explosives. any kind of medical equipment such as cpap bi-pap the TSA cannnot and will not count cpap bi-pap machine as carry on

yourbrokenoven

Post by yourbrokenoven » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:51 pm

I was completely unaware of whatever the TSA expected and it's not well posted in the airport if at all. I took a quick flight home from Houston to New Orleans.

Now I heard that my machine was allowed as a carry on. I stuffed it in its case in my backpack to avoid caring more than one thing. Well, after going through the body scanner I got pulled aside and they searched my stuff including the BiPAP. I commented that I was told medical equipment was allowed and the guy told me I had to take the CPAP case out of my main bag.

Anyway, it's just odd that they never mentioned this anywhere but info about what to do with tablets and laptops is everywhere.

chartle

Post by chartle » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:26 am

yourbrokenoven wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:51 pm
I was completely unaware of whatever the TSA expected and it's not well posted in the airport if at all. I took a quick flight home from Houston to New Orleans.

Now I heard that my machine was allowed as a carry on. I stuffed it in its case in my backpack to avoid caring more than one thing. Well, after going through the body scanner I got pulled aside and they searched my stuff including the BiPAP.

1. I commented that I was told medical equipment was allowed and the guy told me I had to take the CPAP case out of my main bag.

2. Anyway, it's just odd that they never mentioned this anywhere but info about what to do with tablets and laptops is everywhere.
1. Not completely sure about your comment but yes its allowed but its till going to be inspected.

2. They see 1,000s of laptops and bottles of medications a day, probably not too many cpap's. In checking the TSA website I think cpaps would fall under large electronics.

Hopeful50

Post by Hopeful50 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:14 am

chartle wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:26 am

1. Not completely sure about your comment but yes its allowed but its till going to be inspected.

2. They see 1,000s of laptops and bottles of medications a day, probably not too many cpap's. In checking the TSA website I think cpaps would fall under large electronics.
A CPAP is classified as medical equipment, not large electronics. As such, it's a "freebie" when it comes to the limit on carry-on items.

Here's a TSA article with some good advice, including NOT putting your CPAP bag inside another carry-on:
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/tsa-rule ... 10222.html

In my own limited experience, you're less likely to have to take the CPAP out of its bag or have it inspected if you're TSA Precheck and/or in a larger airport. But like others have said, it truly varies , even from agent to agent.

Shnorky

Post by Shnorky » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:03 am

Never had any trouble with the CPAP bag (sometimes they want to take a look inside, to check the batteries, but they never touched the machine itself).
Check-in staff, on the other hand, take a look at the carry-on luggage, sidebag, and cpap bag, with huge eyes and go: "you want to take all that on the plane?!" :shock:

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:51 pm

Shnorky wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:03 am
Never had any trouble with the CPAP bag (sometimes they want to take a look inside, to check the batteries, but they never touched the machine itself).
Check-in staff, on the other hand, take a look at the carry-on luggage, sidebag, and cpap bag, with huge eyes and go: "you want to take all that on the plane?!" :shock:
My husband has had his CPAP swabbed for explosives testing several times. Never in TSA PreCheck, but in regular security lines. He travels a lot for business.

I have yet to travel with mine, I've only had it about 2 months. But I got a medical device luggage tag and will find out next month! :D

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

chartle

Post by chartle » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:54 pm

Hopeful50 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:14 am
A CPAP is classified as medical equipment, not large electronics. As such, it's a "freebie" when it comes to the limit on carry-on items.
My point was that even though its a freebie it still must be checked. In other words you just can't say this is a approved medical device so hands off. :wink: