My Aura Adjustments

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tangents

Post by tangents » Wed May 02, 2007 8:53 am

Blarg,

I've been having trouble with my deconstructed Twilight lately. It's not sealing, and I'm not getting much sleep, feels like I'm fighting it all night. Sooooooo, I cyber-shopped CPAP.COM, and after entering my sizing information, I discovered that I'm not a candidate for ANY nasal masks, only two full face masks (shudder!), and a bunch of nasal pillow systems. (Figures the only thing small about me is my nose...) Well, I'm back to the Twilight, because the other configurations aren't going to cut it. I found this thread from RG's Lab Rat Trophy Awards under the viewtopic.php?t=15104(THANKS, Rested Gal!), and I'm trying to understand what you've done. I think that you have made the bend in the wires resemble more of a right angle, like this:

Which would explain why it angles away from your head, if I'm right.

So I'm thinking that it would gently pinch your nose for stability?

Thanks for your help. Cathy[/b]

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed May 02, 2007 11:05 am

Cathy, with your deconstructed Twilight NP, have you been using two legs cut off a pair of pantyhose tights (not just regular pantyhose) routed in one of these ways?

The strap routing I use:
http://www.tnlc.com/Lara/laura/osa/aura-myaura2.jpg

And have you been using a doublestart knot to tie the homemade straps behind your head?
Pictures -- How to tie a double start knot
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/doublestartknot.htm

If you never get it to work well for you, I'll be more than happy to buy it from you. I love having extras of my favorite mask stashed away. Just let me know what you want for it via PM if you decide to let it go in the future
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

tangents

Post by tangents » Wed May 02, 2007 11:46 am

RG - Thanks for the reply. I use exactly the same routing that you do, but I have been using more of a slippery 4-way stretch (swimsuit) material. So I can't use the double start, because it slips. If you think it will make a difference, I will cut some cotton stretch (t-shirt) material strips today and try that tonight. I'm guessing about a 2 inch width would be right?

By the time I'm done with this mask, I doubt that it will be recognizable as a Twilight, because I don't seem to have a lot of choices. So I'll mangle the heck out of it before I give up on it! I'm even starting to wonder if I've been too hard on the pillows when I wash it, etc, because it just doesn't seem to seal anymore! (I can't see any damage, though.) Are the pillows susceptible to damage, or are they pretty robust? I've already had to replace the interface hose, so I guess it's a good thing I didn't want to be a surgeon

Thanks again, I appreciate all the help I can get. I'm getting really tired again, and my headaches are coming back, too.

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Wed May 02, 2007 3:57 pm

I also use the decapitated Aura, so I will add my 2 cents.

I don't bend the wires. In fact, I have the wires fairly straight.

Also, I pull the two pillows closer together -- so the pillows barely touch each other. The newer pillows have a firm plastic insert inside the upper body of the pillows which prevents much manipulation (unlike the older version of pillows). But you should be able to pull them a little closer together if necessary. I use paper tape to pull them together.

Pulling the pillows closer helps prevent some leaks for me.

tangents

Post by tangents » Wed May 02, 2007 4:43 pm

Thanks, Linda, I'll try pulling the sides closer together before I do any bending.

Welcome back, by the way, I missed your posts! How was your vacation?

Cathy

Born Tired

Post by Born Tired » Wed May 02, 2007 8:04 pm

Has anyone noticed how long the pillows last with regular use? I've had mine (2) for quite a while now, and they do seem to be more prone to leaking than when I first got them. I was wondering if anyone else might have been having some leakage that was corrected with a replacement pillow. Maybe it's time that I bite the bullet and buy new ones.
Esther
--
My husband says, "Esther is not a morning person---and it goes downhill from there."

I Thes. 5:16 "Rejoice evermore."

blarg

Post by blarg » Thu May 03, 2007 12:39 am

The bending I did was to get the framing of the pillows to touch the bridge of my nose. That's it really.

And I'd recommend getting pantyhose tights so you can use the double start knot. It's worth it.

And your t-shirt material will probably be nice and thick so you'll feel a huge lump in the back.
I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Thu May 03, 2007 11:18 am

The t-shirt material I use is from a soft woman's stretchy t-shirt with lycra. The Lycra give a nice stretch (very similar to tights). I don't tie my homemade straps. I find a nice fit, and then I sew the ends together. That way I never have to worry about re-tieing every night, nor do I have any excess bulk. That might not work for you, but it sure does for me.

I had a wonderful vacation. Thanks for asking. My two older sisters few in from different states and we three stayed at our local lake camping and fishing for 10 days. Other than a couple of sisterly skirmishes, we had a wonder time. It was probably the last time in our lives that the three of us will be together (due to age, illness, and different locations), so I will remember it with fond memories. Soon will be heading off to Atlanta to visit our son and do some more fishing in Lake Lanier. Can never get too much fishing time. .....

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu May 31, 2007 1:44 pm

Resurrecting this for the new folks. Like ME!

Just got my Twilight today. THANK YOU GILDA! And am printing off this entire thread, for Home Study.

Blarg, how do you wash your pillows with that fleece sewed on? Do you just DO it, and let it dry and call it a day?

AND, you WILL be bringing your whole kit and kaboodle to Seattle Saturday for the Mask Mayhem Party, right?

Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!
Barbara

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

Dark_Star

Post by Dark_Star » Thu May 31, 2007 3:00 pm

My modified Twilight NP Rocks

I actually look forward to going to sleep..
last night I slept 6.5 hours in a row without waking up!
CPAP therapy started on 5/5/07.

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu May 31, 2007 3:07 pm

Lights some candles for me! I have yet to sleep for more than 2 hours at a time in ANY mask without waking up! AND I have yet to go for more than 6 hours total in any mask, period. I just can't seem to stay down longer than that - OR I wake up annoyed and have to take the mask off and take a few more hours of NEKKID sleep.

Cheers,
Barbara

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

blarg

Post by blarg » Thu May 31, 2007 3:26 pm

Babette wrote:Blarg, how do you wash your pillows with that fleece sewed on? Do you just DO it, and let it dry and call it a day?
You got it. It's fabric. It dries.

I figure by the time it wears out it'll be time to get new pillows anyway. And if not, then I cut it off with scissors and do it again. Whatev.
Babette wrote:AND, you WILL be bringing your whole kit and kaboodle to Seattle Saturday for the Mask Mayhem Party, right?
How much is it worth to you?

Yeah, still not sure I'm going, but...
I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu May 31, 2007 3:39 pm

HEY, IT'S PAYDAY, I'M RICH!

Lessee, I already offered a free place to stay, a ride there... I could buy your train ticket?

LOL,
B.

tangents

Post by tangents » Thu May 31, 2007 4:57 pm

Babette,

I think you'll like the Twilight without the headgear. I think one critical thing is the hanging of the hose straight above your head. I haven't done that yet, I hang mine about 1 foot over and 1 foot to the side of the bed. This doesn't let the mask be stable enough, so I have to tie the hose to a "high ponytail" to keep it centered. I'm going to hit my husband up this weekend for a hook right over my head.

I did finally find the perfect material (for me, anyway) for the two ties yesterday. Soft, comfy, sexy leopard print, and no marks this morning! Tra La!

Let us know how you make out!
Cathy

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu May 31, 2007 5:02 pm

Well, I bought that over the head hanger thing from the cpap guy on ebay, but I haven't installed it yet. I suppose that's next on the agenda.

Maybe after I've had some sleep...

Cheers,
B.