F&P HC221LE question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
hotdogsoup

F&P HC221LE question

Post by hotdogsoup » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:35 pm

Hello all my name is Jeremy and I am new to the forum, I have been on CPAP therapy for about 2 years now, and for the most part do very well with it. I am not sure if it is me or my machine getting older, but it always seems like the pressure is getting weaker than it used to be. I was wanting to adjust my pressure up 1 or 2 notches to see if that would help and have searched the internet including this forum and have not been successful on finding instructions to "unlock" the settings. I have read all of the disclaimers and realize that it is not "recommended" for me to adjust the settings, but I do not intend to do anything harmful, I just want to be able to get the most from my therapy. Any help you can give would be very appreciated.
p.s. My pressure is currently at 10.

I look forward to meeting new people on this board.

Thanks,

HDS

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:48 pm

Now might be the time to discuss w/your doctor the possibility of his scripting a loaner AutoPap from a local DME for two weeks (if you use a heated humidifier, or even just a unheated humidifier be sure he includes that in the script!!!). Your family doctor could do this (if he is willing) if the expense and time delay in getting an appointment w/a sleep doctor who is probably going to require a new titration study rather than suggest a loaner AutoPAP is a consideration.

No one can advise you how to access and change your settings because you don't mention what PAP machine you have nor your present pressure settings AND we are NOT doctors.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:49 pm

First you need to fill in your profile so we know what equipment you have. Then during your sleep study were there any central or mixed events? Do you have any other medical problems? This is all important when you want to raise pressures.

Brenda

hotdogsoup

Post by hotdogsoup » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:58 pm

Sorry I put my machine type in the title of the post and not the main part. My machine is a F&P hc221LE. I am currently using a F&P infinity mask. I will update my profile now

I was thinking it may be getting time for a new machine, it is just such a pain dealing with the insurance company, and finding time to make an appointment.

As for the other question I have no other medical conditions to speak of. Thanks for your responses.

tater pie

Post by tater pie » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:01 pm

I have the same machine and have figured out how to up the pressure. On the side of the machine where the readout window is, there is a little slot door that you can slide off. Inside this door are two buttons. Just turn on the machine and let it reach your pressure and then turn one of the buttons and forwards or backwards to adjust the pressure. I think it is the small button for the pressure and the big one for the ramp but I'm not sure and my machine is in my room and my grandbaby is sleeping in there now. When you turn the little button, you'll see the pressure readout display go up or down depending on which way you turn it. It's that simple.

dsm

Post by dsm » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:50 pm

I just sent a PM re this as I have an HC221LE (but not in front of me).

Yes there is a small door on the right bottom edge & IIRC the right knob can be pushed in & it springs out (I think) & can be turned left or right to adjust the pressure. Then push it back in again.

Good luck

DSM

#2 PS, I found the HC221LE to be a great machine. The blower is rock solid & there is no variation in the blower noise that I could notice, when breathing out.

Here are some pics of one dissassembled (should show the panel where adjustment is done)

http://www.internetage.com/cpapinfo/fp-hc221-dis-1/

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): DME
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:15 pm

DSM, you are just such a marvel. INTERESTING pics. I couldn't find one of these PAP machines offered at cpap.com

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:12 pm

Slinky, the HC221 is discontinued.

The replacement, the HC-233, is also rock solid.

hotdogsoup

Post by hotdogsoup » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:29 pm

Thank you to all who replied. I had an appointment with my DME today and as I thought my machine was not working properly, so I was able to get a new one. Now maybe I won't need any pressure adjustments. I ended up getting a Fisher and Paykel HC604, I just brought it home this afternoon and set it up. I also switched mask to the Mirage Swift. We will see how the first night goes, I appreciate all of your help and am very excited to have found this forum of knowledgeable people who share my condition.

dsm

Post by dsm » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:09 pm

HC604 is another good solid F&P machine - it has a heated hose built in as part of the whole system.

The humidifier in these machines when combined with the heated hose, is even better than the great HC150 heated humidifier.

I am sure you will be happy with it.

Cheers

DSM

hotdogsoup

Post by hotdogsoup » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:20 pm

Thanks Dsm, I think you are right, I can't wait to try it out. Humidity is a must for me, I tried a machine without humidity when I was first diagnosed and had to jump through hoops to return the original one and get the HC221. I didn't know much about the machine before going to my appointment today, but everything I have read so far indicates that it is a pretty good machine.

neversleeps

Post by neversleeps » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:22 pm

Jeremy, I love your avatar! Here's a picture of another hotdog:

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:28 pm

Giggle. Great picture, NeverSleeps.

I've had the use of the HC 100 heated humidifier and its a GREAT humidifier. I sure like it a lot better than my Humidaire 3i!!! Other than the convenience of an attached humidifier over a stand alone.

hotdogsoup

Post by hotdogsoup » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:52 pm

neversleeps wrote:Jeremy, I love your avatar! Here's a picture of another hotdog:

Thanks neversleeps. I have seen that pic before. lol. I am going to have to put that in my profile. I am the proud owner of a mini Dachshund so I created this username for another message board that I post on, and when I saw the "hotdog" av on that site I knew it was perfect so I had to have it here also.
Last edited by hotdogsoup on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dsm

Post by dsm » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:54 pm

Some trivia on F&P humidifiers ...

The HC100 H/H was the earlier model & is the same as the HC150 H/H except they added what they call ambient tracking to the HC150. This feature is supposed to adjust the temp of the hotplate in response to variations in room temp.

I have used both the HC100 & the HC150 & to me they both did pretty much the same good job.

When the HC100 1st came out it was very expensive as they sold it with a water chamber that has a stainless steel base. That water chamber is absolutely the best & if you have a HC100 or HC150 & want a water chamber that lasts forever, try to get one. When they were for sale they were over $US99. Occasionaly they show up with a HC100 second hand & are worth grabbing if you can as most sellers let the whole lot go for $50-$60 or thereabouts (some times even less).

The same heating unit as the HC100 H/H was used in the F&P HC201 cpap (these cpaps had no LCD so setting the pressure requires a CMS meter). The HC221LE cpap I believe, has the same heating unit as the HC150. The 604 I am guessing also has the HC150 heater but of course includes the heated hose as well.

The standard F&P H/H water chamber has an aluminium base. Even slight damage to the membrane that covers this aluminium base, will quickly ruin the chamber as the water & aluminium react & produce odd growths that float from the damaged spot. One of our members here mentioned how he cleans his std F&P water chambers by using a 'water pik' (these are teeth cleaners that squirt a water jet & are used to clean between teeth).

Trivia session over

DSM