Waking Up With Headaches

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jrfoster

Waking Up With Headaches

Post by jrfoster » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:13 pm

I now have over 650 hours on CPAP, using a Remstar Auto with Cflex. Recently I have been waking up with headaches in the back of my head, and still feel like I am on CPAP! Almost like a tension headache. The 'funny' feeling on my face goes away in a couple of hours but the headache hangs on most of the day.

My face mask is not on too tight, and is comfortable to wear. I don't know if I am holding my head in an awkward position at night to make sure the mask vents are not blocked by my pillow?

I am also waking up at least 5-6 times at night and having to turn over, as I am a slide sleeper. I wish I could learn to sleep on my back and maybe the problem would go away?

Any others dealing with headaches in the back of your head?

Jeff

RestlessRoper

Post by RestlessRoper » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:46 pm

I have never had a problem with headaches. My problem is high blood pressure, which can cause headaches and other problems. After about 10 days on CPAP my pressure has taken a huge drop. I went to the Dr and had my meds reduced. In two weeks we will try to reduce the meds some more.

I don't know anything about you health, BUT if you do not know your blood pressure it would be wise to have it checked.

Best of luck to you.

Ted

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:29 pm

I have nothing on the headaches, but if you had the software and reader, you could get a better handle on what your treatment was doing. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

jrfoster

Post by jrfoster » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:14 pm

Goofproof wrote:I have nothing on the headaches, but if you had the software and reader, you could get a better handle on what your treatment was doing. Jim
I did have the report for 15 days from Oct 26 thru Nov 9th, (15 days).
It said the following: Average Obstructive Apnea Index was 2.6
Average Hypopnea Index was 3.5 for an Average AHI of 6.1. It also had a Average vibratory snore Index of 20.2
Average Max leak was 95.5, Average 90% leak of 36.5, Average Leak of 33.7 with Average large leak of 0 minutes.
Another statistic said average time in apnea per day was 6 minutes.

The DME just gave me the forms with the statistics with a handwritten note that said "You are not having any huge mask leaks and your respiratory index is ranging from 3.4 to 6.5 which is good."

So, all you experts out there, are the numbers above good, or do I need to some somthing? Thanks.

Jeff

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:15 pm

in a word... probably the answer that you'll get is no

strive for ahi of 5 or less

JimH

Post by JimH » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:23 pm

i wake up with headaches in the morning when I don't sleep with the mask or I had a bad night with leaks. The headache can be caused by a low oxygen saturation level (below 90?) or sleeping position. I was always a stomach sleeper. On a good sleep night, I don't wake up at all and turn to the side etc. That's when I know I had a good night.

Jim

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:28 pm

Your leak rate is a little too high, that causes the snoring to be too high. Your pressure may be too low, that's why you need the software. Jim

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): DME
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

jrfoster

Post by jrfoster » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:36 pm

Goofproof wrote:Your leak rate is a little too high, that causes the snoring to be too high. Your pressure may be too low, that's why you need the software. Jim
My APAP is set from 5 to 10, And according to the report when at 10cm my AHI is at 4.9. But it also said at 9cm the AHI was 3.9.

My prescription is for APAP set from 4-10. Do you think I might need it at 11 or even 12? What should I ask my doctor? Thanks.

Jeff

ca_hosehead

Post by ca_hosehead » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:47 am

I have had a pattern all of my life that caused headaches. It goes like this:

1.) Get sleep deprived.
2.) Get a long and/or deep night's sleep to catch up.
3.) Wake up with a headache that hangs on all day.

I don't know why this occurs. I used to think it was due to sleep position, that staying in some odd position for most of the night was the problem. But actually since I started CPAP I have been sleeping upright in a chair (I am having a nose problem, which is another story) which is a completely unique position, but the headaches are the same.

Before CPAP I didn't have headaches since #2 just didn't happen. I always got stuck on #1. Since CPAP I have been sleeping a lot better and a lot deeper and been getting some tension headaches again.

Let us know if you make any progress. I am hoping that as things smooth out the headaches will go away. My circadian rhythm is completely whack so I am working on regular sleep-wake times. I am having a procedure to handle the nose next week and I hope that will get me back into a real bed.

RobertinTX

Post by RobertinTX » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:05 am

IMHO......
It's O2 level dropping...I recently tried using O2 at a low level in addition to my cpap, there is a port for hook up on my mask...Wala no morning headache..
I'm not a Dr. or anything, I've just been on cpap a long time...And got tired of the morning headaches.
Good luck cause I know what it's like.

Now if I could find a hosehead companion,
life would be gr8...

SelfSeeker

Post by SelfSeeker » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:11 am

Jeff,

I started getting headaches a couple of weeks after starting CPAP.

I was clenching my teeth, which started causing headaches and pains.

I wrote a topic about it (Weird Headaches, Pains etc, Read On.):

viewtopic.php?t=15293&highlight=teeth

My disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nor have I ever worked in the health care field Just my personal opinions.