I'm a Bass Ackwards Contrarian?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
derek

I'm a Bass Ackwards Contrarian?

Post by derek » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:39 am

Geez, I see sooo many posts that say if you're having problems with nasal congestion the solution is to turn up the humidifier - to the point of rainout.

Did that - problem got worse , every time I increased the level. My nose gets completely blocked on the lower side when sleeping on my side. Cure: turn off the humidifier. No blockage at all. Image
Anybody else found this?
I guess it's a case of whatever floats your boat...
derek

LDuyer

humidifier

Post by LDuyer » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:47 am

Sorry, I've not had that problem, so I can't relate.

But, I wonder if maybe the heat from the humidifier might help to expand those veins or whatever in your nose, making the swollen parts more swollen? When you turned off the humidifier, did you still allow the air to pass over the water of the humidifier? Maybe the cooler moisture is some help to those nasal passages. Just a thought. (I have no idea what I'm talking about!)

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:15 am

I remember reading that some folks can't handle the heated humid air... I can't seem to find the reference tho .

Ultimately tho, do what makes you feel better!

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:23 am

derek,

I'm one of those touting the "crank up the hummidity" solution. If I'm really congested, I have to sleep on my back semi-upright, using pillows to prop me up. I found in a horizontal position I would get too much back flow (if you know what I mean). The hummidity will loosen things up, but you also need it flowing in the right direction.

Sorry to hear you are all plugged up...not fun!
Last edited by wading thru the muck! on Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

unclebob

Post by unclebob » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:53 am

Hi derek and LDuyer,

I have been on the hose one month now and my sinus congestion seems to be getting progressively worse. The heated humiifier is at 3, highest setting.

LDuyer's response makes sence to me and am going to give it a try. Off with the humidifier, will just go the passover route.

Thanks for the suggestion, any improvement will be most welcome.

Bob F
unclebob

LDuyer

Hi Bob

Post by LDuyer » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:15 am

Hi Bob,

Gosh. Hope my suggestion works for you.

Let me know if it does.
After the hellish depressing weekend I've been having, to know I was actually RIGHT about something one time could really make me smile!

Linda, who misses Liam but sure likes to read his blog/website.

ablemonk

nasal congestion/humidifier

Post by ablemonk » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:09 am

After repeated sinus infections, I began using the
Fisher-Paykel Oracle Oral with humidifier. I am on anti-cholinergic (drying) medications so I have no problem with drooling. I also have had no problem with sinus infections while using the Oral Oracle. As it is entirely through the mouth, nasal congestion is not a problem. After three months of use I feel I can recommend the Oral Oracle to anyone having problems with leaking or painful face masks or humidifiers or nasal congestion or sinus problems. At Cpap.pro the Oral Oracle is $99.00. I paid almost $250.00 at my local hospital Home Care service. (Home of the $21.00 Tylenol tablet.)

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:35 pm

As to people tolerating/not tolerating heated humidity, I find that it's mask dependent.

For example, when I first got my machine, I had a full face mask (which I still have, for those nights when getting air through my nostrils is tougher than getting a penny out of Scrooge's fingers), and I found that with the H/H turned on, I felt like I wasn't getting enough air. The warm, moist air just feels like I'm continuously rebreathing my own exhalations, and whether it's true or not, my brain convinces me I'm not getting enough air.

On the other hand, I have found my compliance with the Swift is FAR higher when the H/H is on, because without it, I can wear it for about 30 minutes and then my sinuses close.

So while I haven't experienced EXACTLY what you have, I certainly am not the "H/H is good, more is better" cheerleader that some are.

Liam, who prefers his humidity as condensation on the outside of a frosty mug.

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:40 pm

Liam wrote:Liam, who prefers his humidity as condensation on the outside of a frosty mug.
You've discovered a new use for the humidified cpap. Just pull a cold mug out of the freezer and point the hose at it. Voila! Instant frosty mug!
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:22 pm

It goes something like this. One cause of congestion is your blood vessels in your nose expand to try to increase the moisture to your nose. Turning up the humidity helps in this situation.

http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/Articles. ... d=S0311F05

So does a sudafed. Both is even better. Before those with heart problems and High BP chime in. It is expected that you know enough about your health conditions that you not take Sudafed if you have these conditions.

And keep that mask clean also. Dont want any little critters growing in there.

Cheers,

Chris

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:15 pm

chrisp wrote:And keep that mask clean also. Dont want any little critters growing in there.
Yeah, you're right. In hindsight, hooking it up to the "Habitrail" that my gerbils live in was probably not my brightest idea.

Liam, who loves watching those little critters blown across the cage.

(No, not really. I'm not into cruelty to animals. But the image is funny.)

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:33 pm

I've read of some people having more congestion if they turned up the heat on their humidifiers. Probably due to what Linda (LDuyer) mentioned - expanding the blood vessels in the nose even more. For others, like Wader, more is better.

I've also read where some with asthma have more trouble the more warmly humidified the air is. Yet other asthmatics need a lot.

I like the humidifier's heat fairly low and use the heated hose with it. Even before getting the heated hose, if I cranked the humidifier's heat up a lot (just under the point of getting rainout) I noticed I'd have little coughing fits during the night, and into the next morning.

I guess everyone's humidification mileage varies - it's a good thing the heat can be turned up and down...and off, if need be.

sleepyinwi

Oracle

Post by sleepyinwi » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:50 pm

Hi
Regarding the Oracle- I have a full face mask, nose and mouth. Does the Oracle do the same thing?
Sleepyinwi

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:05 am

sleepyinwi, the Oracle fits somewhat like a scuba mouthpiece, in your mouth only...not covering the nose at all. Well, it's not exactly a scuba mouthpiece fit, but that describes it more so than any other kind of cpap mask. It's not like a full face mask at all.

With the Oracle, one flap is in your mouth, between the front of your teeth and behind your lips. The outer flap is across the outside of your mouth, like a big patch. You might want to click the "Search" button at the top of this page and look for the word Oracle in previous posts. It's a "love it" or "hate it" kind of interface. Takes a LOT of heated humidification to keep it from drying the mouth out pretty badly, imho. I have an Oracle but rarely use it...have yet to make it a whole night through with the Oracle before changing back to my more comfortable Ultra Mirage FF mask.

The Oracle is purely for mouth breathing. You're not supposed to breathe through your nose at all when wearing it. In fact, one of the biggest problems with using the Oracle, for me anyway, was nose-leaks....air snorting out the nose. Fisher and Paykel provides some noseplugs with the Oracle. Those nose plugs are rather uncomfortable, imho, having to be wedged up tightly into the nostrils to withstand air snort leaks.

ablemonk

Humidifiers

Post by ablemonk » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:55 am

I suggest that you do not buy the nose plugs from Oracle as they are expensive and they slip out easily. I would use swimmers' nose clips or better yet one inch White
Transpore adhesive tape to cover the nostrils until you get used to it which usually takes two weeks and then you probably will have trained your breathing to not breathe through your nose. I usually get up once in the night and wash the three plastic pieces of the mask in Palmolive soap and water and then start over. The mouth can get dry, but with a good humidifier this should not be a very serious problem. Swishing a mouth wash can stimulate saliva.
For those with chronic nasal congestion or sinus trouble I feel this mask is mandatory and it is up to the patient to find out how to make it comfortable, because they don't really have a choice except perhaps a clumsy full face mask. which often makes the nose very tender and has a greater area to develop air leaks.